WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    SuperFly w/doors
    Insulation
    WInc and Burrow
    Suspension
    webbing

Motorcycle Moon Hang

My wife was out of town, the moon was going to be shinin' Super Perigree bright, and there was a new rear tire on the 1200GS Adventure that needed to have the "whiskers" shaved off.

I loaded up and headed for the mountains.

Here's the bike, loaded with my WBBB 1.1 dbl, my WB Superfly, my Winter Incubator and my big ol' bulky 15-year-old Moonstone sleeping bag.

The sleeping bag and my Big Agnes Sleeping Giant pillow pretty much fill the 20-liter Kriega bag on the back seat. The tarp and hammock are in one 10-liter Kriega and the WInc is in the other on the tops of the panniers. The metal panniers have some tools, my JetBoil and some tea, a change of clothes and some camp shoes, a fleece top to sleep in, my rain gloves and some empty space to stash layers as the days got warmer.

I crossed the AT several times over the weekend -- on US76, on GA60 at Woody Gap, on NC28, to name a few -- and I wondered if there were any HF members out enjoying the beautiful weather on the trails.

On the way up, I rode through Clemson and passed through Westminter, SC, and Clayton, GA. I wound my way past Brasstown Bald and over Wolf Pen Gap Road to Suches, GA.

While I was eating lunch at a new cafe on GA180 in Suches, I saw a buddy ride by. How did I know that it was him?

Well ...

Tom has a pretty distinctive motorcycle, to say the least.

Here are my bike and his side by side. Which one do you think is newer?

Some of you who have overnighted in Suches while hiking may recognize the place where I linked up with Tom. It is Two Wheels Only, a motorcycle campground and lodge that isn't but a couple of miles from Woody Gap.

T.W.O., which has been in operation since 1982, welcomed hikers from the AT. Due to the land being for sale, T.W.O. is closing -- closed, actually, since the operators have until tomorrow, March 22, to clear their stuff out. It will be sorely missed by the motorcycle community and more than a few hikers. I've met quite a few through hikers and section hikers there over the years.

After riding the area some with Tom and a couple of other guys, I headed north on GA60 and TN68 to Tellico Plains, TN. After a great ride over the Cherohala Skyway, I rode through the Joyce Kilmer Forest looking for a place to camp. I didn't find an open site.

The river was bursting at the seams.

Those of you familiar with the area may remember the one-lane bridge near the Santeetlah Dam. It looks like they're going to replace it or supplement it as there is another bridge under construction a few yards upriver.

I headed up to Deals Gap, where there is another "motorcycle resort" -- a gas station, restaurant, motel and campground. I have camped there lots of times. The store was closed for the day, but that is often he case when I arrive there. Standard practice is to camp and settle up in the morning.

I hung my hammock and rode over a road known as "The Tail of the Dragon" -- 318 curves in 11 miles. I rode about 9 miles to get to an overlook above the Calderwood Dam so that I could watch the Super Perigree Moon rise above the mountains.

Whe I got there, the moon was already a finger's width above the ridgeline and behind a light cloud cover. I stayed and watched it for a while.

I didn't have anything but a point-n-shoot camera with me, so the pics aren't great.

I went back, hung around the big fire pit with some of the motel guests, then turned in for the night.

I awoke the next morning with the little campground all to myself.

More later ...

Chris

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES MacDeluxe Sil
    Insulation
    Custom te-wa UQ
    Suspension
    Strap and Triangle
    Cool ride. Love that area - but TWO closed? Slept many nights by that creek. I will miss GT's cooking.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    SuperFly w/doors
    Insulation
    WInc and Burrow
    Suspension
    webbing
    I slept well in by Blackbird. I think the low was somewhere in the lower 50s. It was nothing to my WInc and my gigantic old synthetic mummy bag. My next hammock-related purchase is a down topquilt, though. I want the small packing size.

This is the spot I usually hang at Deals Gap. I just used some rocks to guy out my tarp lines.

I took a ride back over to the Calderwood Dam overlook. I love morning rides.

I packed up my gear, ate breakfast, settled my bill and hit the road again. I rode pretty much all day, and ended up riding about 600 miles over the two days. Here are some photos from Sunday.

I would love to hang in this spot, but it is a lot more exposed than it may look in the picture. (That grass on the right about midway up the picture is NC28. The road makes a U-turn right behind where I stood to take the shot.)

Man overboard!

Bridal Veil Falls on NC28 outside Highlands

This is beside SC28 in Oconee County a stone's throw from the Chattooga River and Georgia.

Check out the next-to-last sentence in this paragraph.

I was a tad bit underwhelmed by the Super Perigree Moon from my vantage point, but it was an incredible weekend or ridin' and hangin'.

Thanks for riding along,
    Chris

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    SuperFly w/doors
    Insulation
    WInc and Burrow
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosscat View Post
    Cool ride. Love that area - but TWO closed? Slept many nights by that creek. I will miss GT's cooking.
    Hosscat, unfortunately, yes. TWO is no more.

GT was there Sunday packing stuff up. It was sad. It is sad. The lease is up and the inheritors of the property want to sell the entire 68 acres as one parcel.

Chris

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Great trip report land I really enjoyed the pictures. It is sad to hear about TWO, I was planning a ride out that direction on a long weekend and was hoping to try it out. Some friends gave it positive reviews. Tragic that the owners/inheritors want work with the proprietors of the the camp..............
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Nomad's Land XXL / DD
    Tarp
    DD XL / 3x3
    Insulation
    Mat
    Suspension
    webbing + biners
    A good trip report. The scenery near you is beautiful. It's good to see bike stuff on here also.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    SuperFly w/doors
    Insulation
    WInc and Burrow
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    Great trip report land I really enjoyed the pictures. It is sad to hear about TWO, I was planning a ride out that direction on a long weekend and was hoping to try it out. Some friends gave it positive reviews. Tragic that the owners/inheritors want work with the proprietors of the the camp..............
    Thanks.

The roads in the area are still great, and there are a few National Forest and other campgrounds where you can hang.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunk View Post
    A good trip report. The scenery near you is beautiful. It's good to see bike stuff on here also.
    Thanks, Dunk. There's some great riding and scenery in the area.

If you like motorcycle hammocking reports, here are a few more trip reports that I've done here.

February Ride 'n' Hang: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=28976

Hangin' with Flat Henry: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=23243

Hang, Ride, Repeat: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=24473

Hangin' with my motorcycle, the report I did while on a 40-day trip last summer: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=19458

Chris
    Last edited by Land; 03-22-2011 at 20:46.

I wish my feet would touch the ground on those bemmers!

Hammock
    warbonnet traveler double 1.7oz
    Tarp
    warbonnet superfly
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    How I long to be on this kind of trip. Need to find a good motorbike to go around and simply stop and hang your hammock for a night. What a trip.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    And I'm spending all this $$ on ultralite, to get back on my feet.

This does not make it any easier! Some more grams will have to die because of that wonderful report

Roll On!
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast