DIY
    Tarp
    diy Mac Cat
    Insulation
    down uq
    Suspension
    SLS mule tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny's_Trike View Post

Just got back from Bike Week in Daytona where I camped for 5 nights and was the only hammock in the campgrounds. Probably 200+ tent campers. Good size group of BMW riders strolled over to check out my hammock. Many were very pleased with what they saw.
    Hahaha it seems so fitting that the BMW riders would come check it out. They are kinda in a league their own. Way to go for them, maybe you converted some.
    You don't sleep on the ground at home, why would you expect me to out here?

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HH HexFly
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Rings w/Caribiner
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxM View Post
    Hahaha it seems so fitting that the BMW riders would come check it out. They are kinda in a league their own. Way to go for them, maybe you converted some.
    One thing about the people who ride the BMW's. They can pack more stuff on a motorbike than most can get in a short bed pickup.

Interesting couple I met while I was there. They were from Sweden and had been traveling on their BMW's for 19 months with just over 47,000 miles traveled. The trip was passed to me second hand with destinations and it was all just a blur at best. I do recall they had traveled across Russia and around Australia. All I know is my Harley surely rides better than those over loaded Beemers and I cant imagine riding that far through the countries they traveled.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    This is my ride:

2010 Suzuki GSX 1250 SEA. The installed bags you see, and my large, drybag style duffel bag, and I can stay on the road indefinitely. Just feed me and the bike.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    C'mon guys...lets get this back to the jungle hammock topic.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    40* TQ, 20* Zeppli
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    any of the riders here ever get together for a ride and hang? after years of riding cruisers i've recently inherited my dad's goldwing and was looking for something to do with all this storage.
    Live for today, Prep for tomorrow.
    Pack and Paddle Events Page
    SBJ Outdoor Concepts

frankly i hadn't considered the age of the nylon- other than assuming that if it was sealed away it would be fine. have to reconsider that. what i was trying to do is sample what life would be like with a bridge style hammock. and since it's carried on the bike weight wasn't an issue. i have seen the gi hammocks in print since my time in service...and always wanted to try 'em

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Most of the old style military hammocks are canvas and hence would still be fine unless they got abused.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird Double Layer 1.0, DYI
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutchware
    Images

Vietnam Jungle Hammock

Quote Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo View Post
    does anyone know of a source for the 60-70's gov. issue, jungle hammock? i would prefer new but would consider used , as long as it was still serviceable. ebay seems like too much of a gamble. i might be 20 years behind the curve, but would like to use one for motorcycle travel
    Gr8t,

Did a little web searching for you. Found this Army Surplus Warehouse. Looks like a viable site. You can purchase with Pay Pal for protection.

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/...e-hammock.html

Haven't purchased from them myself. Price is good 29.95

Quick Overview
    US Genuine Government Issue Vietnam Jungle Hammock. We just got these in and they are beautiful. Brand New never used, dated 1968. Designed to roll compactly for easy carry, these olive drab nylon jungle hammocks are great for backyard or campsite. Complete with plenty of sturdy nylon line and sewn web reinforcement. Hammocks measure 34" wide x 84" long. Genuine G.I. and extremely hard to find. Great for collectors or for camping. ***NOTE** These are just the nylon body rest with ropes. There is no netting or roof with these or poles of any kind.
    I hike with SCISSORS cause it makes me feel dangerous ... LoL

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HH HexFly
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Rings w/Caribiner
    Quote Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo View Post
    does anyone know of a source for the 60-70's gov. issue, jungle hammock? i would prefer new but would consider used , as long as it was still serviceable. ebay seems like too much of a gamble. i might be 20 years behind the curve, but would like to use one for motorcycle travel
    Quote Originally Posted by HWS View Post
    Gr8t,

Did a little web searching for you. Found this Army Surplus Warehouse. Looks like a viable site. You can purchase with Pay Pal for protection.

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/...e-hammock.html

Haven't purchased from them myself. Price is good 29.95

Quick Overview
    US Genuine Government Issue Vietnam Jungle Hammock. We just got these in and they are beautiful. Brand New never used, dated 1968. Designed to roll compactly for easy carry, these olive drab nylon jungle hammocks are great for backyard or campsite. Complete with plenty of sturdy nylon line and sewn web reinforcement. Hammocks measure 34" wide x 84" long. Genuine G.I. and extremely hard to find. Great for collectors or for camping. ***NOTE** These are just the nylon body rest with ropes. There is no netting or roof with these or poles of any kind.
    I think at this point in this thread, it needs to be discussed exactly what the_gr8t_waldo has in mind with referring to a 60-70's gov. issue, jungle hammock.

Let me see if I can give what knowledge I have of this and you pick which hammock your referring to.

There have been several US Military Issue hammocks since as far back as 1942 and possibly previous to that.

We have the WW ll issued Jungle Hammock which is referred to in Post #6 and the following link:
    http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...l=hammock&st=0
    http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...hp/t95411.html

Then we have the Vietnam Era issued Jungle Hammocks:

The M-1965 Jungle Hammock with tarp and net attached. This is of a lighter design, but nearly the same as the M-1943 version.
    http://www.militarylogisticsmfg.com/p0001019.html

The M-1966 which was referred to in the thread by HWS. As you will see in the picture, this hammock was designed to use a standard poncho as shelter.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=400175634457

There was also a hammock produced under Govt Contract which was similar to the M-1966 but it was also universal to be used as a litter. This was accomplished with the two 3” lengthwise channels which would hold supports made from available material in the field for transporting the non walking wounded.

So you can see, there is more here to chose from than just saying a 60-70's gov. issue, jungle hammock.

My thought here is that you have the M-1965 in mind. There are repoductions of the M-1965 available from many sources which are online stores if your not into the Ebay thing. Here is a link to Amazon.com for you to check out: http://www.amazon.com/Fox-Outdoor-Ju.../dp/B001RQGPKK

Hammock
    WB Blackbird Double Layer 1.0, DYI
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutchware
    Images

GI (Good Information)

[QUOTE=Sunny's_Trike;430890]I think at this point in this thread, it needs to be discussed exactly what the_gr8t_waldo has in mind with referring to a 60-70's gov. issue, jungle hammock.

Sunny's_Trike;, Understood!

I hope the the_gr8t_waldo reads your updated post. I'm sure glad I did.

Very informative thanks for sharing.
    I hike with SCISSORS cause it makes me feel dangerous ... LoL

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast