Images

Anyone want to go to Red River Gorge Wed/Thrus Jan 17-18

I just saw I have Wednessday and Thrusday off this week. Anyone want to go to Red River Gorge in KY for an overnight?

Sorry for the short notice, I just got my schedule tonight.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I really wish I could go with you but I have some stuff going on at work that won't allow me to make it.

Do you have any particular trail/hikes in mind? If not, I can suggest a good spot. It's a short hike, about 2 miles one way. Let me know if you want directions.

Images
    That's cool. I figured no one could make it with short notice.

Are there any good trails that I could start Wednessday morning and finish Friday Morning. I do not have to work until 5pm Friday.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    If you are going for an extended hike I would look at Swift Creek trail --->Rough Trail. This will also give access to the Koomer Ridge trail area. You can use the Koomer Rige trail to the Sheltowee Trace as well as several other trails.

I personally like the Koomer Ridge trail because there is a nice hiker parking area at the Koomer Ridge campground and it gives you access to several trails with beautiful views and scenery.

One of my favorite spots is Buck Trail. It's a moderatly hard trail, basically going straight down from Koomer Ridge and the straight back up to the Sheltowee Trace, loosing 400 ft of elevation in about .75 of a mile and then regaining the 400 ft. going back up to the Sheltowee. The trail elevation looks like a big "V". At the bottom of Buck Trail (coming from the Koomer Ridge Trail) is a beautiful spot where 2 streams merge into one. There is a fire ring there and some stone benches with 2 trees just perfect for hanging your hammock. The spot is nestled between the spot where the 2 streams come together for you will have the sound of running water and steep rock faces to keep you company. It awesome and one of my favorite spots in the Gorge.

If you do decide to use this camp spot on Buck Trail remember that it colder in that valley than on the ridge and the sun sets earlier and rises later in that valley. There is normally extra firewood at the campsite but it's a little damp so I would suggest finding some really dry wood on the way down to get a fire going.

I would also check out Natural Bridge while you are there. You can't camp around the immediate Natural Bridge area , but it's an easy, quick hike to the top and back down.

BTW Here's a trail map of the RRG.

Images
    Thanks, that looks like a good loop. I could start at the Koomer Ridge campground. Do the Rough Trail to the Grey's arch area the first day. Are there any good sites in that area? Then camp in Buck trail site the second night. That would leave a short hike out in the morning.

I had my setup into the teens without any problems. I was warm enough that I think I could get at least 15 degrees lower without any problems. Lower than that I can add my insulated jacket and raingear.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    BTW, here's a link for a really hi-res topo map for the Koomer Ridge area.

http://www.sheltoweetrace.com/maps/23.pdf

Images
    I just got back. I definitly need to go back for another trip. I decided to cut it a night short after I spent 12 hours in the hammock (not always a good thing) the first night and and 3 other hours in camp. I made my loop a little too short. I would have ended up spending even longer the second night. Next time I either need to hike up until almost dark and just make a site work, or go with a group.

Great place though. At only 2.5+ from Cincy I am going to try to go back soon.

yikes 12 hrs in a hammock. what trails did you do

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    What was your route?

Images
    I parked at the Kroomer campgrounds, hiked over to Grey's arch using the rough trail, then back using the Buck Trail. I camped on a ridge about 2 miles from the arch the first night.

That's what I get though for not really planning out my routes. I think that is a good overnight loop, but I should have planned on something longer. I thought about backtracking some or finding a side trail, but it came back to spending 7pm to 7 or 8 am in the hammock. Added to the 2 or 3 hours in camp.

It is pretty nice down there. Let me know when you guys have a weekend free in Feb. As long as I have 2 weeks notice, I can get it off of work.

• + New Posts