1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie

What width and why

Consider this a companion to the "What length and why" thread.
    I want to make my own three season UQ.
    I have never seen a UQ in person, but have read much on this forum.

It seems they are generally around 40 - 50 " wide.

I want as narrow as possible to save space and weight.

I understand and like the side channel suspension, but I do not understand how you are insulated below if you sleep diagonal unless the UQ is 60" wide.

So I guess the follwo up question is how do you get your UQ suspension to give you diagonal coverage?

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    I RECENTLY made an underquilt. Like you, the questions I faced were daunting.Finally, after deciding that imitation is the sincerest form of flatery, I decided to imitate the JRB Mt. Washington.

About width; although your hammock material it 60 inches wide, it scrunches up and is no where near that wide in use. JRB adds a tie on each side corresponding to the Hennessy side pull outs. In this way, the underquilt is fastened to the hammock and pulled into a more diagonal position.

The points I picked up by pouring over anything written on the subject is:
    1. The quilt must be designed with the lower panel bigger than the upper, so that the down isn't compressed when the quilt is snugged up against the hammock.
    2 I used drawstring channels on the ends. These have to be tightened A LOT to prevent air leaks on the ends. I put loops on the corners for the main rigging.
    3. I just made it to the same size as the JRB. When properly installed, it is big enough and quite warm.
    4. I ran my channels crossways, rather than lengthways, because JRB did it that way. I don't really know why they do it that way. Maybe something about down migration.

Hope this helps you a bit. Good luck on your project.
    grinder

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Grinder has layed it all out nicely! I'll add that I make my quilts 40" wide and I am 6'-1" and 200#.

I do cheat in one area - I make the UQ a parallelogram. I start with fabric 6" longer than needed, then cut off a 6"x40" triangle at each end. That way I have a long diagonal and a short diagonal. Just make sure you cut it for the direction you lay in (i.e. head left, feet right or whatever, this WILL be an asymmetrical directonal quilt!

For what it's worth, I run my baffles lengthwise, not crosswise, that way I don't worry about cutting the net baffles circular to account for the differential between the outer and inner sides of the quilt.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Are all asymetrical UQs suspended by loops in the corner. It seems an asymetricla UQ cannot be suspended by shock cord channels.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Some UQ's are a simple rectangle, which is fine, especially if you lay both ways, but they are not asymetrical. My motivation for making mine a parallelogram was to shave weight, but still have a long enough quilt while I lay on the diagonal.

BTW, my asymetrical quilt is suspended by shock cords running throughout the side channels and it works just fine, although that's certainly not the only way to do it.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I use the Mount Washington 3 from JRB and just hook it through the four corners by shock cord over the hammock ends. I did add some 3/32" shock cord to the two tieout tabs mentioned and attach them to my ridgeline. That really snugs it up nicely. The whole thing stays very taut and doesn't need full length channels, in my opinion. Will say that I also snug up the end channels really tightly.

SN

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for the replies guys. It sounds like I can get away with 40".

I'm not much of dual purpose gear guy. But someone on here posted a DIY UQ that was a down vest. UQ and jacket are two bulky items never used at the same time so I am thinking of getting something like this: http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net...?a=453043&pn=2
    cutting the sleeves off, adding a shock cord suspension system and voila.

The only way to figure out how wide (and long!) you need your underquilt to be is to prototype.

You could take a piece of cheap fabric (even an old bedsheet, you can fold it to the dimensions you want to try out so you don't have to cut it up) and tie the corners with some shock cord to your hammock, get in, and see if the way you lie in the hammock is comfortably covered by that size underquilt.

Keep in mind that you won't get full insulation loft to the very edge of the underquilt (the baffle narrows as it gets to the edge of the quilt) so make sure that your underquilt goes a couple inches past the edge of your body.

This prototyping is also really useful for determining how long you want your underquilt, as well as how much fabric you might want to dart out of the ends to create a bathtub shape, if you are making a shaped quilt.

I think it is a good idea to have baffles running the length of the quilt, because the curve of the hammock is much steeper from side to side than along the length, and a more vertical edge means that gravity will be more likely to pull your down into the center of the quilt and away from the edges, if that makes sense.

• + New Posts