Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Crow's Nest/RayWay
    Images

Spring Break in the Great Smoky Mtns. Natl Park

I spent spring break in the GSMNP. That's a two day drive from West Tx. but worth the trouble. I slept in Cataloochee a couple of nights, then hiked up to #38 for a couple of nights. I had my Tenkara rod and attempted fly fishing for the first time with limited success. I caught a couple of fish but both were too small to keep. Cataloochee creek is about 10' across where I was, and overgrown so I spent a significant amount of time unsnagging and unsnarling my line. It rained all Monday night and most of Tuesday but I stayed warm and dry in my WBBB, MacCat and winter Crow's Nest.

I had never been to the Appalachians before but everything was beautiful - fantastic. I hope to go back again soon to explore this amazing part of our world. Photos at: gallery.me.com/paulnabors
    "The power of the imagination makes us infinite."

John Muir

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    looks and sounds like you had a great trip. sorry you couldn't land some eat'n size fish but that's fish'n, fun either way. the smoky mtns are very nice this time of year.
    i'm glad you found "them there hills" worth the drive.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Great googly. What a great place to take a break, and that's a long haul. I hope it was relaxing as well.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

Enjoyed the photos. Thanks for sharing them and the report. And yes, the Appalachians are great mountains to "get away" in! Glad you enjoyed our part of the world.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Crow's Nest/RayWay
    Images
    The eastern lands have a different character than those in the west. I live near the southwest corner of New Mexico and have done most of my camping/hiking there and in Colorado. In the Smokies every fold in the land carries some water, and the trees are mostly hardwoods like hickory and ash. I enjoyed the contrast, and hope to return soon. I haven't spent much time in the Sierras or Cascades, and hope to visit them soon as well.

sky
    "The power of the imagination makes us infinite."

John Muir

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    I love the Smokies, and Cataloochee is particularly wonderful for me. I have not yet gotten to hang in the backcountry. Can't wait for the opportunity.

For what it's worth, the Smokies are great any time of year.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Quote Originally Posted by skyclad View Post
    I spent spring break in the GSMNP. That's a two day drive from West Tx. but worth the trouble. I slept in Cataloochee a couple of nights, then hiked up to #38 for a couple of nights. I had my Tenkara rod and attempted fly fishing for the first time with limited success. I caught a couple of fish but both were too small to keep. Cataloochee creek is about 10' across where I was, and overgrown so I spent a significant amount of time unsnagging and unsnarling my line. It rained all Monday night and most of Tuesday but I stayed warm and dry in my WBBB, MacCat and winter Crow's Nest.

I had never been to the Appalachians before but everything was beautiful - fantastic. I hope to go back again soon to explore this amazing part of our world. Photos at: gallery.me.com/paulnabors
    If you love backpacking and fly fishing you need to go to Deep Creek, some nice size trout. If you decide to hike in there are campsites along Deep Creek trail with access to Deep Creek.

• + New Posts