Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    I just read that you got a trek light for x-mas. That appears to have end channels like the Grand Trunk Hammocks. I would recommend getting some lightweight climbing grade carabiners to use instead of the s-hooks that come with your hammock. ACE hardware has some carabiners that will probably hold your weight, but they aren't light. If you had 4 carabiners it would probably help you. I'm only using 2, but for ease of possibly changing out some stuff in the field, 4 would make things alot quicker for your first time.
    JBizzle
    http://baxpax.org

Missouri Backpacking and Hiking

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Nice thing about it. Friday night the cars aren't going to be too far in the distance if it all goes to pot. Lawrence's closest Walmart is not too far away either, unfortunately according to their website they are not a 24 hour a day store. They are closed from 11:59 PM to 12:00 AM. Oh well, after you froze it off in the hammock it can't wait outside in the car for 1 more minute.

Walmart Supercenter
    550 Congressional Drive, Lawrence, KS 66049
    (785) 841-1700 ‎
    Last edited by MrClean417; 01-11-2012 at 12:05.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by JBizzle View Post
    I just read that you got a trek light for x-mas. That appears to have end channels like the Grand Trunk Hammocks. I would recommend getting some lightweight climbing grade carabiners to use instead of the s-hooks that come with your hammock. ACE hardware has some carabiners that will probably hold your weight, but they aren't light. If you had 4 carabiners it would probably help you. I'm only using 2, but for ease of possibly changing out some stuff in the field, 4 would make things alot quicker for your first time.
    Backwoods down at 135th and Metcalf carries climbing grade equipment as well. You can pick up some lighter, climbing rated carabiners and such there that you KNOW will support your weight with little effort.

I don't recall if it was mentioned, but you will almost certainly want a tarp of some kind over you as well. It doesn't look like it's going to rain/snow or even be all that windy, but having a tarp strung over you can help trap heat in as well.

As mentioned earlier...just going with the very cheap Wal-Mart versions of most of this stuff will work. They might be a bit heavier/noisier, but they have the advantage of being very iniexpensive.

yup - I have a 10x10 tarp from sportsman's guide.
    will check out ****'s sporting goods and see what they have for carabiners, if nothing reasonable there, then Ace/true value or Wally World.
    Since this is my first hang, and we're parking pretty near the campsite, I'm not particularly worried about weight. (I've never been a UL camper anyway)
    I was not aware of the backwoods at 135 & Metcalf -- that'll be on my list of places to visit next Wednesday when I'm working in KC instead of Topeka

thanks for the suggestions & advice!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    ****'s doesn't carry climbing equipment or gear rated to be used to support people.

Pretty much the only place in town that does carry gear rated to do this is Backwoods, or Dynamic Earth just up the street from them. None of the other Sporting Goods stores carry anything rated for that, nor will the stuff you buy at a hardware store be "support rated" either.

Don't get me wrong...it might hold, but you've got to remember that things made for climbing have been much more strenuously tested and will be MUCH safer to use for this sort of application than using something you got for cheap at Tru-Value. Just saying...gotta be cautious and aware of the risks.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Camo Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Thermarest pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well Im going to have to leave Saturday afternoon. So I will try to be there as early as possible friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    ****'s doesn't carry climbing equipment or gear rated to be used to support people.

Pretty much the only place in town that does carry gear rated to do this is Backwoods, or Dynamic Earth just up the street from them. None of the other Sporting Goods stores carry anything rated for that, nor will the stuff you buy at a hardware store be "support rated" either.

Don't get me wrong...it might hold, but you've got to remember that things made for climbing have been much more strenuously tested and will be MUCH safer to use for this sort of application than using something you got for cheap at Tru-Value. Just saying...gotta be cautious and aware of the risks.
    thanks for the tip on ****'s -- I guess I'll check the local camping & surplus store then -- I'm not in KC so Backwoods is not an option this week.

Hammock
    HH/ WBRR
    Tarp
    OES / Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UG
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    If you dont find any I'll have a couple proper carabiners you can use.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    It's Wednesday, Brandon at Warbonnet or Trail gear, any of the suppliers probably have some that they can overnight, if you do it now. But afterwards, if you need to order some, they have them and can send them to you before your next hang. If you look at Carabiners at hardware or walmart, remember they must be load bearing. They will have some kind of physical latch. Walmarts generally just have a piece of aluminum that comes up and keeps whatever from slipping back up, its not integral.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    WHOOT!!

Just a few more days now. Sounds like the majority of folks are gonna be out there sometime Friday afternoon.

Weasel and I will try to be onsite by around 2pm or so if possible. Weather looking now like it's gonna be cold and clear...highs in the 30s, lows in the 20s.

DO NOT FORGET...BRING WATER FOR THE TIME YOU PLAN ON BEING THERE. WATER ONSITE WILL BE SHUT OFF THIS TIME OF YEAR

Also...the "official" policy of the park is no alchohol. My thought is that if they can't see it, it ain't there. So if someone 'forgets' this rule...keep it discreet.

There's no set itinerary for this run...figured we'd all meet up Friday and camp at the trailhead, and then sort out what we wanna do on Saturday from there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast