Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Walhalla 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    OES MC DLX Sil
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ/ GL Bag

Why Gathered end vs an Asym?

I have both an ENO DN and a HH ULB. I had the ENO before I bought the HH (Had to support an up-and-coming NC company when I bought the ENO stuff). I have been playing with both setups (in my basement) and I continue to go back to the ENO for comfort, but I love the weight of the HH. I don't like the setup time of the ENO, but I hate the bottom entry of the HH (I know that I can upgrade it) What a dilemma! So, why do you choose your rig?

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I choose my rig, because Warbonnet makes some amazing products that are incredibly easy to setup and use.
    If there's two ways to take my comments, assume it's the lighter and funnier of the two.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LyttleBryan View Post
    I choose my rig, because Warbonnet makes some amazing products that are incredibly easy to setup and use.
    +1 on warbonnet quality, comfort and ease of operation.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    It is my firm belief that width correlates with comfort. The eno is 6'8" wide, if I read the specs correctly. The hennessy's are 60" wide.

QED
    grinder

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Choose? I'm well into year two, and nowhere close to choosing. I'm leaning, though. Love that gathered end comfort.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Walhalla 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    OES MC DLX Sil
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ/ GL Bag
    Yeah the ENO is pretty comfortable!

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY IX 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings
    Images
    Tanker,

I have an ENO DN and a GT UL. I too find the ENO the most comfy. Just curious on your suspension system as you mentioned you didn't like the setup time.

Since adding whoopie slings/tree straps, and most importantly a structural ridge line, my setup and fiddle time was cut to next to nothing. I do not have a bug net/sock but it seems like it would be easy to slip on and slide over the hammock on since the whoopie slings lift off the marlin spike.

However, I have never setup an HH (yet) so have no real basis for comparison. It is so easy to become a gear junkie!

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I will have to say my favorite is a plan DIY gathered end 11' hammock with 9' ridgeline. You can lay Asym and very comfy. around 14oz with whoopie sling.
    knotty has some nice Instr. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    It is my firm belief that width correlates with comfort. The eno is 6'8" wide, if I read the specs correctly. The hennessy's are 60" wide.

QED
    I think lot's of folks share that view. However, my Claytor No Net has always rated near the very top (for me ) in over all comfort, and it is by far my most narrow hammock. Only 48" wide! On top of that, it works best with my Speer Pea Pod compared to any of my wider hammocks.

To complicate matters more, I still also rate my HHs very high for comfort. The DJ XL and my Explorer are both 56" wide. However, the spec says "diag.wide" so I'm not sure if that is the same as plain old width? Probably my most comfortable non-bridge is the HH Safari. But I'll be danged if the site doesn't have it as only 52" wide! (does not say "diag.width") Which is really odd as I'm pretty sure it is the widest hammock I have, (except for maybe a Trellight double).

So my wide ( but also long with a 112" RL ) Safari is probably my most comfortable non-bridge hammock. And it is a real contest between it and a bridge. But other than that, my skinniest hammock is a main contendor, and I am just as likely to choose it for a trip as any other. So go figure I guess. I guess it is complicated! Probably length plays a big role also, and my Claytor NN is rated 10 feet long- no ridge line.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Choose? I'm well into year two, and nowhere close to choosing...............
    Amen!

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by tanker0707 View Post
    I have both an ENO DN and a HH ULB. I had the ENO before I bought the HH (Had to support an up-and-coming NC company when I bought the ENO stuff). I have been playing with both setups (in my basement) and I continue to go back to the ENO for comfort, but I love the weight of the HH. I don't like the setup time of the ENO, but I hate the bottom entry of the HH (I know that I can upgrade it) What a dilemma! So, why do you choose your rig?
    I chose my rig based on comfort! Swapping out the stock ENO suspension for a straps/rings or whoopie sling suspension may take the setup time way down for you. I use straps/rings and it's all of 1 minute to hang my 'mock.

And, how much of a difference in weight are you talking about? Can you lose that weight somewhere else either by leaving another item home or dropping 5lbs from around your middle? :-) For me, comfort is king!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast