WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by MadRacDad View Post
    Don't forget that arrows come in hundreds of wall weights (schedule??) and diameters. A large diameter thin wall would be quite a bit weaker than small\ thick one. If I remember correctly the numbers are something like 2214, the 22 is the diameter and the 14 is the gauge of the aluminum.
    Yup, Aluminium arrows sizes are identified with 4 numbers printed on the shaft*such as 1816. This means the arrow has an outside diameter of 18/64" and a wall thickness of 20 one thousands of an inch.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I went to Menards (Home depot, Lowes, same thing) to their materials section. They usually carry angle iron, tubing, rod, in both aluminum and steel. I bought the 1/2'' Al. tubing to make mine. Never had any issues and they weigh next to nothing (about .3 oz for 2-4'' toggles with a loop of kelty trip tease connected).
    Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!

Hammock
    DIY/Hammock Bliss/GT UL
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    diy uq
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

check the webbing

I had a similar issue with my homemade toggles. I determined that my webbing was bunching up as I created my marlin spike hitch where the webbing wraps around the toggle. That was creating a much smaller surface area that was contacting the toggle, so when weight was applied, the knot cinched down tighter on the toggle with a small surface area, thus contributing to a collapsing toggle. It didn't actually fail, mind you, it was just an observation that I made so I discarded the toggles. BTW, I weigh about 250.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    I use a cut down aluminum Slurpee straw from 7-11. Have a look at my photo gallery. There is a close up of the straw. When I first started using it, I was at 240lbs. I've lost weight and have no fears now.
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    good info guys. this was my first arrow toggle attempt. i still think im stickin to my biners. makes me feel better when layin down.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have been watching this thread with interest as I awaiting the arrival of my whoopee slings (and some other cool gear from AHE).

I scored some arrow shafts from a mate at work that I’ll give a go – all be it hanging ever so close to the ground.

I measured them on the weekend and they are aluminum, wall wide of .7mm and shaft diameter of 1cm. (sorry about the metric numbers guys).

I’ll give you a update, should only be days away.. Surly.. Is that the mail man?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123