Tarp
    Green Cat
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    SMC rings / straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    I bought a Singer Simple sewing machine from Wal-mart. 17 stitch. Paid $90 for it. Nice machine.
    I was eyeing that one yesterday on lunch break. I think I made the little old ladies in the sewing section nervous.

I've looked at Craigslist and have not had much luck there. There was an "industrial" one listed for my area but one of my issues is it needs to be on the smaller side and needs to be easily moved. I don't have alot of room. The Singer Simple seems to fit that bill.

FanaticFringer, how does the Singer Simple do on webbing? I assume you'd have to take it slow..

Guys, thanks again for the input and keep it comming.

Images
    Don't rule out industrials because of size. Search for the model online. You might see that they are more portable than you think.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    if money was no object, i'd get a Husqvarna!
    i had a Husqvarna chain saw & it was a good one... probably still is but some trash stole it

i've been told the Husqvarna sewing machines will do everything but wash the dishes ...but oh that price tag
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I also have been looking for a new machine. I've seen so many industrials on ebay. But I also looked at a new Janome 1600 dbx. It only does straight stitches, not even a Zig Zag, and it's too much money. But a guy can dream. I too am worried about my machine, a Janome rx18, making it much farther the way it sounds when going through 3 layers of webbing.
    I am thinking a used heavy duty, all steel, with a large motor will be better, then use the one I have for light stuff. Just my thoughts.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Works great on the webbing/velcro that I've sewed.

Quote Originally Posted by hdbint View Post
    I was eyeing that one yesterday on lunch break. I think I made the little old ladies in the sewing section nervous.

I've looked at Craigslist and have not had much luck there. There was an "industrial" one listed for my area but one of my issues is it needs to be on the smaller side and needs to be easily moved. I don't have alot of room. The Singer Simple seems to fit that bill.

FanaticFringer, how does the Singer Simple do on webbing? I assume you'd have to take it slow..

Guys, thanks again for the input and keep it comming.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    I have the Brother 10 stitch. My husband bought it for my B-day almost 6 years ago. I have made 5 large quilts lot of costumes, girls clothing, and now it is on to making hiking/hammocking gear. To make this statement a little more funnier is: Quote "I am buying the cheaper one, because she will use it once and then it will sit in the corner and never used again." he said to the little old walmart ladies. Now look at all the stuff he talks me into sewing for him. HMMMMMMMMMMMM the irony!
    "O give thanks unto the Lord, for He is good: for His mercy endureth for ever." Psalms 107:1

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Allow me to gloat a bit. I bought a new machine today. Made by Janome, which is what I had, it is a Kenmore Computerized machine. Not too awful fancy though. It does have up/down button, lock stitch and a few cool things, but I cannot believe how much better, smoother, quieter it does on webbing. I have been making quite a few double ring and cinch buckles, where I sew three layers of webbing. This machine just does it so much smoother. I really think ANY of the new machines in medium price range is such an upgrade to the older medium duty machines. I's grinnin!

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Thanks to yall I had to buy my wife a new sewing machine today. It is an industrial OMEGA 605DOM. I think it can do anything but make me a grilled cheese sandwhich, it may be able to pop popcorn though . She used all of yall and your orders as an excuse for me to buy it. I hope that it works out well for her. It has 88 stitches, including stretch stitches that work well with elastic and slippery fabrics (Sil). I'll let yall know how well it works when we get it in.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    Thanks to yall I had to buy my wife a new sewing machine today. It is an industrial OMEGA 605DOM. I think it can do anything but make me a grilled cheese sandwhich, it may be able to pop popcorn though . She used all of yall and your orders as an excuse for me to buy it. I hope that it works out well for her. It has 88 stitches, including stretch stitches that work well with elastic and slippery fabrics (Sil). I'll let yall know how well it works when we get it in.

Dwight
    Congratulations! That sounds like one nice machine. Enjoy.

Hammock
    DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    Green Cat
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    SMC rings / straps
    Images
    I'm still looking..I looked at a Janome 3125 that was on sale last week at Hancock Fabrics on line.

My mom (been sewing for years) lives close HF so she went to check it out for me. She said it looks like a solid quality machine. It may be the one I go with.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast