It started with trying to figure a way to protect the down underquilt that I had so MUCH time and $ invested in. Then, I got to reading some posts about hammock socks and how they can help with a little bit of warmth and wind block. And, I made a segmented pad extender, but I did not like having all that mess in the hammock with me even though it seemed to really work well otherwise. And, some folk on this forum go nuts over manufacturers that have a double bottom or a pocket for stuffing stuff. Finally, where I'm from, bugs are a big problem.
The 4-in-1 is made of 1.1 oz ripstop. The basic bottom is only about 3 ounces.
I prefer to lay in my hammock on a diagonal, but I did not want to have to worry about head end, foot end, left side, right side, yadda, yadda, yadda. Therefore it is completely symetrical which means maybe its bigger than a minimalist would prefer, but, hey its what I want. I laid in the hammock and got my daughter to mark what I wanted, then little by little whittled it down to what you see here. Its basically an oblong piece, narrow on the ends, wide in the middle. Almost an inverse cat curve.
I roll hemed the length, and made a channel for a shock cord on the ends. Then on each side along the length I "sewed in" a lightweight cord. Every 4 inches along the cord is a bar stitch with the cord loose between these stitches. One long paracord is tied to each end. Before getting in the hammock lace up a foot or so on each end. After getting in the hammock lace up the rest. Takes a moment, but its really simple, light weight, slips free easily (for those emergency trips ), and no snag.
You can use this: 1) without anything else in mild climes as a wind block, dew barrier, 2) under a quilt to protect it from spray and mud, 3) as a place to hold a SPE with or without a quilt, and 4) bottom for bugs - see next paragraph.
1.1 ripstop is 1.1 oz per sq yd. The $1/yard camo mosquito netting I snagged is probably closer to 2.x oz per sq yard, maybe even 3. Therefore, use as little of the heavy stuff where it counts, and use the light stuff where it doesn't. I sewed 4 inch no-snag velcro, aka omnitape, strips in 4 places on each side along the bottom piece and companion pieces on the bug net. On each end, on each side, one piece close to the very end and one piece ~18" down. In the middle I sewed grosgrain tie down loops on the bug net. Tie a piece of shock cord to one side, put a mini biner on the end of the shock cord on the other end, and reach under you to clip it after you climb in the hammock. The velcro is NOT, repeat, NOT sewed to the edge of the bug net fabric. It is several inches up. This allows the fabric to drape below the edge of the hammock, but the velcro holds it in place against any wind, and away from your face, and the shock cord in the middle helps to "seal it" along the length.
More pix are in my gallery. I thought I could add pix one at a time here, but maybe not....