Warbonnet BB1.1
    Tarp
    Suprfly/MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    3-Season TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Mid-April in the mountains of New Hampshire

Hey everybody. I'm going to be going on a backpacking trip in NH and I wasn't certain what I ought to look for in the way of under quilts. I'm 6 ft tall an sleep in a WBBB. As they say, I'm not an UL hiker; but I am mindful of how much I load into the big green tick.

Right now I can only afford to go with an UQ. What do you suggest. And do you think that a fleece blanket or something like that would be adequate for the temps? I see these UQs rated to certain temps. Does that mean that they keep you warm by themselves?

I know that these are stupid questions, but I have only done summer hanging so I am a bit of a newbie on this. Thanks for all your advice!

Dave

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    You have quite a few options, it just depends on what is best for you. If it were me I would go with a 3/4 length Summer Phoenix from Hammock Gear. It only weighs 11.7oz and costs $154. Here are some links to the Summer Phoenix and others....

Summer Phoenix
    http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/inde...&products_id=8

Summer Incubator
    http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/inde...&products_id=4

Warbonnet Yeti
    http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/quilts.php

Mt. Washington 3 Short (Scroll Down)
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Mt%20Washington.htm

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti/ 0* NF
    Suspension
    Adj Webbing
    Images
    I would NOT head into the mountains of NH with a light fleece blanket and expect to be warm. I decided I'd hang out in the whites near my family's home in NH and thought it was 70 and sunny during the day it dropped into the 30*s at night and I was Freezing with just a ccf pad and small fleece blanket. worst nights sleep ive ever gotten (or not gotten that is lol) I'd get an underquilt and bring a bag. You can score a kelty cosmic 20* bag for $100

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB1.1
    Tarp
    Suprfly/MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    3-Season TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I ordered the 3-season Incubator UQ by Stormcrow of Hammockgear! I figured the longer length might be the right way to go here. Sort of a better to have and not need than need and not have ideology.

Do you think I'll be ok with just a fleece blanket now or do I need to bundle up? I know... Dumb questions that probably could be answered with the proper application of some common sense, but I have no point of reference here.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing w/ rings
    Personally, I'd plan on temps to get down to at least freezing in NH in April. And even colder if you think you'll be at any sort of elevation (likely if you're hiking). Could be warmer, but I wouldn't plan on it. Btw, I'm super jealous of your 3-season Incubator. Its next on my to-get list. Its also a good choice if you could only afford one quilt since I find I get more warmth from my UQ vs. my TQ.

If I had to guess, I'd say you'd be cold with just a normal fleece blanket on top. Although that does depend a lot upon what you're wearing for sleeping clothes. And whether you're a hot/cold/normal sleeper. And what you're used to. Your info says you're in Florida; are you used to cold weather? That can make a difference.

If you can't get something warmer than a fleece, I'd say wear long underwear (top & bottom), warm socks, a good winter hat. And it can't hurt to put all your other (dry) clothes in the hammock with you for extra insulation, even if you aren't wearing them.

Have a great time on your trip and stay warm!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB1.1
    Tarp
    Suprfly/MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    3-Season TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks for all the advice. I managed to sell some stuff I don't use any more and ordered a Warbonnet 3-season TQ! I believe I'll be in pretty good shape for this outing. I can't wait!
    WBBB 1.1 (Coyote Brown)
    SuperFly Tarp / MacCat Deluxe Tarp (Coyote Brown)
    TQ: Warbonnet 3 Season
    UQ: HammockGear 3 Season Incubator
    Mystery Ranch Kodiak or SweetPea / Gregory Z55

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    Quote Originally Posted by David904 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I managed to sell some stuff I don't use any more and ordered a Warbonnet 3-season TQ! I believe I'll be in pretty good shape for this outing. I can't wait!
    now your talking, don't go to new hampshire under prepared, mt washington has the highest recorded wind speeds on earth and people have frozen to death in the summer.
    now you've got some really nice gear you should have a great trip nh sure is a pretty place

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sorry I missed this thread but you got some good advice and good to see you managed to get yourself a TQ, you are going to need it. It was still snowing here yesterday in the mountains. You may also need snowshoes and/or microspikes depending on where you are going. Snow isn't going to melt here anytime soon.

I just talked to the weather bot and right now:

Tobit, in Bethlehem, New Hampshire at 9:57 PM EDT it was 24.0 degrees F (-4.4 C), with Clear sky and no wind. The humidity was at 92%.

We are still in full winter mode my friend.

Edit: On the summit of Mt. Washington, it is presently 8 degrees and only 19 degrees halfway down at 3300'.
    Last edited by Tobit; 04-06-2011 at 21:08.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Sorry I missed this too. Tobit is right. It is still winter up here. Wife and I climbed one of the local mtns which is at 2800'. We were getting snowed on and had strong winds.

Our property borders the southish end of the nat forest, lots of snow in the woods/yard and today we had no melt on the northern side of the slope.

It certainly could warm up between now and then, and even if it does, you will still be glad you have gotten the UQ and TQ. Bring your thermals as well.

Where do you plan to be hiking up here?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    I posted in the other one-the mountain in NH this year are still full of snow-plan on night temps of low teens, with wind chill. Do NOT go with anything less than a UQ & a 20* bag. I used to work S&R, and we have been called out to rescue "prepared" hikers in April & May, who went out with nothing but fleece or in one case, a wool blanket. Mother nature will quickly point out your shortcomings-dont allow her to do that. Prepare for cold weather.
    Up in Tuckermans Ravine, it will often be ski-able well into May.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast