Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: Guy Line cord

  1. #11
    Senior Member TiredFeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    MD
    Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,100
    Images
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i'm trying to remember now which thread someone had a picture of a gray cord that i said appeared to be the exact same stuff that i bought from BPL.com as bear bag line.
    if that's what yall were talking about buying, i'd like to get some for sure. and i might want some even if it's different.
    I think that is the BPL Aircore URSA Dyneema Bear Bag Hanging Rope. I got the 50' hank they are selling.

    If that is what you are interested in, then look at that stuff that pure-mayhem found on ebay. The seller is calling it Amsteel, but it isn't.

    That stuff is very close to the BPL bear bag hanging stuff and a lot cheaper. For $45 you get 290' instead of the 50' BPL sells for $30. The BPL dyneema is 2.5 mm, rated at 1400 lbs and the ebay dyneema is 3 mm rated at 1200 lbs.

    The ebay dyneema is made by Samson. Don't know who makes the BPL stuff. They don't say.

  2. #12
    Senior Member TiredFeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    MD
    Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,100
    Images
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i'm glad somebody finally bought some of that stuff, i was curious about it, but assumed it was just twisted since they called it "twine".
    Yeah - that always make me laugh. I would never think of dyneema as "twine".

  3. #13
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    10,762
    Images
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    I think that is the BPL Aircore URSA Dyneema Bear Bag Hanging Rope. I got the 50' hank they are selling.

    If that is what you are interested in, then look at that stuff that pure-mayhem found on ebay. The seller is calling it Amsteel, but it isn't.

    That stuff is very close to the BPL bear bag hanging stuff and a lot cheaper. For $45 you get 290' instead of the 50' BPL sells for $30. The BPL dyneema is 2.5 mm, rated at 1400 lbs and the ebay dyneema is 3 mm rated at 1200 lbs.

    The ebay dyneema is made by Samson. Don't know who makes the BPL stuff. They don't say.
    yep, i believe that's what i had i mind. thanks.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    633
    Images
    11
    Found the following two offerings:

    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...=08-45130618-2

    It appears to be the same stuff, 1.75mm Lash-It, 600ft spool for $41.29 or about $0.07/ft. Heck, that's almost 7 times less than the BPL dyneema.

    The (yellow) Zing-It is available at http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdet...=Z175+180&CAT=
    for $22.95 for 180ft, or about $0.13/ft, or about 3.5 times less than BPL dyneema. The 2.2mm is also available at the same site for $26.95 for 180' at http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdet...tem=Z220%20180

    Is this all the same stuff? Am I missing something?

  5. #15
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    10,762
    Images
    319
    the gray cord on the westmarine link looks like it could be the same as the bear bag line i got from BPL.com.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  6. #16
    Senior Member GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,657
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Interesting. Nice find on the cord.

    You might want to consider a leaker guy line. Pan was talking about this last weekend and it makes sense. The weakest link in the chain is going to break first. With a strong line it maybe that your tarp is the weakest link. Ideally you would want aguy line that is rated just under what the tarp can safely handle. I have no data to back this up, but 100lbs seems right to me. I would prefer to have to fix a guy line in the field in a wind storm than have to deal with a tarp ripped in half.
    Last fall I was subjecting stakes to a lot of force working out how to pull the corners of the bridge hammock out, rather than use a spreader bar. Of course holding power will vary with ground conditions, but in my experience a 7" stake in my yard will hold 50 lbs, but won't hold 100 lbs.

    In a staked out line, the stake holding in the ground might well be the weak link.

    Grizz

  7. #17
    Senior Member TiredFeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    MD
    Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,100
    Images
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    Found the following two offerings:

    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...=08-45130618-2

    It appears to be the same stuff, 1.75mm Lash-It, 600ft spool for $41.29 or about $0.07/ft. Heck, that's almost 7 times less than the BPL dyneema.

    The (yellow) Zing-It is available at http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdet...=Z175+180&CAT=
    for $22.95 for 180ft, or about $0.13/ft, or about 3.5 times less than BPL dyneema. The 2.2mm is also available at the same site for $26.95 for 180' at http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdet...tem=Z220%20180

    Is this all the same stuff? Am I missing something?
    The listing on West Marine is the 1.75 mm Lash-It. But be very careful. They show a picture of the 180' spool and call it the 600' spool. I would be very suspicious of the price also. That is almost 1/10 the price on APS. Something about if a deal seems to good to be true ..... ??

    Yes it is the same stuff. Comparing prices to BPL is not too good. I have stopped buying from BPL because their prices are way inflated on things like the dyneema and they tend to rename things to make it difficult to compare with other sellers. I'll support small business, but not when I find it costing me twice as much or more. Others may feel differently about that and probably do.

  8. #18
    Senior Member TiredFeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    MD
    Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,100
    Images
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Last fall I was subjecting stakes to a lot of force working out how to pull the corners of the bridge hammock out, rather than use a spreader bar. Of course holding power will vary with ground conditions, but in my experience a 7" stake in my yard will hold 50 lbs, but won't hold 100 lbs.

    In a staked out line, the stake holding in the ground might well be the weak link.

    Grizz
    Yes and no - chain gang stakes and you can increase the holding power exponentially (that's what my engineer girlfriend calls it anyway !). Something about using the lever principle. Were you pulling the stake out of the ground or ripping the ground up?? If the former, chain gang the stakes and you will get vastly increased holding power. If the latter, wide stakes and again chain gang them and they can be almost impossible to pull out. My engineer girlfriend says that in civil engineering they call it the "dead man technique".

    Also, using other trees as stakes increase the holding power a lot. Heck even using tree roots and boulders does too. That's usually why I will need longer guy lines.

  9. #19
    Senior Member GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,657
    Images
    564

    and you can stake your tarp on that

    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Yes and no - chain gang stakes and you can increase the holding power exponentially (that's what my engineer girlfriend calls it anyway !). Something about using the lever principle. Were you pulling the stake out of the ground or ripping the ground up?? If the former, chain gang the stakes and you will get vastly increased holding power. If the latter, wide stakes and again chain gang them and they can be almost impossible to pull out. My engineer girlfriend says that in civil engineering they call it the "dead man technique".

    Also, using other trees as stakes increase the holding power a lot. Heck even using tree roots and boulders does too. That's usually why I will need longer guy lines.
    perhaps I should have added the adjective "normal" and referred to "normal staked out line". Staked out included to clearly delinate from tieing to trees and such. "Normal" to delineate from tricks such as what you describe. When 1 stake wouldn't hold, I ended up using 2 stakes for a line, side-by-side, with a "line-splitter" so that the tension (slightly amplified by shallow angles when they are close and the line that joins them is long) is shared equally.

    While I do routinely see tarps tied to trees, I don't routinely see multi-stake tricks.

    Anyway, no arguments here, just the observation that under normal useage the holding power of your stake might be the limiting factor.

    Grizz

  10. #20
    Senior Member NCPatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    9,041
    Images
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Yes and no - chain gang stakes and you can increase the holding power exponentially (that's what my engineer girlfriend calls it anyway !). Something about using the lever principle. Were you pulling the stake out of the ground or ripping the ground up?? If the former, chain gang the stakes and you will get vastly increased holding power. If the latter, wide stakes and again chain gang them and they can be almost impossible to pull out. My engineer girlfriend says that in civil engineering they call it the "dead man technique".

    Also, using other trees as stakes increase the holding power a lot. Heck even using tree roots and boulders does too. That's usually why I will need longer guy lines.
    What does it mean to "chain gang" stakes? And also, why won't you need guy lines? Won't you need something to tie to the boulders and tree roots, etc? Thanks.


    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
    - John Burroughs

Similar Threads

  1. Shock cord guy line help plz.
    By PaPaZeus in forum Weather Protection
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-09-2014, 08:39
  2. Spectra cord: Z-line vs No Tangle
    By OCDave in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-05-2013, 00:10
  3. para cord ridge line?
    By saucybagles in forum Eagles Nest Hammocks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-10-2012, 13:41
  4. Shock cord guy line
    By alrany187 in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-03-2012, 14:15
  5. Shock cord guy line?
    By mountaingoat in forum Weather Protection
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 10:08

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •