Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ENO One Link Options??

I have been thinking about getting the ENO One Link System. I was wondering about which way to go with the various options. I am 6'2" and weigh 200lbs. I will probably start out using one of my backpacking ground pads in the hammock with me. Is the Single large enough to accommodate a full-length pad while laying on a diagonal without putting too much pressure on your feet/ankles, or should I go with the Double? It appears that most people seem to be really happy with the Double, so I am thinking it would be more than enough room for what I am wanting. I just can't seem to find the answers I am looking for on the Single with the searches I have tried. If I do go with the Double, is it worth it to get the Insect Shield version?

Also, I have seen some mixed reviews on the different options on the rain fly. Which fly would you go with, and why? The reported weights on the Fast Fly, Dry Fly, and Pro Fly are all 22oz per ENO's site, so weight isn't a factor for consideration. I like the look of the Dry Fly, but wonder if the cat cuts are too aggressive, especially with the smaller stated size of that fly. Right now I am leaning towards the Fast Fly to get the most coverage.

Thanks in advance for helping an inexperienced hanger.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images

Imho

My wife and I use ENO One Links with DNs and love 'em!
    For $10 I think the DN is worth it unless you're gonna be a gramophobe.
    I'm 6-2 & 170# and I don't get very diagonal. I certainly don't get nearly the diagonal my wife gets. At 5-0 she can almost go perpendicular! I do sometimes get stress under the knees if I'm not flat enough. But I just need to bend my leg to relieve it.
    Here if Florida we take bugs seriously! The Guardian bugnet is up to the task. I just don't like the idea of sleeping all night wrapped in bug poison so I'm just not comfortable with concept of the insect shield. Besides, the bug net gives me someplace to set light weight gear overnight.
    We use the Dry Fly and are very happy with it. I like the cut because it channels the water effectively, even in a heavy rain. It does a great job of keeping you dry in the hammock, but owing to its compact size, there's never going to be enough room under there for a chair, table, recliner or your 56" flat screen.
    Now... on to my crusade...
    DON'T... I repeat... Do NOT buy ENO's SlapStraps (CrapStraps) or Slap Strap Pros!! They are made of nylon and will stretch, stretch, stretch! You'll be back on the ground by the middle of the night.
    ENO makes a great product and has clearly put a lot of research into the materials used on their hammocks. So why, oh why won't they switch to one of the many superior materials for their straps?! It boggles the mind...
    Bottom line:
    It's a great, ready-to-hang system right out of the bag. You can't go wrong. (Just get different straps for suspension - we use tree huggers and whoopie slings)
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images

P. S.

Welcome to HF!!
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    No opinion on their tarps. I read the warnings, never tried one.
    SlapStraps aren't the greatest thing. I've got a box of them, but I let folks I don't like borrow those.
    Not a fan of the Guardian. Just too heavy for my taste.

Most are vastly more comfortable in the doubles vs. the singles. As usual, I'm an exception. I actually like the singles just fine; slept in one for a couple of months at home. That said, the doubles are pretty groovy. My girlfriend and I slept double in a double for about 2 or 3 weeks on the AT.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I think you'll be more comfortable with the double.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wvbowhunter View Post
    I have been thinking about getting the ENO One Link System. I was wondering about which way to go with the various options. I am 6'2" and weigh 200lbs. I will probably start out using one of my backpacking ground pads in the hammock with me. Is the Single large enough to accommodate a full-length pad while laying on a diagonal without putting too much pressure on your feet/ankles, or should I go with the Double? It appears that most people seem to be really happy with the Double, so I am thinking it would be more than enough room for what I am wanting. I just can't seem to find the answers I am looking for on the Single with the searches I have tried. If I do go with the Double, is it worth it to get the Insect Shield version?

Also, I have seen some mixed reviews on the different options on the rain fly. Which fly would you go with, and why? The reported weights on the Fast Fly, Dry Fly, and Pro Fly are all 22oz per ENO's site, so weight isn't a factor for consideration. I like the look of the Dry Fly, but wonder if the cat cuts are too aggressive, especially with the smaller stated size of that fly. Right now I am leaning towards the Fast Fly to get the most coverage.

Thanks in advance for helping an inexperienced hanger.

ENO Tarps:

ENO Slap Straps:
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    See? I told you I read the warnings!
    "3 snaps in a Z-formation"
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    To elaborate for the OP, I've tried both the Slap Straps and the Dry Fly. I got rid of both as soon as I could. The Slap Straps, as previously mentioned are made out of nylon, which stretches like mad. In all fairness, nylon is meant to stretch. This, however, makes it not exactly the best material for hammock suspensions. The Dry Fly tarp will be just find if you never, ever have wind driven rain. Once the wind starts to blow rain even a little bit, anything under that Dry Fly is going to be wet. It lacks sufficient coverage to keep you dry effectively. The cat cuts are way, way, way too deep. I've never used the Guardian bugnet, but do know that it's heavy. You can get better and lighter for about the same price.

ENO hammocks are comfortable hanging for sure. I still have a Double Nest that has been refitted with Whoopie Slings. Both the Single Nest and the Double Nest are comfy, but you'll get a flatter lay on the asym with the Double Nest. No matter which one you go with, you'll probably be comfy. Beware, that first hammock is a "gateway drug" of sorts. It won't be long before you move up to other hammocks, other accessories, experimenting with different suspensions, other options, etc. Basically, your first hammock is:

Welcome to the madness and best of luck, no matter what you choose! Remember, it's only a hobby, right?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Shenandoah
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Welcome WVBowHunter!

I am 6 ft 165lbs and I own the One Link system with the Double Nest and the Pro Fly. I also own a Single Nest. Here is my opinion:

If you are going the One Link route, definately get the doublenest. At 6' 2" you won't be nearly as comfortable in the Single Nest, and especially with a pad.

As far as the insect sheild, I believe it is basically just a permethrine treatment on the hammock. If this is the case, I would say to buy the hammock without the insect sheild, and you can always buy a can of permethrine for under $10 if you want to treat it later.

As far as the rain fly, I think the pro fly would offer the best rain protection.

Having said all that, I will confirm what Hooch said as I have upgraded my ENO suspension to Whoopie Slings, and I am currently looking for another setup such as a Hennessy Jungle Hammock

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies
    I have the fast fly and I don't get all the negative attitudes towards them. I used it with a ENO DN bakc in february and it rained from 1am until we left around 10am. I stayed dry the whole time. With that being said, I am still swithcing out to either the chinook 12x14 or the Kelty noahs tarp 12. I am 6'5 and it didn't offer me enough room to stand and get dressed under it. But while i lay in my hammock, my entire kit was dry. I am simply looking for more coverage and since I am "strong like ox", I don't have to be a gram weenie. a few ounces here or there for the added comfort of being dry doing menial chores like getting dressed, packing, cooking, or even sitting under to play cards with my buddy, more coverage is needed. But as far as quality, i have no issues with the eno tarps. But don't get the slap straps.

I actually ordered tree hugger straps from Clarks (hammock mfgr) and use those connected to whoopies (thanks tendertoe and stormcrow), all linked up to black diamond climbing 'biners.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast