Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamba
    Insulation
    EE Revel., HG Inc.
    Suspension
    Hoverboard System
    Images

DIY down UQ - planning

Don't even have my hammock made yet and I'm planning my down UQ. I'm interested in making a 3/4 length quilt. I'm only 5'5" so I was thinking a quilt 50" x 48" would work well. I have a couple questions.

1. How much down will I need for a 25 degree quilt? I'm considering using 900 fill down from thru-hiker. I was thinking around 7 ounces. [50 (length) x 48 (width) x 2.5 (height/loft) / 900 (fill) = 6.66]. Does that sound right? Can you get down in ounce increments anywhere (800 or 900 fill)?

2. Baffle direction - for a hammock UQ is there any difference making the baffles head to foot vs. side to side? Head to foot would mean less chambers to fill which would be nice.

3. Shape - At first I was planning on making it rectangular because it will be easier and I lack substantial sewing skills, but I've been rethinking this lately. I'm making a gathered end hammock and will be sleeping at a diagonal. Would it be better to make the UQ more of a parallelogram shape? It seems that would make more efficient use of the down.

I've been doing a lot of searches but these are questions that have come up while I've been researching. Thanks.

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Me too

I'm interested in the responses to this post by some of the more seasoned DIY UQ makers. I have two King size extra firm down pillows with 36oz of down in them and I'm wondering how much I need to use. Also, I have a larger shop vac than what I've seen in vidoes so I'm wondering how much a section of 2" pipe will hold. I want to make 2 top quilts and 2 bottom quilts out of these pillows that will take me down to at least 25*.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    well lets start out with how much down you will need

at 50x48 and 25F ... your looking at 2-2.5 inch baffles...so lets say 2 inch baffles and 900 fill down

take 50x48x2/900=5.3oz ...you would need 5.3oz to fill that airspace i like to add at least 2 oz to that since thats with 0% overfill so say 7oz of down

now for how to run your chambers i like mine head to foot...this way it doesn't shift around alot if you going to make yours 50x48 i would make 6inch chambers
    the more narrow they are the less your down will shift around
    so you will need 8 chambers 6x8=48inch

rectangular is fine i make all mine rectangular and all the JRB quilts are rectangular .... but make sure you make a differential cut ..look it up here on the site...you pretty much just make your bottom chambers 6 inch and your top ones 6.5-7inch... this way when it's all sewn up it will have alittle extra...this will give the down more room to fluff up and also help prevent cold spots cause your down will not be compressed ...

another thing to think about is the down you are using...stormcrows 800 fill down is more around 850 fill ...and at $6.50 an oz you really can't go wrong...just something to think about ....

hope this helps you out ...
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY 1.5S
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamba
    Insulation
    EE Revel., HG Inc.
    Suspension
    Hoverboard System
    Images
    Thanks for all the good information G.L.P.

Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    rectangular is fine i make all mine rectangular and all the JRB quilts are rectangular .... but make sure you make a differential cut ..look it up here on the site...you pretty much just make your bottom chambers 6 inch and your top ones 6.5-7inch... this way when it's all sewn up it will have alittle extra...this will give the down more room to fluff up and also help prevent cold spots cause your down will not be compressed ...
    I was reading about differential cut a bit and I was a little confused about it - I'm a visual person. So, if I were to make the top chambers 6.5 inches, essentially the top piece of ripstop would need to be 4" wider than the bottom piece. Is that correct? Other than changing the top chambers, is there any other differences with a differential cut? How do you sew the two ends together when they are different lengths?

Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    another thing to think about is the down you are using...stormcrows 800 fill down is more around 850 fill ...and at $6.50 an oz you really can't go wrong...just something to think about ....
    I was considering getting down from him. Do you have a link to where you can order it? I couldn't find it on the website.
    Last edited by catalyst; 03-19-2011 at 17:01.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Here is my latest down quilt thread which I am very happy with. BTW, I am 6'-1" and 200#.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=26542
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    By all means, get it from StormCrow. He'll put it in individual bags for you. Easily worth an upcharge if there was one, but there isn't.

Jbo

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES 10x12 catcut
    Insulation
    IX/Clima DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Let me try to explain the differential cut:

Imagine a semicircle. The differential cut means that the straight line is against your back lying in the hammock, and the curve is the outside. You then make sure that each baffle has a semicircle element to it.
    Be like Bob

Hammock
    DIY 1.5S
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamba
    Insulation
    EE Revel., HG Inc.
    Suspension
    Hoverboard System
    Images

determining width

Quote Originally Posted by JCINMA View Post
    Let me try to explain the differential cut:

Imagine a semicircle. The differential cut means that the straight line is against your back lying in the hammock, and the curve is the outside. You then make sure that each baffle has a semicircle element to it.
    I'm pretty sure I get the idea now. How do you determine the outer shell width for the differential cut such that you don't make it too short and compress the down/insulation? Sounds like between 6.5-7" for the outer shell would work for me according to previous comments.

* EDIT - found the answer through some more searching.
    Last edited by catalyst; 03-19-2011 at 19:35.

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

What type fabric to use for quilt

Do you normally use some type of coated material for the quilt either for the layer closest to the hammock or the outer layer? Recently on my second overnight hang, I noticed quite a bit of dew after dark getting on the hammocks without a ground pad to block it. This might not be an issue in very cold situations but it was probably in the 50s that night and in the Southeast US humidity is an issue almost all year.

Hammock
    DIY 1.5S
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamba
    Insulation
    EE Revel., HG Inc.
    Suspension
    Hoverboard System
    Images

not sure

Quote Originally Posted by lmoseley7 View Post
    Do you normally use some type of coated material for the quilt either for the layer closest to the hammock or the outer layer? Recently on my second overnight hang, I noticed quite a bit of dew after dark getting on the hammocks without a ground pad to block it. This might not be an issue in very cold situations but it was probably in the 50s that night and in the Southeast US humidity is an issue almost all year.
    I'm probably not the best person to answer this since I don't have to deal with high humidity situations very often, but I've seen people use coated and uncoated material. It seems to me that you would want the material to be breathable. and so uncoated would be better - although I don't know how it would handle the humidity that you're describing. I've also seen threads where someone used a coated layer for the layer at the bottom of the UQ and an uncoated layer for the layer against the hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast