DIY Gathered and ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Getting close. Next week is a busy week for me. My birthday is Tuesday. Gotta get a physical and do a PT test for the Army on Thursday. Then I get to go to my first hang on Friday. It'll be the first time I've legit camped (and not car camping) since I was a cub scout.

If you don't try due to fear of failure you've already failed due to fear.

Hamhocker and I were talking about driving down Friday after work. No way we can get drive down there and hike in to where everyone will be camping at Friday night.

Does anyone know if you can camp a little past the trailhead on the Tenn. side?
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    Does anyone know if you can camp a little past the trailhead on the Tenn. side?
    There is a campsite just a few hundred yards from the parking area on the AL side, but I don't recall an established site on the TN side. Of course if you didn't have a campfire it would be easy to make a stealth site anywhere along the trail.

FWIW, the TN side is easy to follow even at night. It is virtually paved with blazes.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY Gathered and ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Hey everybody. I just spent the day learning how to make stuff with Amsteel Blue. I've made a bunch of soft shackles and a couple whoopie slings. I have another 100' of Amsteel so let me know if you want me to bring it and make what you need and/or show you how to make stuff with it.

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    There is a campsite just a few hundred yards from the parking area on the AL side, but I don't recall an established site on the TN side. Of course if you didn't have a campfire it would be easy to make a stealth site anywhere along the trail.

FWIW, the TN side is easy to follow even at night. It is virtually paved with blazes.
    thanks for that info. We may try to night hike in or hike in a ways before we camp for the night

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCadet View Post
    Hey everybody. I just spent the day learning how to make stuff with Amsteel Blue. I've made a bunch of soft shackles and a couple whoopie slings. I have another 100' of Amsteel so let me know if you want me to bring it and make what you need and/or show you how to make stuff with it.
    Hamhocker said she would like to learn how to make some whoopie slings/soft shackles
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    1.1 Dbl WBBB/Traveler
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Dang wish I had of seen this before! I committed to a wedding that weekend! Could really use some help on my set up too

Hammock
    DIY Gathered and ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    One week to go. I'm so excited I can't stop thinking about it. I added my cell phone number to the Sign Up Sheet, just in case anyone needs it. I don't know how well it will work, but I'll leave it turned on (vibrate) just in case any stragglers need some info.
    After looking at the trail map and realizing everyone is leaving on the Alabama side I changed my route to in on the Tenn side, out on the Bama side. I'm sure someone will leave around the same time as me and drive me to my car.
    Also I was reading more about the Walls and read it's a rock climber's destination as well. So I think I may bring my harness' and rope and do some climbing Saturday.

Hammock
    Hennessey 2QZQ Mod2
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCadet View Post
    One week to go. I'm so excited I can't stop thinking about it. I added my cell phone number to the Sign Up Sheet, just in case anyone needs it. I don't know how well it will work, but I'll leave it turned on (vibrate) just in case any stragglers need some info.
    After looking at the trail map and realizing everyone is leaving on the Alabama side I changed my route to in on the Tenn side, out on the Bama side. I'm sure someone will leave around the same time as me and drive me to my car.
    Also I was reading more about the Walls and read it's a rock climber's destination as well. So I think I may bring my harness' and rope and do some climbing Saturday.
    Do you have the stuff to repell? That would be awsome. I go to church with basmaster and we can't wait till this weekend. cheers

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    SC:
    That sounds like fun.......are you climbing only or repelling as well??? I will bring my harness and can assist with a bottom belay if you need it..........
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DIY Gathered and ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I don't really know as I have never been and don't know what the location is. I actually don't have any equipment. I was going to buy a harness, rope, and stoppers or cams tomorrow. I've only ever gone to the indoor place where they've already hung the rope for top-down climbing. I'm glad you have a harness and know how to belay. I was going to buy two and spend tomorrow teaching the girlfriend to belay. But she is 4'11" and 100lbs. so i was a bit nervous about her belaying for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    SC:
    That sounds like fun.......are you climbing only or repelling as well??? I will bring my harness and can assist with a bottom belay if you need it..........

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast