Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    closed cell mat
    Suspension
    rope

Looking to change my hanging options

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to the idea of whoopie slings and straps to hang my hammock. I'm used to hanging mainly in my DD hammock with the supplied cordage which I wrap around a tree and tie at the front in a bow, adjusting this can be a pain and the pack size is to big for me now.

please accept my apologies if this has been answered before, though I don't know what to search to find my answers..

this is what I am aiming to do,

I'm planning on making my own hammock with an integrated midge net, this is going to be a lot lighter then my current DD though I have no idea what you are all talking about with whoopies and all sorts of other suspension terms.

if I understand it correctly a strap is mearly there to protect the tree from rope burn and strangulation, it therefore only needs to be slightly longer than the largest tree girth that you will hang from.

where do whoopie slings come in? and what stops the rain from running down the tree to the rope and into your hammock?

also what would be the options for having the tarp and hammock attached to the same line? so I only have one thing wrapped around the tree.. in my mind i would have the tree, tarp and then hammock in order of attachment points though not sure how to prevent the water from running into my hammock (living in Scotland it rains a lot) also how would I adjust the tension on the tarp/hammock?

these may be silly questions and my post may be all over the place (typing as I think) though any help would be greatly appreciated..

thank you in advance

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    welcome to the forums. There's no silly question's and lots of folks here to help. Generally i think you'll find people have separate hammock and tarp suspensions. Allows for more options. Tree straps for the hammock because that;s where the weight will be . No straps for the tarp. Whoopies are a light weight compact , easily adjustable cordage that goes between the hammock and tree straps. Can be a little fiddley for some and takes a bit longer to set up than webbing suspension.
    Webbing suspension is nylon webbing with buckles than are a tree strap ,adjustable webbing all in one. A bit heavier, not quite as compactable but easier to set up and allow for a bit more versatility in tree to tree distance.
    See Warbonnet Outdoors video area for a good example of webbing suspension.
    Also i think Shug has a video on suspension. Check the video area on this forum for Shug 10 part hammock series.
    I've got whoopies and webbing suspension. I like both but for winter i'm sticking with webbing

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Not silly questions at all, Student.

First, the idea of a "strap" is the width of material in contact with the tree. It is generally thought that the wider the strap the greater the distribution of load on bark and underlying cambium layer. One inch in width is standard.

Second, from the strap to the hammock one has various options that fall into two categories: conventional hanging and the single line suspension (SLS) to which you refer above. The SLS does allow you to use one line for both hammock and tarp.

In conventional hanging the idea is to get as close to a 30 degree angle as possible. If that is achieved then some like a continuation of straps down to the hammock (called a webbing and buckle system) and others like whoopie slings.

In SLS systems the hang angle is not so critical. But that means the minimum material you'd want to use for a suspension is 1/8" Amsteel.

There are several other systems out there. I've seen a video of an entire system made from 550 cord. SgtRock uses much lighter materials with good results. Ther are many opinions and I've not heard of anyone dying or injured ... but you might want to spend a lot of time on this site looking things up -- lots of great wisdom and experience here. I've just scratched the surface.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Currently a DD travel hammoc
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    closed cell mat
    Suspension
    rope
    thank you for the replies,

ok the straps i now understand, 25mm polyester webbing is in order,

I've been doing a quick amount of research on the whoopie slings, seen a few videos and read a few posts and think I understand how they work in terms of holding and adjusting the tarp, also looked at SLS on a you tube video from professor hammock.

though I'm still at a loss to how to prevent the rain from traveling down the slings to the whoopie sling to the hammock.. currently I use a climbing nano wire gate but I'd rather use something lighter.. may look at incorporating a ring or something to give a drip break.

thank you once again

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    The tail of the whoopie many times acts as a rain break. A small piece of cordage on each end would easily do the same. Take a look at member dejoha's illustrations - they could help with some questions.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Images
    For most, the extra line that hangs off the sling is sufficient enough to divert the water. But in an area like yours, you may benefit from keeping the suspension separate from the hammock. Like you said, you really only need enough strap to wrap around the tree. So if you attach the fixed eye of the whoopie sling to an end of the tree hugger, and use some metal hardware to attach the adjustable end to the hammock like a carabiner or Dutch's whoopie hook which is a tiny piece of titanium. That way, you have some metal hardware to break the water's path, and you can keep you soaking wet lines packed separate from your hammock.

Also, check out The Ultimate Hang. Great book, and website as some great illustrations and more.

Images
    Seriously? You are ahead of me...I wish I would have discovered hammock camping when I was in college!

No stupid questions and LOTS of great info here.

Enjoy,

swank

• + New Posts