Finished my down quilt a while ago. It's a "convertible" which can be used as TQ and UQ. It's the same shape I've also used for my very first TQ shown in this thread.
The quilt is 15% overstuffed and has 4 inch high baffles. Overall weight is around 900g (~ 32oz) with all cordage and cordlocks for both modes.
I've sewn V-baffles (vs H-baffles) using 14 bridges out of mosquito-netting connecting both sides of the quilt -- they help minimizing cold-bridges and stabilizing the size of the baffles. V-baffles look like this:
|__\_ /___ \ _/ ___\ _/___ \_ /___ \__/___ \__/___ \__/__ |
I've used following:
- < 3m 1.1 oz calendared ripstop from backwoodsdaydreamer.com.
- <1.5m 25g/m² mosquito-netting from extremtextil.de.
- ~ 21 oz 700 cuin down
- 3m 3mm elastic cord
- 1m 5mm elastic cord
- several cordlocks and tankas
- 2.5m 1.6mm dyneema
- small pieces of 6mm wide grossgrain ribbon
I've to say that Pertex Quantum really feels softer than regular calendared ripstop -- but it also costs much more and is somehow hard to get hands on. Anyone who knows a good and cheap source is welcome to let me know.
Unlike my summer TQ I've added some small things:
- 2 channels on the sides for the 3mm elastic cord. The cord is sewn onto the quilt in the head-area and secured with two small tankas in the bottom part of the quilt.
- loops out of grossgrain ribbon in all four corners to attach the 5mm elastic cord when using as underquilt
- several loops in the foot area (sides and bottom part) to be able to form a foot-box when using as topquilt
The different settings are as follows:
a) both corners (grossgrain ribbon loops) in head-area are connected with a slipknot.
b) loops in bottom-part are connected together with cord to form a footbox
c) length of dyneema in bottom-channel is minimized, the cord is looped through loops in the bottom part to fully close the footbox.
d) elastic cord in side-channels can be shortened to help the quilt "embracing" you better
e) dyneema in top-channel is adjusted to the length you still feel snug with around your neck using a minitanka.
a) 2x 5mm elastic cord is connected with 2 prusiks on the ridgeline
b) ... their ends are looped through both corners of the top- and bottom-part of the quilt and attached using cordlocks.
c) prusiks are placed where needed, elastic cords are shortened (5mm attaching quilt to ridgeline and 3mm in side-channels) where needed to get the quilt closer to the hammock
d) dyneema in top- and bottom-channels is shorted to not allow wind to get between hammock and quilt.
Things I've learned and would do differently next time:
- make bigger channels.
- use smaller dyneema cord within channels
- use wider webbing instead of small grossgrain ribbon to form loops in the 4 corners