Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an

peninsula trail

peninsula trail
    trail was 4.8 miles out and 4.8 back. slight elevation changes and great views. dont know the tree types but it was gorgeousl with alot campsites when get to the lake, it is not required you use them. hoosir rules apply 200 ft from water-trail and pack in and out..overall a really nice trail, with it being right after the storm, and it is used with horses the trail was pretty muddy and little ruff. all in all for my first hang and second hike it was great!

It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images
    Nothing like gettin out there, best way to learn! To answer a few questions: I keep my pack below the Hammock if I am expecting rain. Pack weight.... best advice is anything you didn't use this time leave behind next time (except essentials such as first aid). Concerning your ridge line.. 20 ft is a large span, 12-15 ft is probably best but not always available. just keep in mind the further the trees are apart the higher your tree straps will have to be. When it comes right down to it....if it's comfortable your doin good! did you hike the Sycamore loop??? you left me hangin' Hang Easy!

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    I’ve said that a few times; “My pack weighs more this time than it did last time, I don’t know how that happened” lol Nice green forest and the camp site next to that big lake was a good choice for a first, second, OR third hang! Very nice! Your set up looks pretty good to me. There are some set up videos on the Warbonnet website that might have a tip or two you can use. http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/setup.php I can never get the ridge line the right tension either, I don’t worry about it too much (I try to get it close). I leave my water bottles out on the ground and hang my pack from the ridge line on the head end of the hammock. I used to just leave it on the ground under my hammock, but a rat eat and damaged my pack once, so I don’t do that anymore. I hang my shoes at the foot end of the hammock. You should be pretty happy with your first hang! Thanks for the video, you should be pretty happy with that too!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Looks like it was a lot of fun!

Don't sweat your pack weight; my first long solo hike was in the same range. You'll quickly figure out what you need and what you don't out there, and that'll drop weight just fine. Figure out what you didn't use this time (not including emergency gear and first aid kit), and try leaving it at home next time. If you miss what you left home, add it back. If not, you probably didn't need it on the trail in the first place.

As far as the ridgeline being too taut, I've got an Hennessy and can't really comment on the Blackbird. However, my experience has led me to believe that as long as it's comfortable for you, you're probably okay. I find that if I hang the hammock too tight, I wind up with shoulder squeeze and a night of fighting to sleep if I'm not exhausted. So, I try to find trees that are just wider apart than my tarp is long. If my tarp fits, and doesn't have more than a foot or two on either end (the tarp is 12' long), I've got a winner. It lets me sleep with the ridgeline fairly slack.

As to the pack, I've done just about everything with it. These days, I empty it and then hang it from my foot-end suspension, underneath the tarp. It's mostly waterproof, so even if it does get sprayed a bit, it's not going to hurt the pack.

If you have a groundsheet (and you do), though, it might work just as well to put it underneath the hammock. I've done that several times with my poncho as a groundsheet. The reason I stopped is because I use my poncho as an improv Grizz Beak from time to time, and that prevents it from being used as a groundsheet.

Hope it helps!

• + New Posts