Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Hanging in Yellowstone

I'd like to come over in early September time with the specific intention of hiking and canoeing in Yellowstone. Does anyone have any hanging experience in the backcountry areas of the park? If so any tips on fantastic areas would be great. And also if there is anyone around there at that time of year who fancies a night or twos hang, be good to hear from you

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images

Yellowstone Backcountry

Go up Speciman Ridge Hang on top by petrified trees. Continue aross to look down on Yellowstone River. I have not gotten all the way down to the river for a wet campsite there. SP R is dry. Also go up Lamar Valley along the river, also Cache Creek. Lots of opportunities, but stay in contact with their Backcountry Office.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    I am about an hour from the north entrance to the park, so please keep me advised of your plans.

There are many beautiful backcountry areas in Yellowstone to pick from, depending on the experience you want to have. It is truly an amazing place.

As such, it is also a very heavily visited park, and therefore it does have quite a few restrictions related to camping and boating. I believe canoeing is pretty much limited to the 3 main lake areas. Many backcountry areas are closed at specific times of years to assist the wildlife in their normal routines. I am not sure which ones apply in early September.

I suggest you take a look at the trip planner site for Yellowstone:
    http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisi...ntryhiking.htm

Specifically this document:
    http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisi...er_2010Mar.pdf

If you have specific things in mind related to the kind of area, hiking, and camping you are looking for, I would be happy to provide advice and solicite information from other locals as well.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Hey Nick, That is about the same time as the 2nd Idaho Hang....depending on your specific dates. Would be cool if you swung by for a night if things lined up..again depending on where you fly into.

I have not gone over to Yellowstone to hang, but there are lots of great options. Just keep in mind that it is at pretty decent elevation and in September cold weather can come in pretty strong. Plan for temps anywhere from a very comfortable 70's F during the day down to well below freezing at night.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks guys - that information is incredibly useful. I had no idea that so many areas had restrictions and the pdf has lots of useful things in it. I also note that it suggests that you don't hike alone so I guess the permit office may not be too impressed when I show up on my own?

Paul, whens the Idaho hang? That would be good to know too.

By the way, my package arrived on Monday with all the bits and pieces, I'm delighted with the gear as always (my first name isn't Nick in case you're wondering who this is and the best bit was I didn't get charged customs and tax charges so that made it even sweeter

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I spent a week just North of the park. Went into the mountains at Clark City and hiked up to a beautiful lake. We got tired of getting the runaround from the rangers on a trail toi take. Outside the park there are no rules, just camp where you want and do what you want when you want. There was a general store at Clark City, a very small town, that had maps and gave us some advice on what trails to take. After about 8500 feet, as i remember, there are no trees worth hanging on. I wish I was going with you. But, the mosquitoes were awful, take a head net with you.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

• + New Posts