Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB

Utah newbie

Hi all,
    I'm new to the hammock scene. Bought a Trek Light Double on a whim at an outdoor expo last fall. I'm a whitewater rafter and I've been using the hammock primarily for napping in camp. Last month I slept in the hammock the last two nights of a Main Salmon river trip. Very comfy, but cold, even with temps in the 50s. Thanks to the forum I now know about how to stay warm in a hammock.
    I started using a roll-a-cot / thermarest combo about 6 years ago, and it was a huge step up in comfort on the river. However, I still toss & turn a bit, and never can get totally comfy on my back. I try not to pitch my tent whenever possible, prefer sleeping under the stars. I think hammock sleeping with a tarp may be a good thing for me. Quicker and easier to take down & pack each morning? We'll see. I'm planning on taking the hammock set-up on an eight day MIddle Fork Salmon river trip in two weeks. I'll bring my tent / cot as a back-up. The beauty of rafting is that you can carry a lot of gear for comfort (chairs, tables, kitchens, dutch ovens, etc.).
    Questions I have .....
    1. What purpose does a ridgeline serve and can I do without one?
    2. I own two Kelty tarps, 9X9 and 12X 12. Will the 9X9 be enough coverage for my hammock?
    Thanks for all the great info on this forum.
    KJ

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The ridgeline's main purpose is to set the sag of the hammock the same, every time. Very handy, but by no means is it required. Enough practice setting-up and you'll know what it needs to look like and how to get it to look that way. You can already read water currents, eye-balling a hammock will be a breeze.

9x9 is gobs plenty of coverage. A 12x12 is like a studio apartment.

Welcome to the Forums!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm new to the hammock scene. Bought a Trek Light Double on a whim at an outdoor expo last fall. I'm a whitewater rafter and I've been using the hammock primarily for napping in camp. Last month I slept in the hammock the last two nights of a Main Salmon river trip. Very comfy, but cold, even with temps in the 50s. Thanks to the forum I now know about how to stay warm in a hammock.
    I started using a roll-a-cot / thermarest combo about 6 years ago, and it was a huge step up in comfort on the river. However, I still toss & turn a bit, and never can get totally comfy on my back. I try not to pitch my tent whenever possible, prefer sleeping under the stars. I think hammock sleeping with a tarp may be a good thing for me. Quicker and easier to take down & pack each morning? We'll see. I'm planning on taking the hammock set-up on an eight day MIddle Fork Salmon river trip in two weeks. I'll bring my tent / cot as a back-up. The beauty of rafting is that you can carry a lot of gear for comfort (chairs, tables, kitchens, dutch ovens, etc.).
    Questions I have .....
    1. What purpose does a ridgeline serve and can I do without one?
    2. I own two Kelty tarps, 9X9 and 12X 12. Will the 9X9 be enough coverage for my hammock?
    Thanks for all the great info on this forum.
    KJ
    Hey there .......
    1) The ridgeline helps give you a consistent hang with your choice of sag... the tightness or sagginess of the hammock. I like a lot of sag to get on a good diagonal and a fairly flat lay. Also you can hang stuff from it.
    You do not need one though.
    2) Either will work, I'd go 9x9 .... just make sure the ends of the tarp cover the ends of your hammock.
    I did a series of videos for new hammock enthusiasts ..... may give you some ideas and answer some queries......Hammock How-To For Noobs
    Have a terrific trip.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    SupperFly
    Suspension
    Whoopie

bug net

The ridgeline is what keeps the bug net of your face.If you ever leave the great
    North West hang in the South you'll think thats a great thing.....lol

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to the forums. There is ton of good information here.
    Terry

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I was born & raised in Florida so I'm well acquainted with skeeters. We don't have them much here in Utah and the rivers I run are relatively bug-free. With the exception of Desolation Canyon in late May/early June. Then the skeeters are terrible. I might opt for a bug net for that trip.
    Many of the rivers I run don't have a ton of large trees. The Utah rivers have cottonwoods which would work fine, but the smaller juniper & pinyon pines might not be big enough. I have this thingie called an "Oars Up" that I use sometimes with my solar shower. It's three rings welded together that you stick your three oars in to make a giant tripod. I'll have to set it up in the backyard to see if it would work with the hammock. I need to perfect my hammock hanging skills. Right now I sometimes have it too high or too low, which makes getting out of it a bit tricky, especially with 50 year old knees. I've read that it should be at chair height, is that correct? Guess that's were the ridgeline comes in handy.
    I'll report back on my hanging success after my Middle Fork trip.
    KJ

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultra Light
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10
    Insulation
    Army Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    Webbing + Whoopies
    From my experience with Utah weather, for a majority of the time you may not even need a tarp. It's just another thing that gets in the way of star viewing!
    “the earth does not belong to man, man belongs to the earth" - Chief Seattle

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WBB Superfly
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    Images
    Welcome to the forum, hope you find the answers you are looking for.
    Hammocker Prayer - "Don't every let my wife sell my hammock equipment for what I told her I paid for it."

Hammock
    DutchWare 11ft Netless
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    20° Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
    From my experience with Utah weather, for a majority of the time you may not even need a tarp. It's just another thing that gets in the way of star viewing!
    I have to completely agree with that! There's nothing like the dry Utah weather and the bright stars in the summer. It's these blasted springs that can be annoying... snow and hard frost in the morning, 50º in the afternoon, 70º tomorrow, and then back to snow.
    I'm out... | website

• + New Posts