HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner

KC Area Hang

My son and I did our first hang about two weeks ago, and found a place that would be a decent area for a group hang near Lawrence, KS.

The area I'm talking about is free, I believe there are a couple of miles of trails to hike, and they do allow hammock camping.

I'm just curious if there'd be enough interest to try to set something up? Let me know...if we get a few people, I can try to orchestrate it.

If we've got any 'experienced' folks that would be interested in coming along to teach those of us who've just got started, that would be awesome!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    I would be there unless there was a conflict. It would be great to have some local hangs.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I'd be interested BUT I'm in the middle of house buying, refurb and moving of my daughter and moving my son AND prep for SPADfest in June and a run to Oshkosh at the end of July.

I'm busy. But I'd be interested in stopping by. Where near Lawrence are you looking?

I grew up in Topeka, lived a hole 10 years in Wichita from 1984 to 1985 and went to college in Salina. I know of a hiking trail around Wilson Resevoir BUT there's not a lot of trees. Theres a bunch of Windmills though.

I did order a BlackBird last week. That means I'll have a Blackbird, uhhhh, what else do I need?

Really more of a car camper but I like to put 2 or 3 miles in on the treadmill every day. Makes those walking sojourns so much easier.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Depending on timing; I'd be interested. I'm curious to see the location you found. Right now the closest I can hang is Indian Caves SP in NE -- about 2-1/2 hours drive from my house.
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Looking to go up there too. I've got a buddy that lives in Omaha and we're doing the bike trip to Oshkosh. What part of the park do you hang in? And if we go do you want me to notify ya?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    We camped out at the Woodridge Public Use Area, on the west side of Clinton Lake.

I'd never heard of it, but my son's friends were cub scouts, and they used this area both for scouting and their families camp there a good bit during the spring/summer.

I spoke with a park ranger before we went out, and verified with him that there was no issue with 'hanging', as long as tree straps are used.

We didn't get any chance to explore the trails, but we did go about a 1/3rd of a mile into a campsite away from the entrance.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    Looking to go up there too. I've got a buddy that lives in Omaha and we're doing the bike trip to Oshkosh. What part of the park do you hang in? And if we go do you want me to notify ya?
    Its a great park; but it does tend to get crowded. So I usually save it for the off season (Labor Day until Memorial Day). There is a nominal fee to camp there; I can't remember exactly how much it is.

There are established campsites, many of which have trees appropriate for hanging. I usually backpack the trails and just hang where I feel like it. Its the only trail in the Midwest I'm aware of that actually has AT-style Adirondack huts along the trail!

The trails are relatively short; but make up for it with lots of elevation gain. Really nice views too along the Missouri River.

Give me a holler it you'd like some company up there some time!
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Count me in if there's anyone else from the Omaha area going

<--- Car-less. that'd be one heckuva bike ride.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 Dbl Layer
    Tarp
    WB Edge or DIY
    Insulation
    HG 20* UQ + DIY TQ
    Bump for a Kansas City area hang. Perry Lake Trail or Indian Cave State Park would be cool. If it happens, count me in.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I was thinking about getting one together next spring when the temperatures come up at Indian Caves state park. I don't have an underquilt and presently don't have any time. But as far as winter camping goes, if the temps are 50 or below I probably better not ****** to anything. Frankly, my schedule cleared up a couple weeks ago one weekend after decent weather would have been fine. Oh well, house projects keeping me busy anyways.

Well THERES an interesting edit? I used a word that means "I'll plan on being there" starts with c and and rhymes with comet. Websters says I spelled it right but it's edited out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast