WBBB 1.0 Dbl & DIY 1.5 Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben Baby !
    Insulation
    Phoenix's&Burrow's
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I've hanged quite a few times right next to creeks etc.
    Yes the noise is very relaxing but after a while quite loud and sleep can be hard to find.

Now I just use trusty ear plugs when I camp. Isolates all the other noises as well, not sure if that's a good or bad thing but I sleep very well with the plugs in.

I just take them out when I wake first thing in the morning so I can still enjoy the peaceful bush sounds awakening, all after having a great, quite nights sleep.
    I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
    I hear that music when the furnace is on in my house lol.
    Zombie music !

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Noah 9/Superfly
    Insulation
    Human
    Suspension
    D. Buckles/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by pig.slayer View Post
    Now I just use trusty ear plugs when I camp. Isolates all the other noises as well, not sure if that's a good or bad thing but I sleep very well with the plugs in.
    I'm sure the scouts would love it if I used ear plugs at night. In fact, I am surprised they haven't found a reason to present me with some made up certificate of appreciation that includes professional ear plugs. I'm sure it's coming!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Great timing for this post! Just last night while on travel for work I stayed in a hotel and the alarm clock had those 'nature sounds' settings on it, and I drifted off to the song of a babbling brook. And giant mutant frogs. Before I fell asleep all I could think of was how wonderful it would be to span my favorite trout stream nestled into my as-yet-to-arrive Blackbird!

But then...a thought of collapsing into that 50 degree water (due to operator error, of course) had me thinking better of that kind of setup. YIKES! And OUCH.

And now for the PSA...

As a wilderness trail overseer in Shenandoah NP, I sometimes have to remind folks in the backcountry along my trail--which happens to parallel a rather popular trout stream--that they are in a designated wilderness area and are required to camp at least 10 yards away from any stream. I believe hammock camping to be about as close to leave no trace as it gets, but please keep this in mind when choosing your spot IF you happen to be in designated wilderness areas of our NPs. 30 feet is plenty close to hear that water! If you are brave enough to climb trees and hang ten yards ABOVE the stream, I say go for it! And please post pictures.

SNP backcountry guidelines can be found here:

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_regs.htm

And +1 on that temperature difference by said streams up in them thar hills.
    “Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.” -Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Good point about the 10 yards. I think of myself as a good steward of the places I hang above, and this seems logical to me. What is the official rationale behind it (just erosion)?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY quilts
    Suspension
    CCS
    I like to camp next to running water, normally. Last year we were next to a lake and I hung with one end on a tree barely inside the waters edge. The water rose a little overnight so that I was basically half over water. Hearing the lapping all night definitely caused an extra trip out of the hammock during the night. It also raised the difficulty in getting in and out while staying dry.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Good point about the 10 yards. I think of myself as a good steward of the places I hang above, and this seems logical to me. What is the official rationale behind it (just erosion)?
    My guess would be erosion, some, but I think more to reduce the risk of contaminating natural water sources. Or maybe flying piranhas? Perhaps some science-y person could weigh in. There are similar rules regarding proper distances from streams for digging catholes and such. My favorite (?) was picking out disposable diapers left behind in an illegal fire ring right next to a stream. Trifecta! Some folks just aren't down with the stewardship thing, I suppose.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, Owyhee
    Suspension
    Orange Woopies
    I always considered the "X distance" from water sources a two fold measure, 1. Contaminants leaching into water from cat holes, food pits etc. 2. Animal usage; while this is less an issue on streams and rivers, an easy access water source for us, is an easy access water source for animals. A big loud stinky human camping right at a watering hole will keep most animals from visiting what may be their only "easy" access water.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I can take a gurgling stream, but anything louder than that bothers me. I like earplugs too. Sometimes I sleep with my ipod on very low, just barely audible.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I probably would have slept like a baby. I require noise to cancel my ringing ears when I sleep. I always listen to my iPod when I camp.
    Last edited by samiam2714; 03-29-2011 at 18:44.
    I blame all grammatical errors on the iPhone

See my Completed DIY's
    Karo Under Quilt Adventure

DIY Mummy UQ (a how to)

Full Time since Dec '11