Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Images

How much sag?

So I have been bitten by the hammock bug. For the last several weeks I hae been thinking, planning, and then last week I finally bought an Eagles Nest Double just to try it out.

So, I hae had it up several times but I haven't sleot in it yet. I'm still "sperimentin". Anyhow, I added a ridge line to get a consistant hang. But how much sag should I have? I have experimented with really tight al the way to pretty loose. About 3/4 loose seems to work well. However, on the ENO site the hammocks seek to hang lower. Am I missing something?

Anyhow, I thought I'd ask the experts!

Thanks.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    It's really depends on the size of the hammock and your own comfort level. I think wider hammocks need less sag and narrower hammocks need more sag to make them comfortable for me. I don't like a hammock that is really tight around the shoulder area. Increasing the sag will give you more room.

My advice would be to 'speriment some more and find what feels best to you. When I first started playing around with a ridge line I used a trucker's hitch to make the ridgeline adjustable on the fly. Once I got the correct sag I measured the ridge line and see how long it is and then I made a perminate ridge line of the appropriate length.

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle

Hammock Sag Angle

Check out Dave Wombles "Dissertation" in Hammocking News at:http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsle...06/Jan2006.htm

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - there really isn't a "correct" length or height or anything. As long as it's comfortable and dry, it's right. My advice is about like headchange's - use an adjustable knot or easy lashing. Make the ridgeline really short so it's just a bit uncomfortable for you, then let it out in ~6" increments until you find what you like. I like my narrow hammocks to have a bit less sag...the wider ones have more room to spread out so I give them more sag. Opposite of what headchange does...so as long as it works for you, stick with it.

There are a couple pics of ridgelines here.
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 12-03-2006 at 21:15.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by millergear View Post
    Check out Dave Wombles "Dissertation" in Hammocking News at:http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsle...06/Jan2006.htm
    Wow. That's a pretty technical write-up on sag. Maybe I should use a protractor when setting up my hammock .

I like how they addressed the height of the ridge line above the hammock. I think most people attach the ridge line near the whipping but I attach my ridge line to my biner in my suspension system like this:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=202&c=4

It makes the ridge line a little higher which keeps stuff that I have hanging from the ridge line out of my face and should keep bug netting up a little higher. If I need to lower the ridge line I just run it through a loop I made in the end of one of the whipping cord. You can see a close-up of that in the following picture. It doesn't effect the sag becaue the biner is still the attachment point of the ridge line.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=201&c=4

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Wow. That's a pretty technical write-up on sag. Maybe I should use a protractor when setting up my hammock .

I like how they addressed the height of the ridge line above the hammock. I think most people attach the ridge line near the whipping but I attach my ridge line to my biner in my suspension system like this:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=202&c=4

It makes the ridge line a little higher which keeps stuff that I have hanging from the ridge line out of my face and should keep bug netting up a little higher. If I need to lower the ridge line I just run it through a loop I made in the end of one of the whipping cord. You can see a close-up of that in the following picture. It doesn't effect the sag becaue the biner is still the attachment point of the ridge line.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=201&c=4

Interesting ridgeline system.

Right now I have one long strap (about 40') and tie a loop in it so that the loop goes over the end of my hammock knot. I still knot the end right now. This would work with whipping. I keep thinking of changing, but I really don't see myself adjusting the hammock after I get it where I like it. I like using the strap as my ridgeline. I can put a lot of stress and weight on it and not worry about breaking it.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Images
    Headchange4u,

I have a similar ridgeline setup. I'm trying to figure out how to make it none load bearing but still allow it to be used to get a consistant hang of the hammock. Anybody have any ideas on this one? I was considering a short piece of bungee cord.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you're using it to set the hammock's sag, it's by definition load-bearing...it sets the sag by bearing the load that would otherwise be on the hammock body only. A bungee would just stretch from the load....and then either break or continue bearing the load at full stretch.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    I am not sure of the weight of different ridgeline material. But I have to agree on having a load bearing ridgeline. The weight difference for going from the lighter rope to something that will hoad the weight can't be more than an oz. 40' of the straps that Ed Speer sells only weighs in around 8 oz.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chezrad View Post
    So I have been bitten by the hammock bug. For the last several weeks I hae been thinking, planning, and then last week I finally bought an Eagles Nest Double just to try it out.

So, I hae had it up several times but I haven't sleot in it yet. I'm still "sperimentin". Anyhow, I added a ridge line to get a consistant hang. But how much sag should I have? I have experimented with really tight al the way to pretty loose. About 3/4 loose seems to work well. However, on the ENO site the hammocks seek to hang lower. Am I missing something?

Anyhow, I thought I'd ask the experts!

Thanks.
    on sag,the main thing i do is hang high on each end but not tight,i have good sag and off the ground by 2 feet or so neo

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast