Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Incubator Questions

I have been using my lovely 3S Incubator (bought in October 2010) for several weeks now. A couple of nights ago, temperature plummeted to around 3°C (all other nights were a lot warmer), and I woke up with lots of cold spots. Now, I am a very cold sleeper, but the underquilt is rated to at least -9°C - plus I had a hot water bottle in my sleeping bag that night. Therefore I figured that I had to be doing something wrong.

After going through a few threads here, I think my quilt wasn't close enough to the hammock. As far as I could feel, there was a 2-finger wide gap between the hammock fabric and the quilt. I assume that this decreased insulation. I now got some shock cord to pull the quilt closer to the hammock, as other members have suggested. I'm waiting for the next cold night to see if this improved things.

However, when looking at the Incubator more closely, I noticed a couple of things that I didn't understand.

1. There doesn't seem to be a head end and a foot end - at least the quilt seems to be the same width at both ends. But on one end, the draw string is made of shock cord, on the other it's a non-elastic cord. Why? Does it make a difference which end is where?

2. One side of my Incubatore has a lot of loops - the other side has none. Which side are the loops supposed to be? And what are they for?

Maybe once I know what these features are for, I will help me to get a better performance of the Incubator?

Thanks for any advice.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    incubator/burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Images
    Sorry, can't help yet, waiting for delivery of my incubator but I will watch this thread a I hope I don't have any issues like this but if I do I'll have some answers hopefully. Good luck.

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    1. There doesn't seem to be a head end and a foot end - at least the quilt seems to be the same width at both ends. But on one end, the draw string is made of shock cord, on the other it's a non-elastic cord. Why? Does it make a difference which end is where?

2. One side of my Incubatore has a lot of loops - the other side has none. Which side are the loops supposed to be? And what are they for?
    1 - Look again at the "short" sides (head and foot ends) of your incubator. One is slightly longer than the other and that is the "head" end. On both of my incubators, the head end is the end where the suspension is knotted, so that may be how Adam & Jen build them.

2 - Both of my incubators have small attachment loops along both long sides and one or two(?) attachment loops on the short sides. These can be used to either attach the UQ to the hammock or to attach some shock cord that will run over your hammock ridge line to help hold up the UQ.

You may also need to shorten up the main suspension. Just tie another knot down from the original suspension knot, taking up 5-6" of cord on each side. I've had to shorten up the suspension on both incubators when hanging on my WBBB and my TtTTG Light Hiker.

Patience and practice will get you there.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    You have to really stretct the shock cord tight by pulling a lot of slack, to the point of lifting the hammock. I probably pulled a good 12' -14" of slack cord. Some people cut the length and some tie it off. I tied mine off. Mine has the little loops on both sides and I use them to secure the quilt around the hammock for stuffing it all in a dry sack.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    When I got my 3S Incubator I held it up to the light and could see several areas of light bleeding thru due to no fill. I find I have to shake out, plump up the quilt to try to distribute the fill evenly

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    incubator/burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Images
    I thought I read somewhere that it even makes a difference in how you "fluff" the down. Can't remember whether it was to fluff horizontal or fluff vertical??

I just give it a quick shake and leave it alone for a few minutes. If you feel like an area is lacking down you can always fiddle with it back into place. These things pack down crazy small and they aren't like synthetic that will stay in place.. These are tons of individual pieces of insulation so there is a trade for packability and remarkable warmth.

Also, seems most peoples cold spots with the inc is because of not having it tight enough.. seems tight enough seems too tight when you're initially setting it up and getting used to it. The differential will keep you from crushing insulation so tighten that baby up and you should be go to go.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    SO their is def some fiddle factor when using the incubator or any full length UQ IMHO. Some I'm sure find it easier then others but it always takes me a bit of playing around with. Some things that I have found works for me (mostly suggested by others and learned on this wonderful forum) are

1. Pull the shock cord so tight that the quilt lifts the hammock and the quilt is above the hammock ridgeline and not sagging at all. Some cut out a piece of shock cord other just tie it off (I tie it off) but it certainly helps

2. I put either my down vest or JRB down sleeves between the UQ and Hammock and that does a great job of sealing up the elusive CBS that always has a way of creeping up on you at one point in the night or another.

3. Your already doing it but shock cord does help. I use this as a last option simply because I just find it to get in the way when tied over the ridge line.

Well hope some of this helps, enjoy the UQ its a great piece of gear

LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I talked to Adam when I got mine. The biggest thing with cold spots is getting it tight enough, as previously stated. Pull the shock cord tighter and tie another knot!!
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    The colder it get's, the tighter it will need to be(within reason of course)
    Personally i was sure i had to tight the first night and was very surprised to find my UQ hanging 4 inches below me. I needed to tie the knot around 14-15 inches longer in on the schockcord...... No problems after that
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast