Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My B-52 Drag Chute Hammock

Ok so this one isnt mine but one I made for my Flight Equipment Officer as a going away gift. He is a B-52 pilot so he REALLY likes his! I have made many of these as gifts for military retirements, changes of command for commanders I liked, and close friends. Each one is different, and personalized with the individual's name embroidered at the head, and maybe a stencil too. this one has a "B-52 in a circle" stencil to resemble the peace sign.
    I got the idea when I was deployed. I was walking thru tent city, and noticed a rope style hammock on the front porch area of one of the tents. Since I had about 10 unserviceable chutes and was looking for something to do with them other than trash, the idea was born. At that time, I made them on a "case by case" basis, and never went thirsty. And, since the weather was always nice where I was, I'd sleep in mine every night I had off duty. I was happy when I would see others using theirs.
    The hammock is made from the gore of a B-52 deceleration parachute. Each drag chute has 48 gores, so when the chutes went bad there were plenty of hammocks that could be made. The gores were wider at one end and narrower at the other, so the "head end" of the hammock turned out a little wider. This is a good thing, since there is hardly any "squeeze"...I would cut the gore out, and save the suspension lines to make ends. I'd wash the gores to get all the jet engine exhaust off of them since they get really dirty. Then I'd buy some 1 1/4" PVC pipe and cut it to make spreader bars. Then, if I wanted to go the extra mile to make a nice presentation, I'd add cup holders, a magazine net underneath, and make a bag like bag chairs come in. Of course, I would do this all on "my time" and use my pocket change to cover the materials.
    Mine is packed away in my pop up trailer, and its waaaay too hot outside to set it up, so I stole this pic from my FEO's facebook page! (Hope you dont mind, sir!) lol. Next time I'm out in the boondocks, I'll be sure to get some pics of mine to share with you guys. I know this is not nearly as elaborate as some of the hammocks I've heard you guys talking about, but I thought you'd all get a kick out of it. The spreader bars keep it from packing down small, but they really make a difference in comfort--I'd guess this one is as comfortable as any!

For reference, Here is a picture of a B-52 with the drag chute deployed. If you look at the lines, there is a little space in the parachute canopy between each line. That is one gore. The canopy material is slotted like you see in the hammock so that air can escape when the parachute is deployed. The chute is so big that it would rip itself apart if it didnt have this feature. Works good for a hammock too! lol
    Last edited by Jet noise; 07-07-2012 at 17:35.

That last image didn't come through but you can see one by google imaging "B-52 Drag Chute" if you are bored and want to see one.

That's a great looking hammock and an excellent use of materials on hand. And it looks like your creation might be converting an impressionable would-be tenter into a happy hammocker!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly Camo
    Insulation
    NADA in SE TX
    Suspension
    straps
    Excellent creativity and use of salvage material. I like it!
    Smarter than your average bear!

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Summer Hammock .. very nice !! ..
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Cool!

How many deployments before those chutes are removed from service?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    And, how did you make that pvc black???
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Gringo, the drag chutes have a service life of 160 deployments. But, some do not live that long until they are no longer economical to the government to repair. The one in the pic probably had fewer than 100 deployments when it was removed from service.
    The PVC gets sanded and then spray painted black to match the edge finishing trim.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    That hammock looks very nice! What a way to repurpose the chutes! Really nice job!

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Really Cool!

I know those are liked by all who receive one. Heck...I would love it and I don't even like flying...
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast