Insulation
    warm stuff

Dolly Sods Trip 5/4-5/6

Wow, is all I can say really...
    Crankybear and I drove out friday and arrived on FR80 at about 11pm. It started to rain and we opted to sleep in the truck instead of night hiking in to meet up with everyone. Saturday morning we got on the trail and hiked the 2.5 miles and met up with USMC, WV, Luke, Ebola, Ferret, and some others that I didn't see again and can't remember their names...lol

We hung out for about an hour and then hiked with USMC, Luke, and Ebola to the next site. I think USMC said is was like 7.6 miles. The water crossings were plentiful and refreshingly COLD on the toes, and it was not an easy hike but I had a good time. There was a section towards the end of that where I did become pretty miserable but only because it had started to down pour on us... I am a fair weather hiker and really don't like being cold and wet...

We made it to the site and Crankybear put up my tarp and helped me get my hammock up so that I could get dry and warm up. I had a nice peaceful night chatting with others and relaxing...

Sunday morning we got up and were packed and on the trail by 8:30am. It was a pretty quick and relatively easy hike out and since everything was already soaked I didn't care what water I was standing/hiking in which made it a bit easier than trying to avoid all of the water on the trail.

I did get some pictures before the rain started so I will post those.

I have to say...
    1. Crankybear is my fav person to hike with and I wouldn't have made it without him.
    2. I learned A LOT this trip! what to carry, what not to carry.
    3. My dog is my other fav hiking companion and there isn't a hill we can't climb (when he is pulling me up it...lol)

Thank you to everyone else who was out there...
    USMC, Luke, and Ebola... thanks for understanding and being awesome, and for leading us on a gorgeous hike.

well... after many attempts i can not load up my pictures... something about missing security token... will work on it and see if i cant get them up soon.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once. Jennifer Unlimited
    Health food may be good for the conscience, but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better. -- Robert Redford

http://daydreamingmisadventurer.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Adia View Post
    well... after many attempts i can not load up my pictures... something about missing security token... will work on it and see if i cant get them up soon.
    Try down-sizing the pics. The forum only accepts 1280x1024 or smaller.

Glad you had a good hike.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Adia, thanks for the report. Sounds like you got a real workout at the Sods. Hiking is always better when you have such great hiking partners. Hope to see you at a hang real soon.

So what are you not going to carry? There another thread that was just started on this topic! You ,ay want to add to the discussion there.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 05-07-2012 at 17:36.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    HH ULEA w/2QZQ
    Tarp
    OES 12X10 SpinnUL
    Insulation
    DIY momen/PL TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for reporting. I was one of the others you meet Saturday morning. We set up camp on the oposite side of the creek Saturday evening. We headed out about 20 minutes after your group left on Sunday. Had a great time, and appreciated meeting yawl...
    Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.
    Thomas Jefferson

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Sounds like an awesome trip wish I could of joined you guys maby next year. However Adia I got a question for ya and a serious one at that. Whats the secret to getting Cranky Bear to set up my tarp and hammock when we hike together . Hope to see some pics soon.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    It was great hiking with you guys! You didn't look too pleased when the rain hit 20 minutes out from the campsite Max took it in stride though.

I posted up the trip details and GPS files on the other thread, located here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=52311

You officially hiked 10.32 miles on Saturday, with 982 feet of elevation gain overall.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Insulation
    warm stuff
    That silly dog kept trying to hide under my pack against my legs while we were finishing up that last bit in the rain...lol.
    Wow... 10.32 miles in one day... longest I have done by far...
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once. Jennifer Unlimited
    Health food may be good for the conscience, but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better. -- Robert Redford

http://daydreamingmisadventurer.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    However Adia I got a question for ya and a serious one at that. Whats the secret to getting Cranky Bear to set up my tarp and hammock when we hike together .
    Ohhhhh you know ....
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts