Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HH undershelter with JRB Nest

When I bought the Nest it was suggested not to use the undershelter on the HH, the reason being is that it would compress the down too much. However I like the idea of the added protection of the undershelter (not using the underpad) with the Nest, it acts as a wind barrier also.
    I slept last night, at 30 degrees (had the Old Rag Mtn quilt in the hammock), with both the undershelter and Nest and stayed warm. Had a lot of condensation though inside the hammock as I used the Overcover, there wasn't any wind. Has anyone experimented using the Nest with the undershelter compared to just the Nest? Thanks.

Images
    I have not. So, how did your Nest do condensation wise? Was the down pretty damp? Did the HH undercover seem to compress the down?

I didn't find much condensation on the Nest, but I just checked the foot end, as I had to get to the house to pee! It was a backyard hang, made more exciting by the coyotes howling and my German Shepherds joining in. The inside of the hammock was very damp though, and I attribute that to the use of the over shelter cover (with the small ventilating hole) and a windless night. This was my first night with the Old Rag Mtn quilt and it is fantastic, and SO much easier to get in and out, compared to a mummy style bag.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Put the supershelter against the hammock and the Nest on the outside. Otherwise your down will fill up with condensation. You may not be able to see it, but weigh your Nest before you get in and weigh it again in the morning...I bet it's there.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Jeff, you're right. I just checked the Nest and it is SOAKED on the bottom. So I'll try the undershelter next to the hammock and the Nest on the outside. Thanks.

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt(s)
    Images

Nest & Super Shelter

We have always recommended NOT putting the Nest inside the Super Shelter. It fits too tightly to the hammock and will limit the loft of the quilt. Besides, at that temperature the Nest should be sufficient by itself.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Smee View Post
    We have always recommended NOT putting the Nest inside the Super Shelter. It fits too tightly to the hammock and will limit the loft of the quilt. Besides, at that temperature the Nest should be sufficient by itself.

Regards,
    Okay Smee, so when is your under cover coming back on the market?

Hammock
    WBB1.7, HH EXP UL , Claytor Nonet
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, RMS
    Suspension
    buckles or whoopie
    Images

under the nest......

Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    I also have been kinda hoping, waiting, etc. I know is was a material supply etc. but those that have/had one still talk about it
    thanks

Images
    Once I purchased the JRB quilts I modified my HH Supershelter so that it attached to the underquilt as a protective cover. That way it can't compress the quilt. I did this in case I get caught in a heavy blowing rain it would keep the quilt dry. But since I use the HH sil hex fly nothing gets to me anyway so I've never had to use it. If I was to use it, I'd be sure to take it off after the storm because sil doesn't breath.
    If you must choose between two evils, opt for the one you've never tried before

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt(s)
    Images

JRB Weather Shield Type 2

Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Actually, we're waiting on the trial run from the factory now. We should have something on the web site this month.

Regards,

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast