Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains

Removable ridge line?

Okay I am a total newb but have been viewing the posts here for a while and you have successfully introduced me to my new obsession....so thanks for that.

Here's my thought.....I like the idea of a structural ridgeline for setting the sag the same each time but don't like the thought of the line so close to my face etc. So, what about a removable ridgeline made with masons line and a couple of S biners? The reason I would use masons line? So I could attach one of those little line levels used when pouring cement or building a deck. Not only could you set the sag right each time but could also be sure your setup is level.

If this is old news, please forgive me. But consider us even because shame on all of you for feeding my addiction....I have more straps, cords, ropes, biners, knot bones, etc strung up around the house you'd think a giant spider moved in with us.

Seriously, love the forum, thanks for all the info hope to see you hanging around.

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Hi Campdavid, if it were me, I'd go with something other than mason's line as there can be quite a load on it especially if hanging at less than the recommended 30 degrees. Same with the s-biners. Unless they are the really big ones they only have a weight rating of like 10 to 20 pounds. Stronger line with a loops tied/spliced in each end could be looped over the suspension on the end yet would be removable if need be. Just my 2 cents worth...

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeBait View Post
    Hi Campdavid, if it were me, I'd go with something other than mason's line as there can be quite a load on it especially if hanging at less than the recommended 30 degrees. Same with the s-biners. Unless they are the really big ones they only have a weight rating of like 10 to 20 pounds. Stronger line with a loops tied/spliced in each end could be looped over the suspension on the end yet would be removable if need be. Just my 2 cents worth...
    Thanks for the feedback but my thought would be to use the ridge line just to set the sag and level, then simply remove it. If those are both set then it seems to me that the only thing the line does is act as a place to hang stuff. That is unless I have totally misunderstood the purpose of the ridge line.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    The ridgeline maintains the sag. Once you remove it, the sag will change, becoming dependent on the angle of the suspension.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Thermarest & SPE
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    If you remove the ridge line the angle will change. For a structural ridge line something stonger than mason line is needed.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    If you use the SRL merely as a yardstick then your idea could work but the sag will not be as consistent as when the SRL has some tension on it. As the others have mentioned, a stronger line would be beneficial especially if you cannot get an optimal angle on your suspension.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    And you'll need something to support the bugnet.
    Soft shackles can be used to make the ridgeline removable. Or a simple girth hitch or larkshead on the suspension or fabric bundles, make the ridge easily optional. Or a truckers hich can work on a ridgeline. As said, masons line will not support the weight and you encounter some stretch issues. Or breakage.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Hey Campdavid,
    I have exactly the setup you are talking about, except as the others have already mentioned you would probably want to use beefier cordage and some biners that would be able to withstand the forces applied to the Structural Ridge Line.

My removable/adjustable structural ridge line consists of two continuois loops, with one each larksheaded to either end of the hammock, and two Dutch biners, with one at each end through the larksheaded loop, and for the structural ridge line itself, I use an adjustable ridge line, which is actually an extra long Whoopie sling.

The Dutch biners are small and rated to 1000lbs each, the Whoopie Sling is constructed from either 1/8th or 7/64th Amsteel, which is more than strong enough do the job (I can't remember the tensile strength right now).

I purchased the Dutch biners from JacksRBetter, and the continuios loops and extra long Whoope Sling from www.whoopieslings.com .

It is now possible to easily remove the ASRL completely, or because of the extra length you can simply loosen it and let it hang to the side of the hammock and use it for a slackline footrest.

If you PM Smokebait (Stu) at Whoopieslings.com and ask about it he will know exactly what you are talking about. He sold the extra long whoopie sling to me as if it was a pair of 10 footers. The whole rig was very economical, well worth it, and only took a very short time to recieve in the mail.

I have been using the rig for about eight months now, and I am very satisfied with it. I have both a removeable ASRL, and a hammock/easy chair at the same time. And if'n you couldn't already guess, I do like to lollygag in my hammock while enjoying the Piney Woods.

Happy trails
    Barefoot Child
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains

Thanks!

Thank you for all the good info...I guess I did not realize that the ridge line maintains the sag. When I attached one to my hammock, the ridge line lost it's tension as soon as I got in the hammock, I am obviously doing something wrong. Anyway the whole idea behind it and behind using the masons line was to use one of tiny hanging levels to ensure a level setup while setting the sag.....sounds like this two for one is not going to fly.

I will contemplate some other ideas tonight while lying in my hammock which is currently suspended by the structural posts in my man cave....basement.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    As others have mentioned, the RL sets AND maintains the sag.

You weren't doing anything wrong - your situation when you sat in the hammock and the RL went slack was dependent on your angles and how taught your suspension was.

Make your suspension tighter or looser or change your angles and observe how your RL tension changes. Tighten your suspension - your RL gets more taught and visa versa. Change your angles and the RL tension changes as well.

Meaning that, in the field where conditions may not be prime (farther/shorter than desirable distance or steeper angles), your RL maintains the same sag no matter how tight or loose your suspension is or how steep or not the angles are.

Experiment in the man cave with tightening or loosening the suspension and changing the angles. Pay attention to how the hammock reacts and feels when you lay in it and it will become crystal clear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast