Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    ZPACK CUBEN
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Web'g cinch buckle
    Images
    I started with an HH, didn't like the bottom door, bought an ENO and found out what comfort could be. Bought a ten foot Claytor Jungle Hammock and really liked the length. The others are 10 foot. Made three hammocks since then, one is 10 feet, one is 11 feet and one is 12 feet. The longer they are, to me, the more comfortable they get.
    SEMPER FIDELIS

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i've pretty much settled on 11' long... for now<g>.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Point still taken about starting way long, but out of curiosity, how tall are you guys? I'm about 6'1"-6'2". I'm sure it still all depends on personal preferences how big you like you hammock, but I'm curious.

Images
    I'm just under 6', and I can only second what others have said. Make it longer. I made my hammock 10' long, and I am planning to add 6" to the next one.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    5' 10" last time i checked<g>.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

Hammock
    DIY &quot;Bridge Style&quot;
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow and Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch hook whoopie
    Images

Another View

...My question is do you think for a "first" hammock I should buy something or build? I like the Hennessy, but don't really care about the bottom entrance. I'd rather have a removable net....

My concern with a DIY, especially the HH Clone is that I wouldn't know how it should feel, since I've not used a HH....Any thoughts or advice?

My thoughts and advise to you for your "first hammock" is to buy. The expense is well worth it. I have made many DIY hammocks, I'm really happy with the 50% that really worked out. However, previously I have also purchased at least six hammocks from manufacturers. The DIY models that you later build will benefit a lot from experiences with well designed manufactured models.

You say you would rather have a removable net, but you don't say why this is important to you. I assume weight savings in cases where bugs will not be present, although I am never so confidant to go camping with the belief that bugs will not be present. Anyway, if you can let the removable net idea slide, my advice to you is to contact Warbonnetguy and buy one from him. His model has a unique well thought out entry, and a more functional A-sym design than the hh. My 2 cents.
    "Better living through Hammockry"

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    thanks dblhmmk. It's not so much just the weight savings with a removable net, as it is overall versatility and being able to customize the gear to suit me rather than to let the gear limit me. I know there are some great hammocks being sold and that's half my trouble. I guess I want to try it all without spending hundreds of dollars to buy it all I'd like to be able to hang year round at some point being able to zip on different covers like headchange was talking about with his hennessy clone seems like a good idea.

Like I said I was set on getting a HH ULB, but I think the bottom entry will be more trouble than it's worth when used with an underquilt...I could be wrong. Plus, I was thinking I wanted to make a tarp anyway..and now I want to make a quilt and underquilt....seems like if I'm going to be making everything else I might as well make the hammock.

I thought you couldn't buy warbonnet anymore???

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbwtt View Post
    thanks dblhmmk. It's not so much just the weight savings with a removable net, as it is overall versatility and being able to customize the gear to suit me rather than to let the gear limit me. I know there are some great hammocks being sold and that's half my trouble. I guess I want to try it all without spending hundreds of dollars to buy it all I'd like to be able to hang year round at some point being able to zip on different covers like headchange was talking about with his hennessy clone seems like a good idea.

Like I said I was set on getting a HH ULB, but I think the bottom entry will be more trouble than it's worth when used with an underquilt...I could be wrong. Plus, I was thinking I wanted to make a tarp anyway..and now I want to make a quilt and underquilt....seems like if I'm going to be making everything else I might as well make the hammock.

I thought you couldn't buy warbonnet anymore???
    I'm a bridge hammock guy now but have had a few Hennessys in the past.
    Pads are a real pain to use inside a Hennessy. Call it hammock wrestlemania. An underquilt works well with one. I don't believe Warbonnet Guy is making anymore hammocks.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

i'm not selling anything right now, i am working on designing a new line without the origional eldorado. i should have at least one hammock, maybe 2 at some point in the near (hopefully) future.

Hammock
    DIY &quot;Bridge Style&quot;
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow and Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch hook whoopie
    Images
    Plus, I was thinking I wanted to make a tarp anyway..and now I want to make a quilt and underquilt....seems like if I'm going to be making everything else I might as well make the hammock.
    That's great, Mbwtt, it seems your decision has become clear. And with the support of this community that you (we all) have found, I know you will succeed. As you stated you will be..

able to customize the gear to suit me rather than to let the gear limit me.
    Good choice!

And for Warbonnetguy's post..

i'm not selling anything right now, i am working on designing a new line without the origional eldorado. i should have at least one hammock, maybe 2 at some point in the near (hopefully) future.
    Please PM me if there is a waiting list, or notify how I can get one of your new hammock models when they are avaiable. Thanks!
    "Better living through Hammockry"