Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Oh, beautiful panorama shot, Mike! I can see the trees I hung from last year. That's where we camped Saturday night, and it may well be where we gather this year. It is certainly central, and it's a great place for a group hang. It is actually close enough to the Red Creek Campground that it could be used as a Friday campsite before we move on to another one for Saturday. What do you think of hiking in the 2.9 miles to this spot after dark for late arrivals? I guess with advance notice we could arrange for a "guide" to meet people at the campground.
    If you have people that arrive late at night to the Red Creek Campground, there is a site about 250 yards in on the Blackbird Knob Trail. It's off to the left of the trail. I've night hiked into there before...someone has even hauled in a picnic table.

Hiking to the above site wouldn't be too bad at night IMO. You'll have to cross the right fork, which could be a little hairy. It might be easy to lose the trail just after the crossing, where it goes uphill to the left to meet the Upper Red Creek trail. Otherwise, since the trail is in good shape, it's an easy hike, day or night.

From the junction of the Blackbird Knob and Red Creek Trails, you turn left to go .75 miles to the forks, or continue straight to go .65 miles to the left fork and the campsite above.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCStang View Post
    If you have people that arrive late at night to the Red Creek Campground, there is a site about 250 yards in on the Blackbird Knob Trail. It's off to the left of the trail. I've night hiked into there before...someone has even hauled in a picnic table.

Hiking to the above site wouldn't be too bad at night IMO. You'll have to cross the right fork, which could be a little hairy. It might be easy to lose the trail just after the crossing, where it goes uphill to the left to meet the Upper Red Creek trail. Otherwise, since the trail is in good shape, it's an easy hike, day or night.

From the junction of the Blackbird Knob and Red Creek Trails, you turn left to go .75 miles to the forks, or continue straight to go .65 miles to the left fork and the campsite above.

If you keep going not too far past that site you mention you will come upon the site #1 from the group hang on the right.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    There is a pretty nice place, and pretty large, just off Raven Ridge Trail.
    Head out Bear Rock Trail, intersect Raven Ridge Trail and head towards Cabin Mtn. About 50 or so yards after passing the Beaver View Trail sign there is a spruce grove on the left (a bit of a trail leads to it). Nice large area back in the spruces. The trees provide some wind protection too. The views of Cabin Mtn are nice.
    Water is down in the valley just (a buskwack trail), head downhill until you hear water and then just look around a bit for it; it will be a tiny little baby stream. This is the headwaters of the Left Fork. The water is ice cold and tasty. It is about 1/4 mile or so round trip for the water.
    Might be a problematic hike for folks that have not hiked it before. After crossing the Right fork and reaching the top of the climb, the actual Bear Rocks Trail does a sharp right turn (not straight ahead, although that is a nice hike too). The Trail cross several board walks after leaving the valley along the right fork; if no board walks, you are on the wrong trail. Other than that, it is a pretty easy walk and very scenic.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post
    There is a pretty nice place, and pretty large, just off Raven Ridge Trail.
    Head out Bear Rock Trail, intersect Raven Ridge Trail and head towards Cabin Mtn. About 50 or so yards after passing the Beaver View Trail sign there is a spruce grove on the left (a bit of a trail leads to it). Nice large area back in the spruces. The trees provide some wind protection too. The views of Cabin Mtn are nice.
    Water is down in the valley just (a buskwack trail), head downhill until you hear water and then just look around a bit for it; it will be a tiny little baby stream. This is the headwaters of the Left Fork. The water is ice cold and tasty. It is about 1/4 mile or so round trip for the water.
    Might be a problematic hike for folks that have not hiked it before. After crossing the Right fork and reaching the top of the climb, the actual Bear Rocks Trail does a sharp right turn (not straight ahead, although that is a nice hike too). The Trail cross several board walks after leaving the valley along the right fork; if no board walks, you are on the wrong trail. Other than that, it is a pretty easy walk and very scenic.
    That's the kind of thing I was hoping you'd add to this discussion - nice places that aren't the most obvious choices. For folks that want to explore DS North that would be a great Friday night campsite, or it could be a place to gather on Saturday. Thanks for the info about water. I have looked off to the left as I headed for Rocky Ridge and wondered about camping there.

Hammock
    Hennessey Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Lots of it!!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Not being particularly mobile, are there sites where we cripples can congregate? This will be my first larger hang in.
    Silver on the Sage, Starlit Sky's above, Swingin' from the trees in a Hammock that I love.....

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    There are some pretty nice places up Blackbird Knob trail near the trailhead.
    Hmm, let's see. Down Bear Rocks Trail about 1/2 mile across a small creek, but before starting up the short climb are some nice trees (I have not camped there before though). There is also a nice place along Dobbin Grade about 1/2 mile or so from where Bear Rocks Trail crosses it. It is on the right hand side near a bend in the creek. Nice place, you could probably hang several hammocks there.
    Wi1ecoyote, No sure how far you might want to hike, but there are some nice places near the Rorhbough plains overlook; down Wildlife trail (1.3 miles pretty easy but can be muddy in places and which has some nice spots on it) to Rohrbough plains trail; go left on Rohrbough for about 3/4ish to the overlook and look for sites back in the woods.

An often overlooked trail is Beaver Dam Trail. It is only 3/4 miles long, but has some nice trees not much more than 1/4 mile in and it has nice scenery!

Alternatively, there are nice sites along South Prong trail after it makes its turn to the west (the trailhead at the top of the mtn, not the bottom), but the easy way it so hike out Forest road 70 and then up to the sites along south prong creek.

I will think on it a bit and see what other places I can come up with. The Sods has something for everyone!
    Sorry for the long post, but a person spends more time yakking about what excites them and the Sods is my favorite subject.

Hammock
    Hennessey Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Lots of it!!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Uh. I am paraplegic. I need to motor to the site. I can toddle around a bit, but hiking is out of the question.
    Silver on the Sage, Starlit Sky's above, Swingin' from the trees in a Hammock that I love.....

Hammock
    warbonnet BB 1.1 single layer
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben fiber
    Insulation
    cottage down
    Suspension
    whoopie, Flyz, CRL

Brother's Pizza from Langhorne

Quote Originally Posted by Oh-No View Post
    Well, no suggestions, but I'm up for anything. I'll just be happy
    to be back in the woods again.
    glad you will be there Oh-No! does this mean i need to bring you some Pizza from Brother's?
    who learns will love and not destroy
    the creature's life, the flower's joy

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1ecoyote View Post
    Uh. I am paraplegic. I need to motor to the site. I can toddle around a bit, but hiking is out of the question.
    Well then, we will need to get someone up there early and secure a campsite at Red Rock C.G. - When it is DRY, you should have no problem motoring around the C.G area. It's a dirt road circle with ten campsites and most have trees that you can get to easily. If it's raining....? Don't know what your rig is like; but, when it pours, it really washes thru there. Getting back into the areas that have been mentioned would be a problem. There is a boardwalk; but, doesn't go in that far.

I plan to be there and will assist in whatever way I can. BTW, grew up on a far outside Wooster.
    Happy Trails,
    J.D.

I never drink water. I'm afraid it will become habit-forming.

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiLite View Post
    Would love to join you guys. Anyone driving out from DC?
    Hey, YogiLite! I am down the road here in Woodbridge, VA = Metro DC
    Happy Trails,
    J.D.

I never drink water. I'm afraid it will become habit-forming.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast