Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clark Hammock Suspension Preferences

Hi All,

I am looking to gain some knowledge on hammock suspensions before I dive into a new hammock purchase. I am leaning heavily towards a Clark NX-250, and when the funds are available I will probably go for it and upgrade from my ENO Doublenest so I can hang during colder temps comfortably and with less hassle. Here's my question...

I have spent some time in the Suspension forum, and I must say, it all has my head spinning. Carabiners vs. other hardware, a dizzying array of knots, whoopie slings, slap straps, different materials, high, low, left, right, etc....

Can someone help me, starting with some basic principles, so that I can make an educated decision? I want to get more comfortable with my knot tying skills, but I also want something simple and easy so I can set up quickly if needed.

I own a pair of slap straps for my ENO Doublenest already, so is this something I could incorporate into use with my Clark?

Thanks for helping out the new guy, and here's a hammock picture just for fun. This is last summer. I hung this up over a river during a kayaking trip in the Vernon Marsh in Southeaster WI. The water was flowing right beneath me... it was great!

JGON

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I dont see any reason you couldn't use your slap straps with a clark.
    "The only rule to survivialin is NEVER GIVE UP"
    Swinginranger

Hammock
    Clark NX150
    Tarp
    OES 12x15, SF
    Insulation
    MW4, NO Snivler
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    I have the JRB all in one on my sons nx150. I think its the best, and simplest out there.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock-NX 250
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps, cinch bkls
    I use straps with cinch buckles and dutch clips, makes pitching the hammock a snap.
    "Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime” Rupert Pupkin

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I converted teh stock ropes of my NX-250

to AHE cinch buckles on Amsteel loops and one-piece suspension straps from AHE terminating in loops with 'biners. Quick and easy from my point of view.

Jim

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Suspension
    Homemade Woopie
    I think that what you will need to consider is the type of hanging that you would like to do. If weight and bulk are a big factor for you, maybe you are into distance hiking, then you will probably want to get something more minimalist for your suspension. Personally I just recently moved from the stock setup on my 250 over to some DIY whooping slings with amsteel, two climbing biners and the Clark tree straps. I really like how quick it is to setup and find adjustments much easier to make. If I needed to go lighter I would move over to a Martin spike hitch with a small piece of aluminum and some smaller tree straps. I think the important thing for me is the ease of adjustment. I rarely get the sag and centering perfect the first time I string it up and being able to adjust it without having to untie anything really helps.
    The destination isn't as important as most people think it is. Most times all you need is a direction and "that way" is often a good one. Enjoy the journey, cause you never know when or if you'll be back.

Quote Originally Posted by forgottenWedge View Post
    I think that what you will need to consider is the type of hanging that you would like to do. If weight and bulk are a big factor for you, maybe you are into distance hiking, then you will probably want to get something more minimalist for your suspension. Personally I just recently moved from the stock setup on my 250 over to some DIY whooping slings with amsteel, two climbing biners and the Clark tree straps. I really like how quick it is to setup and find adjustments much easier to make. If I needed to go lighter I would move over to a Martin spike hitch with a small piece of aluminum and some smaller tree straps. I think the important thing for me is the ease of adjustment. I rarely get the sag and centering perfect the first time I string it up and being able to adjust it without having to untie anything really helps.
    What kind of knot or other attachment do you use to secure the biner to your hammock?

Also, as you can tell from my post count, I am fairly new to hammock forums. I am learning that whoopie slings are the overwhelming favorite among experienced hangers, but I can't quite figure them out yet. I am going to do some more research to figure out what exactly they are.

I am from southeastern WI, so elevation change is not a huge factor for me, lessening my concern for being super ultralight. I also only rarely get out for more than a 1 or 2 nighter, so again, weight is not really an issue. The weight savings by switching to a hammock from a tent are already a huge plus.

Does anyone just use a secure, adjustable knot to secure the hammock ropes to the tree? I feel like that would be one of the more obvious solutions, but again, I'm the noob here.

Thanks for all the help!

JGON

Hammock
    WL lite owl
    Tarp
    camo BMJ
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Weight consideration and fiddle factor has alot to do with what I'm using at the moment. Started with the stock suspension on my nx-150, not to bad if you use the drip ring for an adjustment, but I wanted lighter so I went with 6ft. Tree straps to soft shackels to whoopie slings, nice and light but a little too much fuss getting the soft shackle together with cold fingers. So I swapped the shackles for camp nano carabiners still pretty light and setup is super fast and easy. The whoopies connect to the clarks by running them through the end channels.

I convertedboth my Clarks to AIO system whoopie slings from "whoopie slings"

Hammock
    Clark NA200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 DLX/7 UL
    Suspension
    Stock Clark
    I have the Clark North American and still use the stock ropes. I use a carabiner on the clark tree straps and just run the rope through the biner, then back to the drip ring, pull it through the drip ring like you would a truckers hitch (I know, I didnt know what that was when I was a noob either), pull it to the desired tightness then just tie a knot (slippery half hitch) in front of the drip ring. Easy to adjust, easy to untie, didnt have to switch anything out from the stock hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast