Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hennessy accessories

I'm contemplating the explorer deluxe. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and/or opinions about the snakeskin and the water collection/tensioner systems? They seem like they'd be useful/functional, but being new to the hammock scene and having no experience at all, I'd be interested in other's opinions. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I'm contemplating the explorer deluxe. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and/or opinions about the snakeskin and the water collection/tensioner systems? They seem like they'd be useful/functional, but being new to the hammock scene and having no experience at all, I'd be interested in other's opinions. Thanks.
    Never tried either, many here like snakeskins, I like a "Blackbishop Sack", named for it's inventor. It is simply a sleeping bag sized silnylon stuff sack with a hole poked through the end (with a hot coat hanger) and left in place on the foot end rope. Your hammock and underquilt go inside and you can't lose the sack.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I've always thought of the water collection/tensioner as something of a gimmick. I could see perhaps using a weight on the tarp ends (a bag of sand or dirt), though.

The snakeskins are genuinely useful and are a good way to deploy/pack things quickly. But, along the same line of thinking, I think a Bishop's Bag is even better for use with the hammock itself. Maybe the best of both worlds would be to use a Bishop's bag on the hammock body, and use snakeskins on your tarp seperately.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBB1.7, HH EXP UL , Claytor Nonet
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, RMS
    Suspension
    buckles or whoopie
    Images
    I like the snakeskins, very simple and quick

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    The tensioner isn't all that great. I built one to try and it was way more fiddling than I want to do in camp; and on dry windy and/or dewy nights you still need some way to keep tension. The tarp tensioners are far better suited for this than the water bottle tensioner.

I like the snake skins (DIY) and use them like Angrysparrow stated, on my tarp. I either use the built in stuff sack (Travel Hammock) or I just roll the hammock up and wrap the suspension webbing around it, no stuff sack.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    HH Expo and a ENO double
    Images
    I have been using the water collection/tensioner systems for a couple years now. It has reallt treated me well. As the bottles fill up with water they pull the tarp down. Here is a picture of my setup at PWYP06. The nice thing is that you wake up with two bottles of rain water ready for use..

Last edited by CursedKarma; 01-28-2008 at 03:19.
    I trust everyone, it is the devil in side them i dont trust.
    (Sua Sponte)

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Does the water collected have debris in it or taste like silnylon?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    HH Expo and a ENO double
    Images
    There are these little mesh things you put between the bottle and the collector it stops the debris. And no the water was great. It was rain from Chestnut mountain NC. And everything is always good up there.
    I trust everyone, it is the devil in side them i dont trust.
    (Sua Sponte)

Images
    snakeskins are well worth the $19 you spend on them, it makes it so simple to setup and pack away!!!

I use the snakeskins on the hammock, very useful product. I agree that the water bottle tensioners are a little gimmicky, just more crap to carry and mess with. Why not just fill up the bottles and attach them to your tarp when you set it up?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast