WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images

Absolute Last Resort - Ground Set-Up Help?

I've seen many threads on treeless options but am coming up short finding info on (gasp!) going to the ground with a hammock when absolutely necessary. Searched here as well as the Googles and 'Tubes for ideas but have come up mostly empty-handed; perhaps I'm searching for the wrong terms. More specifically, does anyone have experience with ground set-up options for a WBBB? I just ordered a 1.1 dl this morning (Where is it already?!? ha ha), and was hoping to find some instructions or pics on how to use it on the ground. Please know that I fully accept the risk of being forever shunned and silenced here for even PROPOSING to use a hammock as a...tent. Of sorts.

Before I get blown to bits with your understandable hatred for my heretical thoughts of fouling a nice hammock...I recently got a cuben fiber ground sheet from Joe at ZPacks for just such a ground emergency. Uber-light and tough--methinks it shall make a worthy buffer for the BB and thus an acceptable 'luxury' item in my pack.

Assume I'll be using trekking poles for staking out a MacCat Deluxe and, hopefully, the BB bugnet in some fashion. Is it as simple as hanging the bugnet from some sort of tarp ridgeline, or even the poles themsleves? I expect to do quite a bit of experimenting when I get my paws on that sweet hunk of Warbonnet love. I'm relatively new to both hammocking and tarping, so any experiences you folks can share would be greatly appreciated.

I expect to be above treeline for some trips this summer and just want to know I'll be prepared for any situation. My (crazy) bigwall climbing brother said he'd hook me up with climbing hardware for rock hanging, so I'm pretty stoked about that!

Thanks
    Last edited by Flangler; 03-23-2011 at 19:23.
    “Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.” -Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1oz Dual Layer
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Subscribing. You and I are on the same wavelenth with ground set ups

I got my blackbird as an alternative to a tent. I am looking forward to the weight savings. However, I've been places where stringing up a hammock would be impossible also. I looked in to getting a tarp tent to use with my trekking poles. One of my backpacking buddies has one - he borrows my poles to set it up. It works pretty good, I must say. However, the hanging idea hit me first and it seems like its a lot more comfortable.

You can string up a ridgeline between the trekking poles pretty easy. Just angle out two guy lines from each pole in the opposite direction as the ridgeline. Make sure they are enough of an angle and not too accute. This will keep the poles stable and you can tighten up the ridgeline to support a tarp and the bug net. I'd space the two out, though - keep the bug net under the tarp like you separate the walls of a double wall tent.

Good idea on the rock gear. I need to add to my rock climbing gear, I don't have any nuts or cams yet. Those would be great anchors for a hammock too. I am just about set on biners though. I use those for work - I go high places made of metal occasionally for antennas and GPS systems. Don't need nuts and cams to climb steel.

I have only had to do this once and it wasn't during the buggy season, but, what I did was pitch my tarp using both trekking poles and I had a tyvek torso length ground sheet that I usually used as a ground cloth for my gear, I used this on the ground, then my hammock, my clothes, gear, basically everything was used as padding and covered up with my top quilt and had my UQ under me (basically wrapped up in both TQ and UQ! Was the roughest night ever, but I didn't freeze (was actually warm) and I stayed dry (even though it didn't rain)!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    A regular hammock makes a lousy tent. That said, I have found it easier to use only one pole to pitch on the ground. Pitch the tarp in a flying-A with one end on the ground coming up to an A frame in the front off the trekking pole. Then string up the hammock from the trekking pole to the ground at the back of the tarp. This creates a low profile tarp with hammock bivy. Definately use a ground sheet.

Check HERE for a picture of this set up done with a bike and a Hennessy (third picture down)

-Mark
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flangler18 View Post
    am coming up short finding info on (gasp!) going to the ground with a hammock when absolutely necessary.

I expect to be above treeline for some trips this summer and just want to know I'll be prepared for any situation.
    Going to ground above treeline:
    I would not even unpack my hammock unless I needed the bug protection.
    I'd just use my tarp and walking poles.
    If I knew my trip was going to have camps above treeline I'd also pack a pad.

If I needed the bug protection I stretch out the hammock under the tarp between the
    walking pole just to hold it in place in case the wind came up.

Should be fun playing around with this in the backyard once your gear comes in.

Don't forget to take picts.

hth

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Thanks you guys for the terrific advice. In all my fruitless searches I left out one key word: "Bivy"

There are some great threads on here relating to 'hammock as bivy' and you all hit on the solutions that seem to be the most sucessful. The ridgeline question was tripping me up, probably more because I have yet to get my blackbird and actually see how and where the bugnet could be attached to one. Of course, experimentation and learning is a huge part of the fun of any new pursuit, right?

Re: rock gear, my brother is sending me some of his extra chocks and nuts. Can't wait to try them out! They seem to be very light and worth the extra carry weight given the potential for their use in some areas. From what I've seen, a lot of these devices have a steel wire attachment point. Any thoughts on suspension attachments and how this might wear on, say, an Amsteel whoopie sling?

Thought that bike must have one helluva kickstand before I noticed the guyline off the seat post. Silly, ain't i?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1oz Dual Layer
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Even though the slings, webbing, rope, whatever kind of suspension you have is ultimately replaceable - put a buffer between that and the wire for sure. A biner might add too much weight for your liking, but that may be the best route. Next up I'd go with some kind of prusik or webbing sling. Then replace as needed. 4-8mm kernmantle would work, or 1/2" tube webbing. Some 3/8" kevlar strap would be cool too if you can find it. Though, I am not sure how much it'd fray over the wire? I'd say 550 chord even, but I would be worried about the wear. For a couple nights it might work but I wouldn't want to use it much past that.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Yeppers, going to ground is inevitable at times, 1 out of 6 nights. Sometimes what trees there are, are growing too far apart or somewhere that a fall could be very bad. It is important to have a good pad but they come at a cost, both weight and $$$. The less weight, the more $$$. Since we were rafting, weight was not a big issue and we both have good pads. Still s..ks.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    One more thing, the CAMP USA Tri-cams have dynema loops instead of cables.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 12.jpg (202.2 KB, 62 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (289.3 KB, 77 views)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Images
    One of the reasons that I carry a bigger silnylon tarp (ed speer winter tarp) is because it allows the option to just tarp camp and leave the hammock packed away. I set up the tarp pretty low with trekking poles at either end, kind of an a-frame. This typically happens once a trip for me when I'm too tired to set up camp properly.

If it was really buggy, I will be carrying a head-net anyway, which I would sleep in. I suppose that would be uncomfortable for some people, but maybe you could try it. To sleep on, I use my half CCF pad and my empty pack.

I have trouble seeing the real benefit to setting up a hammock on the ground, when you could just use your tarp and a head-net for bug protection. I think it might be a hassle to enter and exit the hammock, and there'd be damage concerns.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast