WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Yep, saw that Dyneema strap option but the price made me all a-scared. Couldn't justify the cost over how many times I might use them in a year. Sure as heck ain't gonna use my REI dividend on those things, either! I do like that buffer idea, but will wait to see what my big bro sends me to play with.

Sprite- I think you've got it right there; when it's too much of a hassle or I'm just too tired to fiddle, I'll probably keep the hammock in its sack and just tarp it or go cowboy.

Totally had to google 'kermantle' by the way.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1oz Dual Layer
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottybdiving View Post
    One more thing, the CAMP USA Tri-cams have dynema loops instead of cables.

Thats an option, too. Though, its just a sling as the anchor in that it goes around the object. I think the OP was referring to actual in-rock anchors such as these: http://www.backcountry.com/black-dia...opper-set-4-13. In conventional use rock climbing the wire loop has a biner or quick draw (double biner separated with a couple inches of strong webbing) that lets the rope pass through.

If you anchor the hammock straight to the wire whatever is touching it will wear over time, quicker than anything else. If you use some kind of buffer it will keep the wear to metal on metal (biner) or a replaceable connection like a short webbing or rope loop. When it wears out, cut it off and put a new one on.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flangler18 View Post
    I've seen many threads on treeless options but am coming up short finding info on (gasp!) going to the ground with a hammock when absolutely necessary. Searched here as well as the Googles and 'Tubes for ideas but have come up mostly empty-handed; perhaps I'm searching for the wrong terms. More specifically, does anyone have experience with ground set-up options for a WBBB?....................

I expect to be above treeline for some trips this summer and just want to know I'll be prepared for any situation. My (crazy) bigwall climbing brother said he'd hook me up with climbing hardware for rock hanging, so I'm pretty stoked about that!

Thanks
    Hey there flangler18,
    It is really nothing complicated at all. Especially if you are already an experienced tarp camper: are you?

If so, option #1: Just go to ground as if you did not even have a hammock with you( as already advised above). Use your hiking poles- or small trees/brush that might be available but too small for hanging- to support each end of your tarp and stake ends and sides to ground. If you don't have tarp experience, you might want to start by searching the net for tarp camping skills.

Option #2: If desired for bugs, add the hammock under the tarp as a bug bivy. Most hammocks are totally breathable, so they won't serve much ( a little help maybe) use as wind and water protection, unless you are using something along the line of a HH S.Shelter. But if needed for bugs, then just tie the hammock suspension to the hiking poles, with a ground pad or CCF pad( of course you will need a ground pad unless you are super tough) under the hammock. Then crawl in the hammock just like it is a tent and zip up, or go in through the HH bottom entry. Done.

I had to do this on my 3rd night of my 1st hammock camping trip, when caught way above timberline at night.

This was the only night in the week when I couldn't find trees. Two of us just got under one tarp, leaving the hammocks in the pack (no bugs). I was very glad I brought my pads.

PS:
    Well as usual if I had read the entire thread 1st, I would have seen I had nothing new to add. BTW, when I took my HHSS ,I have just used my space blanket as ground cloth.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-24-2011 at 08:55.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL W/ ADJ RL
    Tarp
    MLD Cuben Hex CTRL
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    1/8 Whoopie Slings
    Images

Why not pack a bivy?

If in the event you have to go to ground, unless you use a pad of some sort, for your hammock setup (i dont 40% of the time), you are going to have a pretty miserable night due to nothing besides the cold, hard ground beneath you.

That said, why not bring along a lightweight bivy or SMD net tent (something of the like) that is small and will provide protection for you & your down in the event of going to ground & dealing with precipitation -- not to mention protection from bugs.

This is from an UL perspective mind you; Depending on the trip, and how I pack, I sometimes use mu ULA CDT along with a Suluk46 frame sheet(also unfolds as a 2.2oz sleeping pad. If I carried a sub 12oz bivy, I'd be fairly safe.

Due to my weight, it's rather difficult to be UL with my hammock simply due to the fact I can't use a single layer and achieve a flat lay or maximum comfort. So that extra 8-12oz is a luxury item I sometimes take.

99% of the time if I have any doubt of suitable sites for my hammock, I leave it at home and spend the trip on the ground wishing I had the hammock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Distortedaxis View Post
    If in the event you have to go to ground, unless you use a pad of some sort, for your hammock setup (i dont 40% of the time), you are going to have a pretty miserable night due to nothing besides the cold, hard ground beneath you.

That said, why not bring along a lightweight bivy or SMD net tent (something of the like) that is small and will provide protection for you & your down in the event of going to ground & dealing with precipitation -- not to mention protection from bugs.

This is from an UL perspective mind you; Depending on the trip, and how I pack, I sometimes use mu ULA CDT along with a Suluk46 frame sheet(also unfolds as a 2.2oz sleeping pad. If I carried a sub 12oz bivy, I'd be fairly safe.

Due to my weight, it's rather difficult to be UL with my hammock simply due to the fact I can't use a single layer and achieve a flat lay or maximum comfort. So that extra 8-12oz is a luxury item I sometimes take.

99% of the time if I have any doubt of suitable sites for my hammock, I leave it at home and spend the trip on the ground wishing I had the hammock.
    You can absolutely do that, it would be a good idea under some conditions. But for those looking to save every last ounce– not to mention bulk –the hammock itself can serve some of the bivy functions. The main one being bug protection. The netting and nylon hammock shell will provide some additional wind protection and heat retention. But, if more moisture (wind?) protection is desired, a person can DWR the hammock shell as described by Ed Speer in his hammock camping book. And of course, for those already using something like a Hennessy Hammock Super Shelter, there is already a good bit of wind and water protection built in from that.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Wonderful inputs everyone. Yes, I was trying to stay light by combining shelter functions of the hammock (hammock+bivy). The CF groundsheet and climbing chocks (w/'biners--thanks!), will be my emergency luxury items for backcountry travel.
    “Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.” -Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I have a Momentum undercover that can double as a quilt cover if I needed one on the ground. With a sufficient tarp you can easily stay dry on the ground.

I have been using contracter bags, the large 10 mm plastic ones, as groundsheet/sitpad/gear containers - finally ordered up 2 yards of silnylon to make a rain skirt/ground sheet. A large trash bag duct taped around me worked pretty well in a goretex shoe drencher recently - time to sew up a dedicated item that will have several potential uses, including an end cap for the MacCat Deluxe.

Going to ground is pretty straightforward. My hammock in the stuff sack makes a decent pillow, which I don't need in the hammock. When I am expecting a chance of inadequate or no trees, I just take the pad and wings instead of the underquilt.

When you have a headnet? have some extra line or twine along. A loop around a pebble in netting and you can tie up the net off your face so the skeeters can't get to you through it. I made a 4 oz version of a torso length netting/cover - would not hesitate to carry that plus the hammock, if it were truly buggy, as it would have enough room to bring in dinner and eat inside the net before turning in for the night.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl & DIY 1.5 Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben Baby !
    Insulation
    Phoenix's&Burrow's
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I purchased a Equinox Ultralight Bivy Cover to use in exactly the situation your looking at.

I've never had to even get it out yet in the field but I mostly camp with tenters and on occations they will camp above the treeline for the views etc.

Only if I know there is a chance of the above tree line camping will I even bother taking it as I hate carrying extra junk, but if it gives me a better nights sleep I'll lug it.

My plan was to just use my tarp pitched out on the ground and I carried a small torso length piece of ccf pad with a plastic ground cloth just large enough to cover me lying down.

The equinox bivi's are cheap enough and should work reasonably well, also they don't weigh very much or take up much pack space.
    I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    At the risk of veering too far off topic, my search for that Equinox bivy cover turned up this:

Man, if I had a nickel for every time I was out in the sticks and said, "The view sure is nice...wish I had me some chaps."

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Pip, pip, old chap!

More or less on topic... if pairing it with a tarp, the Montbell sleeping bag cover/bivy is light and also breathable. I think the Equinox bivy is straight up 1.1 silnylon.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast