Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Quilt stuffing question

I am considering a short (for me, I'm 6' 5") underquilt. Projected dimensions 60 x 45. My question is in baffle design. Using Ed's 900 fill down and allowing for some overfill I come up with 15" baffle spacing along the length and 2 3/4 baffle height to allow using a 3oz. bag in each tube. Will the loft be pretty uniform from anyones experience or should I divide them out a different way? I know Ed uses baffles along the length in his underquilts and peapods.

Thanks...
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I didn't have any previous planning experience when I made mine, so I'll have to defer to the experience of others... although I do think that 15" baffle spacing sounds very widely spaced... how many baffles are you talking about here?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Wow that is shorter. I have been playing around with the idea. Someone told me and it makes since that the same portional down should loft the same regaurdless of compartment size. Within reason. The larger compartments may lead to more down shifting, causing cold spots. It also may take the down longer to reloft after compression.

If it helps my next quilt is going to have 6 to 7 inch wide compartments, depending on how the math works out with the length.

I have been thinking about the shifting issue. I am going to try one with crossbaffles making 6 or 7 inch squares. I think it will make it a lot harder to sew, but hey that is half the fun. The next project has to be harder than the last. Then again I already have 3 quilts and are planning on making 1 or 2 jacket/quilts. So it maybe awhile before that happens. I would only be saving around 6oz with the addition of a summer quilt.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    I forgot to add not to be afraid of rehandling the down, if that is what is the deciding factor. It is not as hard as everyone made it out to be. Just go slow and use your hand. Let me know if you need help with that.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I didn't have any previous planning experience when I made mine, so I'll have to defer to the experience of others... although I do think that 15" baffle spacing sounds very widely spaced... how many baffles are you talking about here?
    2 baffles to create 3 tubes

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I don't think that the 15" spacing would be a problem with loft or cold spots on the bottom but on the sides the baffles would need to be closer to keep the down high and near the top of quilt. I used XP on the sides for this reason on my hybrid quilt (about 44" x45") and used a 20" compartment filled with down on the bottom. It stays fully lofted and evenly insulated with just a shake after unpacking.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Using Ed's 900 fill down and allowing for some overfill I come up with 15" baffle spacing along the length and 2 3/4 baffle height to allow using a 3oz. bag in each tube.
    You are going to get more loft than the baffle height with a 20% over stuff. I used 2.5" baffles on my last quilt and ended up lots of loft.

2.5 x 15 x 60 = 2250/900 = 2.5 x 1.2 (20% overstuff) = 3 oz for this size compartment

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    The one I made basically followed HE's directions for baffle size (~7.8") and mine was 3" thick. With some overfill the baffles will expand thicker, therefore causing them to be shorter (probably something like 4-5" thick which will shorten the baffle and inch or two). IMO, a 15" X 3" baffle with overfill could expand 6" or 8" therefore causing the baffle (and overall length) to shorten by several inches. Of course this would be with the quilt "at rest" so to speak. Using it you would probably pull it back out to full length. But like above, I believe 15" may be a little wide and could cause shifting easier.

If your concern is using 1 bag per baffle to make it easier and not have to weigh the down you might consider halving the baffle and then just cut the bag of down in half to stuff each baffle. You could probably do this without weighing or measuring.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    when i made a down hammock, it had only 3 chambers... one on each side & one on the bottom.

one thing i came to realize is that when the chambers are that wide, there is not enough control of the down.
    if you use a lesser amount of down, it will shift & settle leaving thick & thin areas.

if you over stuff w/ lots of down, it will only be as thick as the baffles at the edges of the chambers, but it will be unnessasarily large in the middle.

i think the chambers do a better job of controlling the thickness & making better use of the down when the chambers are made more narrow by sewing the baffles a reasonable distance apart.
    just what is an ideal distance??? i don't know, but i would tend to think about 7".
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Thanks!

Thanks for all the input. Lots of experience here. I'll let everyone know how it goes if I proceed. Have also looked at Skinners idea of using the campmor rectangle bag and cutting it down. A little heavier, but MUCH easier. Keep watching for it to go on sale. That will only happen the day after I buy it!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast