Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Eno Single Nest
    Tarp
    Campmor 8' Sq Nyln
    Insulation
    Thermarest 3 Seasn

Hammock Android App -- Ideas?

So i've been thinking incessantly about my first trip of the season coming up and using my new WB Traveler SL 1.7. While I have been waiting for the weather to warm a bit, I've gotten into developing applications for Android. So to fill the next couple weeks before my first trip I would like to build a little android app for hanging.

One problem i've always had was figuring out how high to hang my straps to get the right angle for the hammock. It usually involves throwing up the straps, adjusting their length, realizing i didnt hang them high enough, moving them up, readjusting their length, repeat, repeat, etc. So, I figured i could build a little app that if i input the distance between the trees and length of ridgeline, it will give me the proper height to hang the straps. In all honesty, i probably don't need to make it, but it seems like building an app will be a good distraction while I wait for camping season to begin. So...

1) Does anyone think this is useful?
    2) Is there any other functions/calculators that could be useful in this app? (tweet your location for fun? some knot images? force calculations on the trees/straps?)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

PS: here is the first app i developed (to keep track of your BAC on a night out): https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mootpointhero.bacula

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Search dejoha and check out his various illustrations.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images

level

A level would be a good thing to have in a hammock app.
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Here's the link to Dejoha's post about his Hammock Hang Calculator.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ighlight=Angle
    His is web based so requires a data connection. Similar info in a free standing app would be cool.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

How about a search for fabric stores close by? Just in that off chance you rip or tear something on your hammock. haha
    I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've brought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well, I don't know about the usefulness of the app but you had me at Android development.

I just picked up my first Droid yesterday and I'm chomping at the bit to fire up the SDK. Not sure what I'll write yet but I'm sure I'll write something soon.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    So let's see. Use case #1

I hike, using my "MyHammockApp"'s GPS until it recommends a location that would be suitable, given the preferences I have previously entered. I come to a stop in that spot.

I check the "Orientation" tab to see from which direction the prevailing winds historically come from in this area (GPS, almanac, weather), according to season and temperature. I see I should set my hammock and tarp up oriented as recommended by the app, with the knowledge that a north-south setup in this particular valley in the breezy early Spring is best... I check the app again for the weather forecast, to reaffirm. I find two trees in the proper orientation. I mark one tree on the app and walk to the other tree. The application tells me that the trees are 12 feet apart. I hang my hammock and tarp according to my weight and the distance and with the proper recommended angles, the application tells me that it's level.

I lay down for a few hours to relax, but something's not right. I'm starting to feel a lot of stress because I haven't been able to so much as look up from this little screen for hours. The application notices my higher blood pressure and rising temperature. It tells me to remain calm, asks me if I'd like to play a game, and begins to play my favorite soothing music (according to my preferences), but I somehow manage to get up and with great effort I ignore its urgent reminders and alerts and warnings and electrical shocks until I barely (barely) make it over to the small stream nearby. With one last great herculean effort I throw the phone like a stone into the stream with all my might. It comes to a rest at the bottom of the stream. It's little lights blinking frantically at the bottom in the near-darkness. I turn and leave.

I am strangely calm. I look up into the clear sky above. I hear the gentle breeze in the trees. I feel it cool on my skin. A coyote yips in the distance, and an owl hoots. The moon is rising, just visible at the horizon.

I feel myself slowly beginning to relax, the stress that has been building inside all day slowly disappears...

Ok, sorry, got a bit carried away there.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Lol, nice Patrick, but yeah while useful having apps do everything takes alot of the fun/relaxing out of it. My phone is turned off 95% of the time I'm out if its even on me.

Hammock
    Eno Single Nest
    Tarp
    Campmor 8' Sq Nyln
    Insulation
    Thermarest 3 Seasn

usefulness, HA!

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    Well, I don't know about the usefulness of the app but you had me at Android development.

I just picked up my first Droid yesterday and I'm chomping at the bit to fire up the SDK. Not sure what I'll write yet but I'm sure I'll write something soon.
    Agreed on the actual usefulness of the app (let alone if i would even think to use it when i start hanging my hammock. Really, I'm just looking for an idea that fits my skill level. Best of luck with your future dev, if you have any questions, PM me and I'll provide any help that i can.

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Mancat View Post
    A level would be a good thing to have in a hammock app.
    Android already has several level apps, for example this one will even give you the angle https://market.android.com/details?i...drogames.level

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast