Tarp
    OES4S
    Insulation
    Mummy+underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Porkies (Michigan U.P.) May 25-30th

Does anyone have any experiences/stories to share about this area?

I'll be backpacking in the Porkies in May with my Fiance. We have a cabin for two of the nights and will be at back country sites the rest of the nights. We plan to hang at the back country sites.

If anyone wants to join us, there are 2 extra bunk spots in each the cabins as well as back country sites right near by each cabin site.

Itinerary: This is a very easy itinerary created to allow as much time as possible exporing waterfalls and generally relaxing at lunch stops and enjoying the outdoors.

Day 1: May 25th
    Park at Lake of the Clouds overlook and hike to Buchshot Cabin, approx 2miles
    Day 2: May 26th
    Backpack approx 7-8 miles to camp near Shining Cloud or Bathtub falls backcountry sites
    Day 3: May 27th
    Backpack to Section 17 Cabin near Greenstone Falls (back country site .25miles before cabin)
    Day 4: May 28th
    Backpack approx 10 miles to trap Falls backcountry site
    Day 5: May 29th
    Backpack 6 miles to Lake of the Clouds
    Camp at LOTC
    Day 6: Drive home.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Went there a couple of years ago and did the lake shore trail, highly recommend it. Def. make time to go to Presque Isle, its beautiful over there.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sounds like a fun trip. I was in the Porkies last fall for three nights. The first night we stayed at the Section 17 cabin. The cabins are nicely outfitted with bunks, table and benches, pots and pans and a wood stove.

The backcountry sites have a fire ring and most have a bear pole to hang your food on.

Porkies Pics

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    it's a great time and your itinerary doesn't look too aggressive but plan for rain about that time. you may want to revisit your first and second day, because you'll be dropping 1700' or so down to your first cabin and then back up a very steep hill. if that doesn't bother you, i'd only take what you need down to the cabin.

shinning falls or bathtube falls has a lot of great places to hang. governments peak trail isn't the friendliest as it's mostly up and down with muddy sections and so it LOC trail. it's all very do-able, don't get me wrong but it's pretty rocky at times.

also (your fiance will love you if you dont' already know about this), when you leave make sure stop at the Union Bay campground - normally they will allow you shower real fast for $2 a person if you have bc permitts. they might give you a little run about but tell them you'll be quick and you smell really bad.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    Undecided
    Suspension
    custom
    Images
    I normally do a trip to the Porkies around that same time and have little rain and generally decent temps. And the bears aren't hitting the campsites looking for food yet. I would suggest getting a couple cheap head nets because the Skeeters and No see ums can be thick up until sunset. The temps can be iffy if your near the big lake if you get an onshore wind be ready for cool temps, the lake acts like a big refridgerator.

The trails will be wet depending on how the spring is going. Cross trail, Correction line trail and the Lake shore trail from Big carp to Buckshot normally have a good amount of standing or running water on the trails. Last time I did Cross trail that time of year it hadn't been cleared of blow downs or reblazed and was tough to follow sometimes, it also goes through a swamp as does Correction line trail. Make sure to talk to the Rangers for current trail conditions and any you may want to avoid.

The mileage looks pretty good with plenty of time to enjoy the sites. I would be sure to get out of camp early when you do Greenstone to Trap falls that hike is tough lots of elevation change.

Make sure you keep your camera handy even in the car, last time I was up we had a Sow with triplet cubs cross the road in front of us, and the camera was in the trunk.

I haven't decided if I'm going to hit the porkies or the SHT this May. That will depend on were I relocate to and the amount of time I can get off. So I may be up in that neck of the woods.

Looks like you have a good trip planned out. I haven't done the cabins yet but was thinking of maybe hitting one in November before the Snows get to crazy. A trip report would be great when you get back.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES4S
    Insulation
    Mummy+underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Thanks for the tips everyone and great pics JerryW, thanks for shaing! bloomgorge, thanks for the shower tip, I'll hold on to that card for a surprise ... Redoleary, due to our relaxed schedule, I was thinking of stopping by that area by vehicle on our way out on Monday.. I will def post a trip report here afterwards.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Here's my trip report from that trip.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Slings/Buckles
    I have a trip for the Porkies planned for the Second weekend in August. It will coincide with the annual Perseid meteor shower, and I hope to be at the top of Summit Peak on Saturday night to take it all in. There is also a cool dayhike involving a B-17 bomber that crashed there in 1944, but you have to do some digging to find its location because it's not publicized.
    "Workin' on mysteries without any clues" - Bob Seger

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun_8574 View Post
    There is also a cool dayhike involving a B-17 bomber that crashed there in 1944, but you have to do some digging to find its location because it's not publicized.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nWNmJnRINE

• + New Posts