TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    1 - Look again at the "short" sides (head and foot ends) of your incubator. One is slightly longer than the other and that is the "head" end. On both of my incubators, the head end is the end where the suspension is knotted, so that may be how Adam & Jen build them.

2 - Both of my incubators have small attachment loops along both long sides and one or two(?) attachment loops on the short sides. These can be used to either attach the UQ to the hammock or to attach some shock cord that will run over your hammock ridge line to help hold up the UQ.

You may also need to shorten up the main suspension. Just tie another knot down from the original suspension knot, taking up 5-6" of cord on each side. I've had to shorten up the suspension on both incubators when hanging on my WBBB and my TtTTG Light Hiker.

Patience and practice will get you there.
    +1 on everything ^shane^ said. Head end is very slightly wider than foot end. Mine has loops all along the long sides (both sides) and one loop on each end. I read a post from someone who attached a small shockcord from the foot end to his suspension to keep the foot end from migrating away from the footbox of his WBBB. Mine has shockcord in both end channels. I read a post somewhere on HF (from Adam?) that it's best to shake the quilt from the sides to distribute the down, not from the ends.
    KJ

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Suggestion: I know there are lots of different hammocks, but to help people out, maybe the Hammock Gear folks should put a page on their website with general instructions. The "head end being different from the foot end," for example, is news to me.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the advice.

I really cannot see a difference in the ends of my incubator - could it be that older versions do not taper off at one end?

With regards to pulling the shock cords really tight: I already did this. And I added shock cords to the ends, which are supposed to keep the quilt from sagging towards the center. I haven't had any cold spots since, but I'm still waiting for a really cold night.

However: since I pulled the shock cords this tight, my quilt keeps moving to the right side (shelf side of my Blackbird). It doesn't move all the way, but enough so that I need to pull it back during the night, since my left should might get cold. Why does it do that?

Also I'm still interested in getting an answer to my original questions:

1. why does the Incubator have an elastic draw cord on one side, and a non-elastic draw cord on the other?
    2. why does it have loops on only one of the long sides, but not on the other? What can you do with those? Do they attach to certain hammocks?

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    1 - Look again at the "short" sides (head and foot ends) of your incubator. One is slightly longer than the other and that is the "head" end. On both of my incubators, the head end is the end where the suspension is knotted, so that may be how Adam & Jen build them.

2 - Both of my incubators have small attachment loops along both long sides and one or two(?) attachment loops on the short sides. These can be used to either attach the UQ to the hammock or to attach some shock cord that will run over your hammock ridge line to help hold up the UQ.

You may also need to shorten up the main suspension. Just tie another knot down from the original suspension knot, taking up 5-6" of cord on each side. I've had to shorten up the suspension on both incubators when hanging on my WBBB and my TtTTG Light Hiker.

Patience and practice will get you there.
    Hm, so your Incubators are looped on both sides? Strange. I definitely only have loops on one side. Manufacturing error?

How much wider is the head end supposed to be? Just 1 or 2 centimeters?

I really wish Hammock Gear had some videos on how to use their gear like Warbonnet does...

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that it even makes a difference in how you "fluff" the down. Can't remember whether it was to fluff horizontal or fluff vertical??
    that would depend how the baffles are sewn. eg, my incubator comes w/ horizontal and the jrb mw3c w/ vertical baffles... so, how about karo baffles?

Hammock
    Anything hanging in the living room
    You're right - We need videos. We have been in the works for it. Hoping to get a bunch up and running in the next few weeks. Hopefully that will help the folks on here with their questions. Thanks, all!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe with 2QZQ
    Tarp
    CCS, Kondos, Mamaj
    Insulation
    HG Incubator TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I just received my 3 season Incubator and top quilt today and took them for a test run in the park with my WBBB hammock. I have some questions about the Incubator.

I figured out the foot end and the head end. When inside the hammock, I had a gap between the hammock and the center of the head end of the incubator. I see the small loop to which I could attach a cord but what can I attach it to? The ridge line of the hammock is inside the mosquito netting. Do you just make a loop or rope/shock cord, pass it over the ridge line, and attach each end to the same point on the UQ?

My biggest issue with with the foot box on the hammock. Once I get inside and then shift to an asymmetric position, my feet pop over the top of the underquilt. The underquilt is more or less symmetric so is there a trick to using it with the WBBB?

Apart from those two issues that I need to figure out, I am quite pleased. I really like the top quilt which is a big improvement over a sleeping bag. Once I get the UQ figured out, I will be warm as toast.

Sometimes it helps having someone to be inside the hammock while you dial it in so you can get your quilt to match you lay.. Adam has hooked up an incubator on a blackbird with me in and and he adjusted it to accomodate my dogs. Also don't be affraid to really get the quilt taught.. it's cut differentially so no matter what you're not going to compress the down

Hammock
    Tarp
    CCS, Kondos, Mamaj
    Insulation
    HG Incubator TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Sometimes it helps having someone to be inside the hammock while you dial it in so you can get your quilt to match you lay.. Adam has hooked up an incubator on a blackbird with me in and and he adjusted it to accomodate my dogs. Also don't be affraid to really get the quilt taught.. it's cut differentially so no matter what you're not going to compress the down
    Thanks. I think I need to tighten up the shock cords and do something with the center loop on the head end. Also, I found this recent thread:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...wbbb+incubator

Hammock
    Tarp
    CCS, Kondos, Mamaj
    Insulation
    HG Incubator TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well, I had some time this morning to fuss about with the gear. I found out a couple of things which might seem obvious but I thought I would port them.

The UQ's fit much better if the hammock's side tie outs are unused. Once inside the hammock it feels a little tighter but in the cold that is just fine.

Everyone was right about cinching down the shock cords, especially the short ones at each end which help to form a tighter seal.

Also, I got a great fit with my Hennessy hammock with the 2QZQ mods. Being able to unzip both sides of the hammock makes it easy to position the underquilt once inside. If you can access only one side, like with the WBBB it is more of a nuisance to adjust. I think that I will end up using my larger Hennessy in the colder weather with an underquilt and the WBBB in warm weather.

I figured out the door kit on the Big Mamajamba tarp. Excellent design. The tarp is bomb proof with the doors on.

Once attached properly, my 3-season Incubator with 2 oz overfill is toasty and very comfortable.

The thick ropes on the Hennessy work well with climbing rings.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast