Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 Dbl & BBO
    Tarp
    WB Big Mambajama
    Insulation
    Minicel pad & SBag
    Suspension
    Warbonnet stock

Question Dumb Noob Question

I've been hanging out on this forum (no pun intended - well, maybe) for a few weeks and finally registered. I first saw a reference to hammock camping on another forum and that started me doing some research.

I'm an avid motorcycle rider and often camp out while touring but I'm getting old and tenting doesn't have as much charm for me as it once did. So.. on to hammocks. I've recently ordered a WBBB for my use and I have a question that I haven't seen answered here.

What do you do when you have no trees? I know that the hammock can be used as a bivy, but can a hammock be hung from a permanent structure as in a highway rest area picnic table shelter or a power pole or a combination of the two?

Has anyone here ever done this? Have you ever had any problems with authorities? I know that where there's a will, there's a way. Often times while riding, I just need to get off the bike and get a couple hours of sleep. Rest areas are the most convenient but sometimes other options are presented.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Great forum, by the way!
    Steve

You're invited to visit my Blog: www.guideforgeezers.blogspot.com

"I Never knock on Death's Door. I Just ring the bell and run. He hates that"... Methusula

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    i have hung successfully from the metal poles that hold up chain link -in that case a tennis court surround- and a single tree at the other end; just take a couple more wraps with the tree hugger for additional 'grip'.
    another aspect is to search here for 'stealth' hanging, or on the web for 'extreme hammocking' for other ideas,
    good luck, and welcome to the learning curve! KM

Hammock
    ENO DN / DIY
    Tarp
    9 x 7 cheapie
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Straps and Rings
    I've hung from a picnic table shelter before. Just make sure that the structure you want to hang from is in good condition! It needs to be strong in a lateral direction, most structures are built to take stress vertically. You don't want to get in your hammock and pull the supports inwards, collapsing the whole thing on top of you. If it's an old rickety one, I wouldn't hang from it. I've seen people on here hang with one end on a tree and the other on their vehicle. If it's strong enough and stationary, you can hang from just about anything.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    I am guessing you have a pretty heavy road bike. You might be able to rig a low hang from your bars out front. You could stabilize the bike with guy lines to tent pegs if needed. I have seen rigs where hiking poles were used with 3 guy lines. I think the pole end would need to rest on something to keep it from sinking. I saw a pic where someone used ski poles. They have that circular gizmo on the bottom to keep them from sinking in the snow. Maybe one end off the bike and one pole support, fence post, or tree if one is available. Like you say, where there is a will..... I'll bet someone like Shug will post a picture showing just how it is done.
    "To turn from this increasingly artificial and strangely alien world is to escape from unreality. To return to the timeless world of the mountains, the sea, the forest and the stars is to return to sanity and truth." --Robert Burnham Jr.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No See Um
    Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings!
    Images
    I know I am new here two, but I had a thought. If you have one solid object (Post, tree, Bike, Etc.) then you could find something to use as a post on the other end. Doesn't have to be stuck in the ground, but you will need to have some guy wires to keep it stable. Use that as the other end. I think I saw something of the sort in one of Shug's videos. His or Grizzly's, I can't remember now.

They had plenty of trees, but they were too far apart, so he found a good stout limb about 3' in diameter and made it up as he went along.

Good luck!!

Tinker

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    you are only limited by your imagination form hanging (in my case that means I am in big trouble as I lost mine)
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 Dbl & BBO
    Tarp
    WB Big Mambajama
    Insulation
    Minicel pad & SBag
    Suspension
    Warbonnet stock
    Thanks everyone for your replies. You've given me a lot to think about.

I find as I travel that I've started looking for likely places to hang if I were on my bike and looking for a few hours of rest. I suppose some would see this as a sickness but... any port in a storm.
    Steve

You're invited to visit my Blog: www.guideforgeezers.blogspot.com

"I Never knock on Death's Door. I Just ring the bell and run. He hates that"... Methusula

• + New Posts