Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Shopping
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie\SLS
    Images

SLS with "Dumbell" toggles

Here is my spin on the Single Line suspension (SLS). What I have is essentially a 40 foot piece of amsteel with whoopie loops in both ends. Next, I have 2 Marlin Spike Hitches with toggles between the loops. I have attatched my hammock to the toggles with Larks head knots (hitches?). This is basically like the SLS Grizz displays in one of his videos except he uses rings. I have found that rings want to creep when loaded and they move a little after each use. So, what I did was make toggles out of 1/4 inch all thread a 3/4 inch piece of Pex (water line) 2 wing nuts and washers. They have worked flawlessly for several back yard hangs. They allow me to "squeeze" (by tightening the wing nuts) the hitches a little and this keeps them dressed. The last photo is of a 1/2 inch piece of Pex I use for a spike on my tree huggers (works good). Does this make sense??

I'm a noob so criticism is welcome. Tell me is this a good idea or am I headed for one of those EPIC FAIL posters.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I think that I shall never see
    A poem as lovely as a tree.... Joyce Kilmer "Trees"

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MadRacDad View Post
    Here is my spin on the Single Line suspension (SLS). What I have is essentially a 40 foot piece of amsteel with whoopie loops in both ends. Next, I have 2 Marlin Spike Hitches with toggles between the loops. I have attatched my hammock to the toggles with Larks head knots (hitches?). This is basically like the SLS Grizz displays in one of his videos except he uses rings. I have found that rings want to creep when loaded and they move a little after each use. So, what I did was make toggles out of 1/4 inch all thread a 3/4 inch piece of Pex (water line) 2 wing nuts and washers. They have worked flawlessly for several back yard hangs. They allow me to "squeeze" (by tightening the wing nuts) the hitches a little and this keeps them dressed. The last photo is of a 1/2 inch piece of Pex I use for a spike on my tree huggers (works good). Does this make sense??

I'm a noob so criticism is welcome. Tell me is this a good idea or am I headed for one of those EPIC FAIL posters.
    I like this. The one thing I wonder about is whether those on-the-SLS toggles stay in the same place on the SLS if tied with an MLS when you've taken the hammock down and stuff it into a bag, pulled it out again.

I've been thinking about an SLS where there are loops spliced into the SLS right about where your toggles are. Biggest downside if the SLS has built-in whoopie slings like yours is that they need their own length of SLS for a bury, and this increases the minimum useable distance between trees. No free lunch it seems.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WBRR dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Shopping
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie\SLS
    Images
    In my very limited experience with these has been they do not slip at all. I have taken down\ stuffed the hammock 10 or so times--no slippage. I believe the squeeze on the lines keeps them in place. I played around with the length of the pex bushing on the all thread and for my set up (1/8 amsteel with 7/64 continuous loops) about 3/4 of an inch worked best. Of course I can remove these spikes by simply removing one or more wing nuts, then just retie the MSH.

Also, I made one of these toggles using surgical hose in place of the pex bushing. It worked and allows more squeeze for knot retention but I worried about the soft hose cutting on the threads and then cutting the amsteel. Lastly, I made one with nylon all thread (for weight savings) It worked but the all thread deformed, I was concerened it would fail.
    Last edited by MadRacDad; 03-23-2011 at 14:06. Reason: I left stuff out

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy Mac Cat
    Insulation
    down uq
    Suspension
    SLS mule tape
    I think its genius.
    You don't sleep on the ground at home, why would you expect me to out here?

Hammock
    BMBH, GT single para
    Tarp
    WB mamajamba
    Insulation
    walmart 40f bag UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie>togg>strap
    Images
    very slick, i like it a lot..... Not enough to convert to SLS but it does look really easy to use and clean
    ...in it for pics.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I like it! Great imagination!
    I love how there is no end to the flow of thought on this forum!!!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBRR dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Shopping
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie\SLS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxM View Post
    I think its genius.
    Quote Originally Posted by thekalimist View Post
    very slick, i like it a lot..... Not enough to convert to SLS but it does look really easy to use and clean
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I like it! Great imagination!
    I love how there is no end to the flow of thought on this forum!!!
    Thanks for the comments, I promise not to bump my thread again.

I left one thing out, I don't have an underquilt yet. However, most seem to use shock cord for suspension. It would be very easy to stretch shock cord around\ over these toggles. It may even replace the need for triangle thingees. It will be a while but I'll post a new thread after I get one. Again, thankee for the kind words.

Very neat design! This is the one suspension type that I haven't tried yet, hmmmmmmmm, now which hammock could I change around?????????

Did you try any other fixed points other than the marlin spike or any other knot's? I was thinking that a clove hitch would work as well?????
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBRR dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Shopping
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie\SLS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Very neat design! This is the one suspension type that I haven't tried yet, hmmmmmmmm, now which hammock could I change around?????????

Did you try any other fixed points other than the marlin spike or any other knot's? I was thinking that a clove hitch would work as well?????
    I don't see why a clove hitch would not work. I used a MSH so I could easly change the location of the "dumbells" when test hanging. Also, a MSH can be tied in--line (without needing the ends of the line).

I figued out my ideal distance and they are essentially fixed now. I actually reburied my loops as close as I could to the toggles so I could use trees as close as possible (about 8 feet 6 inches for me).

You don't need the ends to tie a clove!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast