Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images

First Hang!

Greetings HFers. I've been a long time dirt dweller but was looking for ways to lighten the load for long distance hikes. Then I stumbled upon HF.net. I've been lurking here for a few months now and am excited to say I finally spent my first night in a hammock. I've napped in one before, sure, but this was a FULL night's sleep. Well, almost a full night's sleep.

After a long day of wilderness trail work in SNP I made it to a maintenance hut and hung my rig for only the second time (the first was a practice run over the Christmas holiday). Please don't judge, but my first time last weekend...was an indoor hang. So maybe I'm still a virgin for not having braved the cold in my sling but I assure you all I at least did some heavy petting. And as cold as it got in that cabin, I'd say I rounded third.

Had some problems dialing in the hang and angles and all that other stuff (the only two viable attachment points I had were at different heights, however I made it work with some webbing wraps and whoopie adjustments), but I know that will all come with time and experience.

Speaking of cold, for all you other newbies out there hoping to get by in sub-40 degree temps with a medium width pad under your tookas, let me just say you're in for an uncomfortable night of CBS. And I’m typically a warm ground sleeper, too. My GoLite TQ kept my front bits toasty, but at 3am I found myself doing a little Riverdance routine while putting on every single piece of clothing I had with me. Johnny longstockings, puffy jacket, extra socks, fleece gloves, hat, wetsuit, spacesuit, hirsute, his suit, you name it--I was putting it on!

Wow, what a way to spend a weekend! All day sawing logs clearing the way for thru hikers and weekend warriors, and then all night sawing logs in my hammock (except for the clothing jig mentioned afore). Surely I'll keep sleeping in the dirt from time to time, unless someone can verify—with photo or video evidence--that a hammock can accommodate two people (wink wink, nudge nudge, knowdamean?), but I am truly down with being up. So far, all I know for sure I'm going to miss is snuggling with my best girl Rika. My husky circled underneath me for what seemed like forever before realizing that her daddy was suspended and not coming down for pre-snooze nuzzle time.

First thing I did when I got home was order an underquilt from Stormcrow. Can't wait to get it and warm my tail feathers in that thing; until then I'll just tough it out. But what's so tough when you're hanging in the woods?

Ahh, yes...digging a cathole in semi-frozen ground. After chili mac.

So, just want to send a special shout of thanks out to everyone in this wonderful community who takes the time to offer up advice on ANYthing hammock-related to us new folk. Also, to all the cottage vendors I've had the great pleasure of dealing with thusfar: I promise to do everything I can to continue supporting folks like you in my continued gear gluttony. And of course, Shug, especially--your videos have kept me (relatively) sane through torturous winter days here in my office cage. I've learned almost as much as I've laughed. Sure hope to run into the likes of you in my walkabouts. Not like I won't hear you coming or anything, though.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Flangler:
    Welcome to HF from Bama.........quite the intro you got there!!!!!!!! Its good to have ya hanging out with us and look forward to many more trail tales/tails in the near future. As far as a cuddle partner in your hammock, just watch out for her claws.......if you know what I mean!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great post. Look forward to reading more about the warming of the buns. . .

SN

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    Great post. Thanks for doing the trail work!
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Can you hear me coming now!!!??? Terrific intro....you are a fine wordsmith.
    That new UQ from Stormcrow will end the clothing jig ...though I would like to see that dance.
    Sound like your having fun.
    Ask Cannibal about two in a hammock.......
    Whoooo buddy,
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    PapaSmurf 1.1 dbl W/ Bug Net
    Tarp
    MIL Issued Poncho
    Insulation
    ACU Sleep System
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Outstanding intro there. Good to have you here on the forums with us.
    Surely I'll keep sleeping in the dirt from time to time, unless someone can verify—with photo or video evidence--that a hammock can accommodate two people (wink wink, nudge nudge, knowdamean?), but I am truly down with being up.
    I don't think this would be hard seeing as how you should try to hang at about sitting to butt level.
    I swear I have never killed an axe, but might be a cereal killer just cant help it with a name like life it has to go down. -Wildcrafter-

ON ON!

Hammock
    PapaSmurf 1.1 dbl W/ Bug Net
    Tarp
    MIL Issued Poncho
    Insulation
    ACU Sleep System
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Outstanding intro there. Good to have you here on the forums with us.
    Surely I'll keep sleeping in the dirt from time to time, unless someone can verify—with photo or video evidence--that a hammock can accommodate two people (wink wink, nudge nudge, knowdamean?), but I am truly down with being up.
    I don't think this would be hard seeing as how you should try to hang at about sitting to butt level. Especialy seeing that there are a few vendors who sell two person hammocks.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Hey Bat--I've been following your journal! Just got back from clearing another 6 miles in SNP yesterday. 2 miles or so of that is managed by our crew leader from yesterday and he has 75 (75!) waterbars and check dams stacked up in there--it's like a broken escalator. Most of that will be on the downhill for you, though. But please, mind your step.

Sorry if you mentioned it in your journal and I missed it, but are you hiking with your guide dog? Best of luck to you and I look forward to tracking your progress on TrailJournals. Feel free to hit me up when you're in the northern section of Shenandoah and need anything. I'll be sure to always have some trail magic with me when I'm out there working and playing, and will keep an eye out for you in the coming months. You know...in case you forget to pack any food!
    -Flangler

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Thanks for the kind welcome everyone. Spent a very cold and miserable night on the ground last night. For the love of all that is holy....when is my UQ going to get here??
    “Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.” -Sigurd Olson

• + New Posts