DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Without the slot, a ring will basically do the same thing.

I just save the weight altogether and use a truckers hitch. I think it's just as fast as the various tensioning devices and I haven't lost one yet.
    True-ish... The ring is round, and would not provide an area to "tie off" too like the "cleats" do. I think I may try a run at this. Keep in mind Red isn't trying to re-invint the wheel here, just throwing out an idea of what may be useful and make it easier for him. I like it. I'm also not an UL'er.

Rick
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC Rick View Post
    I think I have the same vision here. You would pass a "bend" through the hole and loop over the wings like a cleat (Syb) then come back around from the tree and do the same thing finishing with a half hitch or loop of your preference.

Clear as mud?
    I follow you up to the part where you come back from the tree, then you loose me, I need visual supports.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    Couldn't you just as easily pass the tag end of the line through the Prussik loop and to use it like a truckers hitch? Then tie the quick release half hitch to the Prussik loop. You would not even need the device and it would be easier.
    If I was going to use a prussik for a truckers hitch, then I'd just use a truckers hitch.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Without the slot, a ring will basically do the same thing.

I just save the weight altogether and use a truckers hitch. I think it's just as fast as the various tensioning devices and I haven't lost one yet.
    I've done it with just a ring, and with just a truckers hitch, and seem to have limited success with knots in the zing-it not slipping. Even with my fig9 my RL is loose in the AM, and I don't know if thats from slippage or stretch? I love a truckers hitch, but for me it works better in 550 cord or similar cordage that has both more friction and stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    We sure have some tensioner savants on this forum. Makes me happy to see.
    Cool Red ....mighty cool.
    Shug
    Why thank you sir. I do like to tinker, the usefulness of said tinkering is often in question, but I still have fun do'n it.

True-ish... The ring is round, and would not provide an area to "tie off" too like the "cleats" do. I think I may try a run at this. Keep in mind Red isn't trying to re-invint the wheel here, just throwing out an idea of what may be useful and make it easier for him. I like it. I'm also not an UL'er.

Rick
    True dat! Show us what you come up with when you're done.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap

Pardon the rough video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzVBKs-sp0U

Here was my attempt at a video reply for Red's idea. I had to work with the materials I could find in the clinic.

Rick
    Last edited by TFC Rick; 03-25-2011 at 15:18.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or UCR
    Images

Thanks

Red, Thanks for posting your work and especially thanks for posting the dimensions. That is truly in the DIY spirit.

Happy Trails

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzVBKs-sp0U

Here was my attempt at a video reply for Red's idea. I had to work with the materials I could find in the clinic.

Rick
    By doing it the way you have shown, you don't get any mechanical advantage to tighten your ridgeline. The only way to do that would be to insert the end of the line through the hole.

Good explanation of what your idea was.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    The cardboard wouldn't handle the tightening, but after inserting the second bend you would crank down before "cleating off". I hope to try this with an actual aluminum piece this weekend.

TFC Rick:I like video and agree with how to attach, but to tie off. If you pull the line all the way to the start and pull it under so that it gets trapped under the plate. If this is the plate. ]O[ with line ]O[--- now thru the plate --]O[--- around the tree c===]O[--- now the line is pull taut over the line and around the plate c===]O[)--- if you pull hard the line will pop into the hole then around c==(]O[)--- again pull hard and pop the line into the hole one more turn popped into the hole is all you need c==((]O[))---

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tpkanu View Post
    Red, Thanks for posting your work and especially thanks for posting the dimensions. That is truly in the DIY spirit.

Happy Trails
    You're welcome, I hope you enjoy the info.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    By doing it the way you have shown, you don't get any mechanical advantage to tighten your ridgeline. The only way to do that would be to insert the end of the line through the hole.

Good explanation of what your idea was.

Cheers

Brian
    Thats what I was thinking, but you beat me to it.

The cardboard wouldn't handle the tightening, but after inserting the second bend you would crank down before "cleating off". I hope to try this with an actual aluminum piece this weekend.
    Thanks for the video response, that was great. I do video b/c I lack the vocabulary to explain myself clearly with words only. I just tried what you were talking about with what was V1.0 of this project, as it does not have a slit cut in the center hole, and I didn't love it. The keyhole makes it easier to get the wraps etc.... there's always the chance I was doing it wrong too. Look'n fwd to your aluminum prototype video.

Quote Originally Posted by Xauto View Post
    TFC Rick:I like video and agree with how to attach, but to tie off. If you pull the line all the way to the start and pull it under so that it gets trapped under the plate. If this is the plate. ]O[ with line ]O[--- now thru the plate --]O[--- around the tree c===]O[--- now the line is pull taut over the line and around the plate c===]O[)--- if you pull hard the line will pop into the hole then around c==(]O[)--- again pull hard and pop the line into the hole one more turn popped into the hole is all you need c==((]O[))---
    I also think I tried doing what you explain here, but I'm not positive I did that correctly either. But when you come around the backside after going around the tree it has a tendency to want to capsize, and I don't think I'm following the "pop into the hole" concept....So without doubt I'm not doing it as you intend. If you could whip up a vid or some pix maybe that would help.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Red I love V2. The only improvement I can think of is personal preference. I would drill a small hole so I could tie the line to the gizmo rather than have a loose knot holding it to the ridge line. Like I said just a personal preference. Bonus for the gram wienies the little hole would make it lighter.

Why is this an improvement over a Figure nine or a Truckers hitch? Ever try using masons line in a figure nine? I have. No workey so well. I would bet the KLT would work just fine on pretty much any small dia. line. Truckers hitch? The only knot I like is the Marlin Spike Hitch. Ok I love that one. One of my goals with my setup is to use as few knots as possible. Knots are not finger friendly in the middle of winter.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Ok what I'm trying to say the tie off is wrapping. It is like shanking a flat button.
    Last edited by Xauto; 03-26-2011 at 06:44.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast