Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34
  1. #11
    Senior Member Hooch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Princeton, NC
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling/Strap
    Posts
    4,390
    Images
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    . . . .my trip is next month!
    Where are we going?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

  2. #12
    Senior Member Rug's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chatham, ON. Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    700
    Images
    6
    Tip for hard-pulling on small line:

    Grab a trail-stick (thicker the better), and wrap your line around that a few times (or clove-hitch) and pull hard. (like old-school fishing)
    It saves your fingers, and works great when its cold.

    *you could also use your hiking stick. this quick-wrap technique is just temporary, as it is only used to add tautness to your lines.

    I used to use this all the time when I was setting up my tarp-ridge line connected via garda-hitch.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

    Rug.

    Hang On!

  3. #13
    Senior Member Tendertoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Posts
    1,500
    Piggy-backing off the prussik method but a bit easier because you are not trying to tie a knot on a tight line (I believe Dejoha illustrated this very method, but I couldn't find it):

    Tie a prussik onto your ridgeline.

    Take your ridgeline and wrap around the tree, back around and now tie a marlinspike hitch on your line (which is easy to tie because your line is not tight yet).

    Put a microbiner in the hitch, now clip the microbiner to the prussik.

    Pull the prussik away from the tree to tighten to your desired tightness.

    I use this method with Dynaglide - which is extra slippery - and do a 4 wrap prussik to make sure everything bites. I recommend doing a multiple wrap prussik considering you are going to be doing a 1.25 to 1.25 prussik.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave41079 View Post
    These work great for the tie outs, but they are tied into the line so I wouldn't be able to/it would be a pain to untie then wrap around the tree then retie! I thought about using a biner with these as the connection point but when you do this it doesn't want to cantilever (hope thats the right word) and apply tension to the other side (I have some of these so I already tried)!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave41079 View Post
    I definitely understand that. Small line can really dig into you. Any way you could make something like a UCR with the 1.25mm line? It seems to me that no matter what you'll be pulling on that line to get it tight. What kind of line is it?
    This is the 1.25mm Z-line from Joe at Z-Packs!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Where are we going?
    Lazyriverroad and my self are doing the AT in Va from Rt33 to Front Royal, once this is done I will only have one more short section to do and will be done Va, so that will be Va, WVa, and MD done, then I can start chipping away at another state!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug View Post
    Tip for hard-pulling on small line:

    Grab a trail-stick (thicker the better), and wrap your line around that a few times (or clove-hitch) and pull hard. (like old-school fishing)
    It saves your fingers, and works great when its cold.

    *you could also use your hiking stick. this quick-wrap technique is just temporary, as it is only used to add tautness to your lines.

    I used to use this all the time when I was setting up my tarp-ridge line connected via garda-hitch.
    I have done this method before, and have done it in very nasty weather and can tell you that flames start to shoot out of my ears when it's hard to find one that is right/won't break and all you and to do is get under your tarp to get dry! That was why I am asking for help on finding a piece of hardware that will work with this line and make it sooooooooo much easier! As well as less frustrating!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    Piggy-backing off the prussik method but a bit easier because you are not trying to tie a knot on a tight line (I believe Dejoha illustrated this very method, but I couldn't find it):

    Tie a prussik onto your ridgeline.

    Take your ridgeline and wrap around the tree, back around and now tie a marlinspike hitch on your line (which is easy to tie because your line is not tight yet).

    Put a microbiner in the hitch, now clip the microbiner to the prussik.

    Pull the prussik away from the tree to tighten to your desired tightness.

    I use this method with Dynaglide - which is extra slippery - and do a 4 wrap prussik to make sure everything bites. I recommend doing a multiple wrap prussik considering you are going to be doing a 1.25 to 1.25 prussik.
    Yea this sounds like the only method that might work still would be a pain and not sure how well the prussic would hold, I have to get some more test line to see how many wraps the prussic needs to hold effectively on the ridgeline! If the side tie outs slip in high winds thats ok, but not everything slipping hopefully I can mitigate the troubles by finding a one piece easy method,
    This would probably be easier if I just went back to the other line I'm using, then this would be a mute point !
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

  5. #15
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reinholds, PA
    Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Posts
    6,842
    Images
    198
    You can check out LRR's tarp flyz. He just won a set in the PIF thread.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003


    http://dutchwaregear.com
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    You can check out LRR's tarp flyz. He just won a set in the PIF thread.
    Awesome news for him, yea I will have to do that!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

  7. #17
    Senior Member WV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    southeast WV
    Hammock
    DIY
    Posts
    4,149
    Images
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    You can check out LRR's tarp flyz. He just won a set in the PIF thread.
    Let's see, you only need to tighten one end of your tarp ridgeline because the other end is already attached. LRR has two Tarp Flyz, and you and LRR have a total of two tarps, so .... (Sorry, Jesse.)

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Let's see, you only need to tighten one end of your tarp ridgeline because the other end is already attached. LRR has two Tarp Flyz, and you and LRR have a total of two tarps, so .... (Sorry, Jesse.)
    Good point there WV !!!

    But, I'm not that kind of person, I think it's wonderful that he won (and will certainly check them out), but that's where it ends!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

  9. #19
    all secure in sector 7 Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    16,025
    Images
    62
    Switch to Thicker line perhaps......
    How about those Niteize Bones?
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Good in the Backwood Hood.

    Shug's YouTube Videos

  10. #20
    MAD777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Posts
    10,484
    Images
    39
    I use the small metal figure 9's with the 1.75mm zing-it and it works for me as long as I tie a couple of half hitches right behind the Figure 9.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Similar Threads

  1. Single Line Tarp Ridge Line Questions
    By markrvp in forum Whoopie Slings
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-27-2012, 16:22
  2. Whoopie Sling Single Line Tarp Ridge Line Question
    By Wogs in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-18-2011, 09:15
  3. Tarp and Grizz Beaks Hardwear
    By packeagle in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-05-2011, 05:57
  4. Opie's Single Line Tarp Ridge Line
    By Moxie in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-29-2010, 10:57
  5. Tarp Ridge Line Kits (Double Line)
    By crizyal in forum Arrowhead Equipment (Home of Kick Ass Quilts)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-10-2010, 12:37

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •