Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Been there too...it's an easy section. Rock is relative on the AT. This section is not a big deal rock wise....now beyond Port Clinton that ration of rock/dirt increases and in places like the mile before Wolfe Rocks there is no ratio.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Thanks! Good to know. I've been with friends on some of that AT trail in PA that is all rock. It was fall, the trail was wet and slippery and the leaves were down. You couldn't tell what was rock or what was a small opening that was going to bust an ankle or hiking pole. The one thing that made it easier is that it was a day hike and I didn't have a fully loaded pack.

With this post I was trying to figure out if I had to be mentally and physically prepared for that kind of hike. Sounds like I can relax a bit.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Thanks! Good to know. I've been with friends on some of that AT trail in PA that is all rock. It was fall, the trail was wet and slippery and the leaves were down. You couldn't tell what was rock or what was a small opening that was going to bust an ankle or hiking pole. The one thing that made it easier is that it was a day hike and I didn't have a fully loaded pack.

With this post I was trying to figure out if I had to be mentally and physically prepared for that kind of hike. Sounds like I can relax a bit.
    Hi HC,
    Relax a bit?? Only until the next batch of rocks. It has some very nice sections of trail and some PITA sections as well. The best time to hike it is when the Rhodies are blooming but you'll be early for that. Blueberries and Huckleberries abound but again you'll be early. You will just have to come back in June!
    Here's some pics I found in my files.

The Hilton of trail shelters just north out of Caledonia is Quarry Gap shelter. Like they say, park at Caledonia, hike through the park, up Chinqain Hill (sp?) through a gorgeous Rhodo hollow to the ridge, another 20 minutes and you're at the shelter. James Stouch, the caretaker, has it completely outfitted, even for hangers I think. Nice digs.
    Birch Run shelters are new, water plentyful, rocks, yes, but not real anklebusters like farther north in PA. There is a firetower at Big Flats, just off the trail. Used to be able to climb up to the cabin on top, but they may have fenced it all in by now.
    Tom's Runs shelters next I think then into PGF. If you have time take the blue blaze to Sunset rocks Vista...really nice and secluded wildernessy feel.
    Just watch out for the Rattlers. I have a video of one curling up along side of one of my backpacking teens who was camping on the outcrop of rocks there. Quite a show. It was early in the morning and he wasn't moving very well. Just be careful, ratllesnakes are plentyful in PA.
    Milesburn cabin is pictured here. You can drive to it but it may be reserved for the weekend and overflow parking may not exist. Halfway between Caledonia and PGF is Shippensburg Rd. The AT just acquired a house as a new "shelter" just down off the trail on S-Rd. You could probably park there too. That's where Big Flat firetower is as well, but on the ridge.
    Whatever you decide to do, have a great time, see you at MAHHA.
    Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 2Questions; 03-22-2011 at 18:25.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    this is a sign a hundred miles north (near route 309) but in the same state

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I'm really hoping I can make this hike in to PGF. This will be my first time on the AT, and first time hiking outside of ohio. I ordered some maps today of this area to try to plan better if I can make it.

Happycamper, what day do you plan on setting off at caledonia? If and when you get anymore info on your plans let me know. I'm coming out alone so it would be nice to have someone to camp with. Also how are you getting back to your car once you get to PGF? This is one of my bigger worries.

Is anyone else planning on doing this too?

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There is a strong possibility that I may be able to do the hike to PGF from Caledonia.
    I was planning on driving down from my home in Osceola Mills Pa (North of State College) to PGF and arriving Friday AM.
    But I may be able to get Thursday off at work and drive a bit further South to Caledonia arriving Thursday AM.
    I am up for it , Just need to see if I can get the additional day off.
    All we need is transportation back to Caledonia from Pine Grove Furnace Friday night or Saturday.
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    MML, if I get the time off, which its looking pretty good now. I have a bit more of a drive but plan leaving early thursday and arriving 11am-noon ish. You could meet me at PGF and take us to caledonia and hike to PGF and I could give you a ride back to your car. Or vice versa, whatever may work. Keep me posted if you're interested.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thexuprising:
    Starting to look like a game plan!
    I'll have a pretty good idea tomorrow about having Thursday April 28th free.
    I will be in touch at this thread.
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Sounds great! Looking like a plan for me too. About to run it through with the old lady and ill let you know for sure tomorrow.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    MML, looks like I'm in for sure.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast