Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetbabyd View Post
    glad you will be there Oh-No! does this mean i need to bring you some Pizza from Brother's?
    Mandatory. Do you mind packing in their brick oven?

To get back on topic, I hope to get there a couple of days early,
    though that may be wishful thinking. Slave to my job.

I'm hoping Happy Camper can order up the same weather we had
    last year. Awesome! I'm spoiled.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Last year's weather was unusual (except for Thursday night). It had been dry for weeks, so the trails in DS North were mostly above water.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1ecoyote View Post
    Uh. I am paraplegic. I need to motor to the site. I can toddle around a bit, but hiking is out of the question.
    I know there is a short road (gated) up to the old Bell Knob Look out tower; I would have to check it out for good hanging, but I do believe it might be a good place. I think it is about 1/4 to 1/3 mile and not steep. I have not been up it for a couple of years though. I will check it out my next trip up (probably next weekend).
    The campground is pretty decent. Bring your own water though!. I have heard that if you can actually get water outta the pump, it is pretty skanky.
    The toilets are accessible and reasonably clean. Might be a good option. I will check it out too, and see how many sites look good for hanging.
    The boardwalk is getting a bit rickity and it is a bit narrow (some folks took horses over it year before last, and it was not made for that kind of weight). The campsites up in the woods are nice, but the terrain is pretty rocky.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I was able to get out for a hang this weekend and I did a bit of checking too for easy to get to hang places and this is what I have come up with so far:
    Bell Knob Look out tower road: Road is decent, but no way around the gate.
    Campground: It was full, so I could not get up close and personal, but site 12 looked like it had possibilities.
    Other places: I found a nice site back in some red pines along the road, near the Beaver Dam Trail (not to be confused with Beaver View Trail).
    It has a decent path back through the trees. The trees look to have been planted, so they are very nicely spaced and about 10 inches and up in diameter. There is a pull off that would hold 2 vehicles and the Beaver Dam Trail head is about 100 to 200 yards away and this will hold about half a dozen or so cars. The path was soft with pine needles and about 3 to 4 feet wide. It sits along the road, but I don't think safety would be a problem.
    I hope to have some pictures of the site up shortly. Pics now up: [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Country Roads; 07-10-2011 at 19:00. Reason: To add photo urls.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Country Roads,

Thanks! That looks nice. If it was empty when the campground was full, that's a good sign. The Beaver Dam Trail goes from the road to the Dobbin Grade Trail. It looks like there's a stream halfway on the Beaver Dam Trail (.3 mi. from the road). Given the name, I'd be sure to treat the water carefully. We'd probably want to bring in water anyway. Here's a snapshot of the map for others. I circled the trailhead.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I think the stream is a wet weather stream (but we have been having a bit of that lately), but the actually beaver pond is at the end of the trail. I most generally take my water if I am camping close to the road and I use a really good filter otherwise, since the old beavers have really reclaimed their stomping grounds over the past couple of years.
    I know the site I mentioned is close to the road, probably within the forest service 300 foot of the road rule, but they don't seem to mind if you camp close to the road as long as you don't have a band and strobe lights

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    I haven't been able to be on the forum for a while, but i was checking the thread for updates. I'm still planning on attending, though I haven't figured out any details. I'd like to go up a day or two earlier and make sure I see everything this time.
    I like big hammocks - I cannot like.

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    I haven't been able to be on the forum for a while, but i was checking the thread for updates. I'm still planning on attending, though I haven't figured out any details. I'd like to go up a day or two earlier and make sure I see everything this time.
    Hey, Trout!

Be great to see you again. We met at T-Days 2 years ago; you had hiked in with my good friend Happy Camper.

Looks like several folks are planning a pre-hike into this gathering and will be there early! I hope to be there Wed. or Thur. (09/14 or 09/15) and will set-up the first night at the Red Creek Camp Ground.

Where is everyone meeting up...?
    Happy Trails,
    J.D.

I never drink water. I'm afraid it will become habit-forming.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I'm going to take a look at the Dolly Sods map and re-read comments left here and decide on a Friday night campsite and a Saturday night campsite. Hopefully we can do it like last year where people can decide how far they want to hike and pick different routes and we all will meet up at the campsites.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    I'm going to take a look at the Dolly Sods map and re-read comments left here and decide on a Friday night campsite and a Saturday night campsite. Hopefully we can do it like last year where people can decide how far they want to hike and pick different routes and we all will meet up at the campsites.
    Good move! I'll go with your decision - much better than an endless poll. With a number of pre-hikes likely, we can all get together and compare notes on the various trails. "Campfire Trip Reports!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast