Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Speers Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Therm4 / Montbell
    Images

First Hang and first low temp in hammock

All I can say is boy have I been missing out using a tent......lol Got out with FanaticFringer this weekend. Super nice guy. Was a pleasure hanging with. We got out this weekend for my first hang. I was using a double ENO, Speers Winter Tarp (love it), Thermarest Prolite 4, 1/2" thick 30" long by 25" wide blue CCF from walmart (just to be safe), home made wings 1" thick by 8" tall x 30" long (just to be safe) Montbell 15deg. super stretch down bag. Clothes warn sleeping, REI convertable pants, short sleeve shirt (was to lazy to take off clothers) and one pair of smartwool socks. MY first low record is 27 degs. and I slept snug and warm ALL NIGHT LONG. Hope it gets colder this weekend....lol It was for sure a learning experience for me this weekend with the hammock. I can see each time I go, I will improve each time. Hardest part was making sure the hammack was high enough (butt was varly touching the ground......lol) and getting tarp at the right heigth. I'll post some pics of my set up tonight. Also, FanaticFringer at an awesome set up!!! Even found some more stuff I needed to buy seeing his set up.....lol FanaticFringer, My wife thanks you for showing me more stuff to buy.....lol J/k

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeper View Post
    All I can say is boy have I been missing out using a tent......lol Got out with FanaticFringer this weekend. Super nice guy. Was a pleasure hanging with. We got out this weekend for my first hang. I was using a double ENO, Speers Winter Tarp (love it), Thermarest Prolite 4, 1/2" thick 30" long by 25" wide blue CCF from walmart (just to be safe), home made wings 1" thick by 8" tall x 30" long (just to be safe) Montbell 15deg. super stretch down bag. Clothes warn sleeping, REI convertable pants, short sleeve shirt (was to lazy to take off clothers) and one pair of smartwool socks. MY first low record is 27 degs. and I slept snug and warm ALL NIGHT LONG. Hope it gets colder this weekend....lol It was for sure a learning experience for me this weekend with the hammock. I can see each time I go, I will improve each time. Hardest part was making sure the hammack was high enough (butt was varly touching the ground......lol) and getting tarp at the right heigth. I'll post some pics of my set up tonight. Also, FanaticFringer at an awesome set up!!! Even found some more stuff I needed to buy seeing his set up.....lol FanaticFringer, My wife thanks you for showing me more stuff to buy.....lol J/k
    That's great. It is always nice to have someone show you the ropes and get you started.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yep, makes it much easier with someone who already 'gets it' showing you. Hammock Missionaries play a vital role in bringing light to those living on the ground.

Glad you had a good cold hang. It sure is fun to be warm and hanging!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Congrats. It's always great to have someone who has experience helping out.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

No kidding, if it wasn't for Scott, I'd be totally clueless. We'll I am clueless, but I'm clueless with someone who can give me a clue!

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Yea we had a great overniter. Reeper is a really nice guy. We went to the Pinhoti Trail in Alabama. Near Coleman lake. We did a 3 mile in and out hike.
    Really beautiful scenery and not a soul around. It was my first Alabama hike and the landscape was very different from N. Georgia's in places. Wide open meadows as far as you could see. It looked like it would be a rattlesnakes playground in the summer.
    I finished the doors on my Blackcat tarp. I used 1/2" hook and loop and it held very tightly. They are rather small doors but get the job done. Not much room for much other than squeezing in and laying in the bridge. I also had my top cover on. No underquilt just pads. Temps were around upper 50's during the day and like Reeper said got down to around 27° that nite. So I wake up and find ice crystals on my outer and inner tarp. When I shined my headlamp on the tarp as I laid there, it looked like a bunch of stars. The top cover was wet from condensation, and my top quilt was pretty wet also. Just on the top. Must have been a combination of the warm temp that dropped to just under freezing and the zero wind.
    Will post pics later. Having trouble uploading them. Says I'm exceeding my quota?
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Yea we had a great overniter. Reeper is a really nice guy. We went to the Pinhoti Trail in Alabama. Near Coleman lake. We did a 3 mile in and out hike.
    Really beautiful scenery and not a soul around. It was my first Alabama hike and the landscape was very different from N. Georgia's in places. Wide open meadows as far as you could see. It looked like it would be a rattlesnakes playground in the summer.
    I finished the doors on my Blackcat tarp. I used 1/2" hook and loop and it held very tightly. They are rather small doors but get the job done. Not much room for much other than squeezing in and laying in the bridge. I also had my top cover on. No underquilt just pads. Temps were around upper 50's during the day and like Reeper said got down to around 27° that nite. So I wake up and find ice crystals on my outer and inner tarp. When I shined my headlamp on the tarp as I laid there, it looked like a bunch of stars. The top cover was wet from condensation, and my top quilt was pretty wet also. Just on the top. Must have been a combination of the warm temp that dropped to just under freezing and the zero wind.
    Will post pics later. Having trouble uploading them. Says I'm exceeding my quota?
    shoulda seen the condensation under my tarp up at Mt. Rogers Sunday morning! I'd left some openings at the top of the doors to let air through, and there was a lot of wind, so who knows what it would have looked like if I'd been sealed up.

On the quota thing, I've gotten that trying to use attachments, but not uploading photos. YMMV since attroll intimated some things changed when he put in contributing member banners, and you've got one.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    shoulda seen the condensation under my tarp up at Mt. Rogers Sunday morning! I'd left some openings at the top of the doors to let air through, and there was a lot of wind, so who knows what it would have looked like if I'd been sealed up.

On the quota thing, I've gotten that trying to use attachments, but not uploading photos. YMMV since attroll intimated some things changed when he put in contributing member banners, and you've got one.

Grizz
    i had an open tarp & it had what i guess was frozen condensation on the inside Sunday morn.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Here are some pics from the trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Here are some pics from the trip.
    That door is hanging on tight under what looks to be non-trivial tension. That's good!

Did your spreader bars touch the sides once you got into the hammock and pulled it down?

You know, if the ends of the spreader bars are rounded with no points and no way to snag, and if they aren't really pushing the tarp out enough to challenge the tension on it caused by the stake-outs, maybe the only concern we have about the spreader ends pushing out is aesthetic.

At Mt. Rogers last weekend the wind pushed the wall of my hammock quonset hut right into the endpoints of the spreader bars. No big deal.

Thanks for the pics. I'm imagining SNAKES where you were.

(snakes. why did it have to be snakes... *)

Grizz

*Indiana Jones, my hero

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast