dd frontline
    Tarp
    fox tarp
    Insulation
    thermarest prolite
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by lattie11581 View Post
    A gear hammock could double as a pack cover if you add a channel along the perimeter and sew in 1/2" waistband elastic. I might add small pockets on the ends to stow the suspension while in cover mode. I have an order fromOWF due to arrive tomorrow! !!
    I like that idea, I would have to get some waterproof nylon, but it would definitely do the job

Quote Originally Posted by kobold View Post
    i would and i really like the idea as well as the jrb ghpc, but since i hang my hammock low - so my legs can reach the ground - there is never enough space left for anything but a few inches of air... must give it some thought i guess.
    You can also hang it above you or next to you (against the side of the hammock) but it would probably have to be smaller in that case

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation View Post
    I'm looking at this as well, but I definitely want it to work as a camp seat as well. I'm thinking that I will add the drawstrings so that it will also work as a pack cover, making it a gear hammock/camp seat/pack cover/signaling device (since I'm making it out of blaze orange material ).

I also set my hammock up pretty low, so I'm not sure how well it will work running it under. I think that I'm going to add a tab to the bottom of mine so that I can stake it out and pull it off to the side. Got that idea from MacEntyre. . .

Love to see some more pictures of folks that are actually using theirs.

SN
    since I make it from the same material as my DIY hammock, a campseat is no problem at all, I have the blaze orange too

Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    I have one i Made a while back .... it's a pack cover/Gear hammock like the one JRB sells ... it spends most of it's days in my pack
    sometimes i'm just too lazy to set it up
    hehe, that probably means the weather is good and you're just chilling out in the hammock asap
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    I have experimented with my Bushman's Chair that Paul at AHE sells as a gear hammock. Unfortunately/fortunately MandyDawn found out how comfortable it can be when sitting by the fire, taking an extended break on the trail that I feel I may never see it again. Looks like Paul may be getting some more business soon!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTorch View Post
    To get into hammocking i made a diy hammock out of a bedsheet and paracord. I think i found my new gear hammock!
    yup, no need to go fancy. who needs nylon anyway

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Take a look at this video. Around the 7:30 mark, Scott discusses the gear hammock and the way to string it up under the tarp. Probaly the best way to keep your gear handy.
    The whole video is worth a look, Scotts a great guy.
    Bonsaihikers vid.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Jeff cloned the Molly Mac Gear Box and reported about it in this thread.

I recently improved it in a big way by adding Hangnout bugnet style shock cord in the hems.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Finally made my own DIY gear hammock. Details are here

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I just got one of the Bushman chairs from Paul at AHE. I plan to try and use this as a gear hammock as well...
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Modded GG 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, mummybag
    Suspension
    whoopies/marlins
    I tend to take at least one extra hammock with me when I go camping. Planning for both catastrophic failures and the occasional friend wanting to try hanging.

My most recent hangout, we had 6 people hanging and one guy sleeping in the bed of the pickup. Since we couldn't store everything in the truck, I threw my extra hammock up as the "Utility Hammock". Its a cheapo "military" spreaderbar hammock. Gave it it's own ol' blue tarp to keep things dry (very rainy weekend) and threw all the extra nonsense from camp in there. Good way to keep the camp table cleared off when we wanted to sit down and play cards and such, and a good place to toss something that's in your way and you dont feel like locating the owner.

My personal stuff typically goes into a stuff sac hanging from my sling, but I'm a big fan of having a large, open hammock to store random nonsense in.

Hammock
    dd frontline
    Tarp
    fox tarp
    Insulation
    thermarest prolite
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    I like having the idea of having an extra hammock, if curcumstances allow it, especially when you're with friends.
    thanks, and welcome to the forums Salem!
    Quote Originally Posted by salem View Post
    I tend to take at least one extra hammock with me when I go camping. Planning for both catastrophic failures and the occasional friend wanting to try hanging.

My most recent hangout, we had 6 people hanging and one guy sleeping in the bed of the pickup. Since we couldn't store everything in the truck, I threw my extra hammock up as the "Utility Hammock". Its a cheapo "military" spreaderbar hammock. Gave it it's own ol' blue tarp to keep things dry (very rainy weekend) and threw all the extra nonsense from camp in there. Good way to keep the camp table cleared off when we wanted to sit down and play cards and such, and a good place to toss something that's in your way and you dont feel like locating the owner.

My personal stuff typically goes into a stuff sac hanging from my sling, but I'm a big fan of having a large, open hammock to store random nonsense in.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator/WL XL TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing & Whoopies
    I have one of those survival net hammocks that I use as a gear hammock. It also has many uses: Chair, back up hammock, fishing net, camouflage, and to store food up in a tree away from animals.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12