Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: KC Area Hang

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 Dbl Layer
    Tarp
    WB Edge or DIY
    Insulation
    HG 20* UQ + DIY TQ
    Is everyone heading out Friday? I may be able to make it out Friday night, but it would be after work, and in the evening.

In case I head out Saturday - if I don't see you guys at the trail head I'll just follow the trail and either find your new camp or find you guys have done the whole loop and are back at the trail head camp.

Correct?

Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    My buddy and I both have to work on Friday and both will get off at 5:00 most likely. I live in KC, but he lives in Columbia. PLUS, it's another 1.5 hours from my house. So it's looking like it could be 9 or 10 before we make it out there on Friday night. I hope we don't bother you guys setting up.

WebsterJ, I would like to know as well. I would also like to know what kind of trail system is out there. If and when I get the information I will post it on www.baxpax.org with all the other trail system information I have compiled. Any of you are also welcome to contribute to baxpax.org. After the hang we will be posting pictures to baxpax as well.
    JBizzle
    http://baxpax.org

Missouri Backpacking and Hiking

I should be there by 2 -- since I've never set up a camping hammock, i figure I'll need all the daylight (and help) I can get.
    VERY open to suggestions, tips, or hints for hanging setup, since I have none so far.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I should be there after 2. I work in Lenexa and get off at 1:30 so I'll pack the truck Thursday night and just drive out from work.

Don't worry about being a newbie at setting up hammock. It ain't rocket science. You get quicker at setting up but it's kinda like tying shoes. I don't know too many people that do it better than you or I do.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by 1066vik View Post
    I should be there by 2 -- since I've never set up a camping hammock, i figure I'll need all the daylight (and help) I can get.
    VERY open to suggestions, tips, or hints for hanging setup, since I have none so far.
    Just to double check...what are you using for top and bottom insulation?

It's supposed to get down to the lower 20s out there both nights, so you'll want to make sure you've got good insulation both above and below you.

Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    I've created a site for the Woodridge Primitive Area and also created a poll to see who is officially going to the hang this Friday the 13th - 15th.
    http://woodridge.baxpax.org/

As I said before, pictures from this hang will go up on the site afterwords.

Looking forward to meeting all of you. See you there.
    JBizzle

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Don't know about him, I was looking at mid 30's last I looked so it might be interesting for me. I've got a WBBB with CCF pad, Sleeping 20 Degree sleeping bag with thermal blanket if I have to and I was thinking of adding my carharts and several layers of cloathing. But I'm just staying over Friday night so I won't be packing it too far from the truck. I'll have a underquilt for it next year. I've been in the lower 40's upper 30's with the CCF pad and insulated blanket. I'm interested in seeing how cold I can go.

But I like my toes too. What are you packing 1066?

I have an old expedition weight down bag and some spare blankets that live in the truck. will likely stop and pick up a blue foam pad at wally world as well. will definitely be packing plenty of insulation just in case. wool socks, wicking base layer, sweats to sleep in. will bring at least one spare sleeping bag to unzip and use as a top quilt if it's needed.
    looking for something to use as hanging straps since I've been told my ratchet straps are likely to stretch too much.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I've heard that a lot of folks use some of the cheap ratchet straps with some success. I'd say give them a try if you've got nothing else...not likely to have time to replace them before Friday at this point anyway. Just try to get out there with plenty of time to get setup and spend some time in your hammock before you go to bed, to have time to adjust if they do stretch.

There might be a few extra straps floating around out there too...sometimes folks bring extra gear just in case.

I'd also definitely suggest having a pad with you if you don't have something to use as an underquilt.

Better to have it and leave it in the truck if you don't needed rather than get out there and be miserable because you forgot something.

Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by 1066vik View Post
    I have an old expedition weight down bag and some spare blankets that live in the truck. will likely stop and pick up a blue foam pad at wally world as well. will definitely be packing plenty of insulation just in case. wool socks, wicking base layer, sweats to sleep in. will bring at least one spare sleeping bag to unzip and use as a top quilt if it's needed.
    looking for something to use as hanging straps since I've been told my ratchet straps are likely to stretch too much.
    1066vik, You definitely need a pad without an underquilt. A pad will make a huge difference. When you're in your down sleeping bag inside the hammock, all the down under you will be compressed and you'll be left with the thickness of your hammock keeping you warm. You can get chilly in 60 degrees without a pad or underquilt. I used a pad for awhile before purchasing an underquilt and it does work. You might have to tuck another piece of foam or a jacket or something next to your shoulders as well, but you should be fine.

What kind of hammock are you using? If it has end channels, you might be able to swap out with some whoopie slings within a few minutes if the ratcheting straps don't end up working for you. I've used some pretty cheap polyester tie-down straps before and they did stretch a little but held (150lbs) fine. What tarp are you using? Just trying to get an idea of your setup so I can be prepared to help you, if you want it, when I get there.

So are you using ring buckles and straps for your suspension or were you referring to the straps for use as your tree hungers? Let me know so we can help, if you want it, so we all have an awesome time out there.
    JBizzle

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast