Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    SuperFly w/doors
    Insulation
    WInc and Burrow
    Suspension
    webbing
    I don’t backpack (I motorcycle camp), but I always find these lightening-up/what-to-pack threads interesting. They help me reevaluate what I take on trips.

The advice to sort through your gear after a trip is great advice, and it has helped me to save a lot of weight (relatively speaking) on subsequent trips. (I still practice my hobby of overpacking, though.)

Chris

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Here is one way of looking at this, almost everything on your list can be gotten lighter, so you can keep the things you want!

Having the larger tarp, if you feel that this is what you need to have to feel comfy and dry, then I say "Keep" it, but, if you are looking to go lighter and still keep the same amount of coverage you have the spinn and cuben option! Doing this will save you weight!

For rain gear, if you feel that pants are a must have, you have a couple options, if you can sew, you can get the materials and make a pair yourself (cuben/spinn/sil), or you can look into a dri-ducks pair! Also the rain jacket, there are plenty of jackets out there that are under 10oz's, so by doing this you will drop some weight!

Stove: I carry both a alky stove and a wood stove, and many do, if that is what you like then continue to do so! But one option to try (this is what I do) is I carry a stuff sack (waterproof) that I keep dry tinder and dry wood in, it's just enough to get the wood stove going (well two times actually) so that if it has been raining I have some dry wood to get my wood stove going and I can use the wet wood(well I use my knife to get to the less wet inside wood)! Now the amount of alky I carry is in direct reflection to how many meals I need it for, I only use my alky for breakfast and I only use wood for dinner, so I only need 1oz for a 2cup water boil in the morning, if I need more I will just go ahead and fire up the wood instead! I only carry 1oz per day sometimes only 1/2oz per day, remember if you have already treated your water you really don't need is to come to a rolling boil, just very hot will still give you the same results!

If you like having a cup to drink out of and a pot to cook in and want to keep them that way try looking for something lighter, MBD has the QMH cook pot (the one that Shug uses) this is very, very light weight, also you could look at the MSR Titan cup, which is much lighter than your listed coffee cup!

Just by doing things like this you can cut weight, but still keep the comforts that you like, now mind you that in order to cut serious weight, you will most likely have to do some of the things that Raul/GLP/and Wags (+ others) have said and start dropping things! But I would take a look around first as you might just surprise yourself at what can be had that is lighter than what you got!?!?

A much lighter weight pack cover can be had by switching to a Z-Packs cuben (I have one for my OHM and it is very, very nice), this would cut a couple ounces!

Or switching to lighter line for things, the cuben stuff sacks (or dry sacks) would cut weight!
    If you were to go this route (like I tried to explain, but probably didn't do very well) you could cut a least 1/4 of the weight (if not a 1/3rd)! As remember, ounces add up, so before you know it, you could lose a couple lbs!

Not sure if this helps you or confuses you (ha I think I confused myself???)!!!!
    Well I will be getting a lighter 3 season tarp, I do the alcohol like you mention to , the cup is the MSR Titan you mention and have lightweight cordage already. already thinking more cuben stuff sacks and cuben rain cover. May start on lightening the tarp sacks stakes and some clothing and worring about swithching packs later, I like my catalyst and 3 1/2 lbs is a whole lot better than the 6 lb kelty I used to have lol

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by medicjimr View Post
    Well I will be getting a lighter 3 season tarp, I do the alcohol like you mention to , the cup is the MSR Titan you mention and have lightweight cordage already. already thinking more cuben stuff sacks and cuben rain cover. May start on lightening the tarp sacks stakes and some clothing and worring about swithching packs later, I like my catalyst and 3 1/2 lbs is a whole lot better than the 6 lb kelty I used to have lol
    Jim, been doing the same thing here - working on the multiple smaller items vs getting the pack right away

??? The pot you have is the MSR Titan and the cup is the snow peak right?

The one you listed is 4 oz (snow peak)and the MSR Titan Cup is 1.9oz!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    ??? The pot you have is the MSR Titan and the cup is the snow peak right?

The one you listed is 4 oz (snow peak)and the MSR Titan Cup is 1.9oz!
    Duh my bag snow peak

Hammock
    WBBB Single 1.7
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Kick Ass Quilts
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Very good reading all... On the TP, why is the blue shop towel better? Is it because you can use one square per wipe?

Thanks, Ski

Duh my bag snow peak
    It's all good man!

But like others and I mention if you look there are lighter weight options out there! Good luck with the search!!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by ohski View Post
    Very good reading all... On the TP, why is the blue shop towel better? Is it because you can use one square per wipe?

Thanks, Ski
    some ppl think it's better ...some don't... TP is one area i don't agree with other UL hikers on...i like my TP and will not go without it.... i don't mind that extra oz at all besides it's like fuel it will get used up and you will have less to carry out with you
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    A 1.7 DL Traveler with bug net is .5oz lighter than a 1.7 DL Blackbird, with the option of not bringing the 7.5oz bugnet. I don't carry the stuff sack. I have tried using titanium stakes and they just bend, warp and break in the rocky soil I usually travel in so I carry 4 groundhogs for the corners and 4 Golite V stakes for my winter tarp. I just carry the 4 Golites for my 3 season and summer tarps. They have never failed me. DriDucks are nice if you are extremely careful with them, but again, these have failed me in the field and I now carry either a TNF Venture (13.9oz.) or a Golite Malpais Trinity (8oz). I would rather carry a little more weight and know that I can count on the gear I carry.
    Last edited by whayneneal; 03-27-2011 at 11:47.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by whayneneal View Post
    A 1.7 DL Traveler with bug net is .5oz lighter than a 1.7 DL Blackbird, with the option of not bringing the 7.5oz bugnet. I don't carry the stuff sack. I have tried using titanium stakes and they just bend, warp and break in the rocky soil I usually travel in so I carry 4 groundhogs for the corners and 4 Golite V stakes for my winter tarp. I just carry the 4 Golites for my 3 season and summer tarps. They have never failed me. DriDucks are nice if you are extremely careful with them, but again, these have failed me in the field and I now carry either a TNF Venture (13.9oz.) or a Golite Malpais Trinity (8oz). I would rather carry a little more weight and know that I can count on the gear I carry.
    Thanks for heads up on titanium shepard hook stakes , we have rocky soil here . I am going to focus on tarp and pack for now and that will immediatly drop 3 1/2 lbs .

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast