Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Slo, papasmurfs site is www.mydiygear.com. I've been wanting to have him make one of his bug socks for me out of tull. My slight worry with the traveler is how long it is. I wonder if I could even reach the draw cord to cinch it shut, I know I could on my grand trunk but not sure about the traveler. Anyone use one with a traveler yet.

I have a traveler and blackbird and love them both. 1-1 dbl for the BB and 1.1 single for the traveler. At 180lbs the BB has no noticeable stretch but the traveler has a little. If you're worried about weight , the travelers with a net are only 2ish ounces less than a blackbird. That means around 2 ounces for a foot box and shelf, both would be worth it if they were 10oz more. I consider my blackbird my luxery, I could use a nano 7 or something like that. But I will haul the blackbird everywhere for the feature it has.

I prefer single layer, open hammocks, but with conviences of the blackbird I will almost always chose that. The shelf is amazing, better the a ridgeline organizer imo, the foot box is great, I never worry about my quilts falling out of the hammock. In the summer when I don't want to carry my uq around I can use a thin 1/8 ccf pad, and the double layer should come in very handy.

I asked Brandon to giveme additional line with the line suspension so I had 12ft instead of 8ft so I could make it into 6ft whoopie slings without having to remove the suspension from the gathered end. I gave him a few extra bucks for it. Just make one bury and you're done. Simple.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit 1.0
    Tarp
    MLD Spinn Asym
    Insulation
    JRB/HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps and spiders
    Ill throw my .02 in as well.....
    I have both the BB as well as the Traveler and as it stands now I prefer the Traveler. The BB was a little to closed up for me and the airflow seems to be much more restrictive than the traveler. I also appreciate the traveler bug net system where you can leave it home if you want to and take it with you if need be. I think I just like the simplicity of the the traveler set up compared to the BB. As for your questions that I can answer:

1. I find the traveler a little more comfortable since it gives me the option to lay on my left or right side. You can do this in the BB, but it is more restrictive.
    2. Stretch will depend on the fabric type you get.
    3.YMMV
    5.I have whoopies all ready to be put on the traveler, but the strap suspension is SO easy to use that I haven't done it as of yet. I think that if you are going to order one then get the strap suspension since (IMO) it is much easier to change from a strap then to a strap on the BB/Traveler.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Plus if you switch to whoopies from webbing then you have a bunch of webbing you can probably get 2-3 sets of tree straps out of it.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    i have both. i take the traveler 1.1 single layer when it's not buggy. the blackbird 1.1 double layer when it will be. i will be getting a papasmurf bugnet for my traveler.

other than bugs there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason which hammock i'll take. just grab whichever i feel like hanging in.

sometimes i try to see how light i can be (usually big mile hikes) and in that instance i'll take the traveler.

most times though, i'll grab either

hope that helps add to the confusion hehehe.

oh, i'm 180 and i find the 1.1 traveler single layer to be fine as far as stretch and whatnot...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Axolotl View Post
    The traveler sounds pretty close to perfect. So then I started comparing the two and was hoping someone could help me finish the analysis and answer some questions.
    1) Can anyone confirm that they are comparable in comfort? as i understand it from other threads, the footbox only is necessary for the bugnet and wouldn't add anything for a hammock without the net.
    2) I have a Eno Single Nest now and my biggest complaint about it is how stretchy the fabric is. My old Grand Trunk (RIP) was more like "regular" nylon fabric and much less stretchy and i found it to be more comfortable (even if it was less breathable)... can any one tell me how the BB and traveler compare in fabric type to the SN?
    3) Weight and packed size are a priority (although, if i was honest with myself, 5-7 oz really doesnt make a difference for 75% of the camping i do) so is there really any chance that a 170 lbs man/boy such as myself could really get away with a single layer hammock?
    4) Are there additional advantages to having a double layer besides the ability to put insulation in there? (enough to justify the weight gain?)
    5) Does anyone have any thoughts on changing the suspension system? after watching some youtube videos, the buckle version seems really simple, but i'm not completely sold on it yet. Any thoughts on their default suspension system?
    6) Is there anything i've forgotten to ask?
    This time of year, the Traveler is my no-brainer selection. When the bugs get here in a few weeks, the Blackbird goes back into the pack more often. I'm not a huge fan of a separate bugnet.

1. Very comparable. In fact, since there is no netting on the Traveler, I often end-up in all kinds of strange positions. Most include dangling my feet over the edge of the hammock. I guess that makes it more versatile, therefore more likely to be comfortable to a broader group of people.

2. They don't compare. I actually really like the fabric used on the ENOs. I find it very soft against the skin and the stretchiness doesn't really bother me. Regardless, both of the WB hammocks are made from ripstop fabric. They will be a little slicker than the ENOs and (assuming you chose the right option) will stretch a lot less. At 170lbs, you could easily use a single layer 1.1. However, if you're sensitive to stretch, you might want to opt for the single layer 1.7.

3. See above answer.
    But, a resounding "Yes".

4. Mostly bug protection. The little s can bite through a single layer. A double layer removes that option for them. Also, the additional layer of fabric greatly reduces the fabric stretch. Again, at your weight, that probably isn't an issue.

5. I've been using one form or another of a webbing based suspension for 4 years; won't be changing anytime real soon. I keep some gram weenie suspensions in the arsenal for those trips that require it, but the ease of use and general security that straps provide for me make the extra weight more than worth it. I personally prefer using rings instead of buckles with my webbing, but as always HYOH.

6. Most assuredly. If we tell you the questions, you wouldn't learn.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12